Nebraska

• 181 replies

Marillac

Re: Nebraska
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2017, 10:44:05 PM »
Great game. We completely outclassed a major conference team. The effort on the boards was outstanding. 16 offensive rebounds! The defense was good too....took some charges, established defensive position, and went for smart blocks.

Yakwe had 5 boards (2 offensive) and he was in position to dunk 3-4 more if missed. Great effort on both sides. He has some switches where he looked like a wing on defense. But Jesus Christ are his hands awful or what? He needs to handle 300 passes every day after practice.

Lovett takes some bad threes. He had two awful shots at the beginning of the possession off the bounce. Gross. I love when he's spotting up or getting to the basket .

Ponds was probably too good for my liking with all the scouts on hand. The kid is on another level.

Bash was throwing his body around aggressively for the first time.

Clark needs to use his body better and more often. He can eat people alive if he wanted to. I'm hoping it's just a matter of finding his role.

Simon was awesome. When he's in the paint on either side of the ball, I feel very good. Let's get him and Ponds some looks on the low block?!

Owens was awesome. That's the player we all loved last year.

redslope

« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »
Great game atmosphere, did a real good job on D and rebounding, played with intensity. Only negatives were foul shooting, committing too many fouls,and sometimes a little too much French pastry when the simple play probably better off. hope there are many more games like last night. team needs to stay grounded as comp will only get better.

Agree  CA was really alive tonight with a number of standing O's for team.  This is what Coach has been preaching about offense, and I believe this style of play will be seen as a positive by future recruits and from the seats it is fun to watch.  Loved how they built a lead and did not give it back.  PS==if you told me we shot under 30% from 3, I'd have thought no way we win.  Also we either played good defense or Nebraska sucks when it comes to shooting. 

MCNPA

« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2017, 10:49:35 PM »
It's nice having multiple scoring options.   Haven't had that in awhile. 

Simon with 23 rebounds and two assists the last two games. Are you ready to admit he's a SF and not a PG?

Simon with 23 rebounds and two assists the last two games. Are you ready to admit he's a SF and not a PG?

I think he’s a guy, who can’t shoot, who is playing in the role he was given.  I don’t think he’s a SF because he’s taking zero outside shots.  He’s closer to a PG to tell the truth, but he’s reboinding like a PF.  I think he’s a total hybrid, who is amazingly mature and playing to his strengths better than just about any young player I’ve seen.  He resists all temptation to chuck the ball up and do too much, yet he utilized all of his positive attributes to double-double.  I think a kid like that, his shot will come along.  Reminds me of Postell his first season, where his shot wasn’t looking good, but used all his skills til it came along.  Great player, but he’s no more a sf than PG... his passingnisnexcellent.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:51:33 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »
He reminds me of a smaller version of senior year Dom with how he's playing.  Not as big, probably won't rebound as well in traffic or block shots against bigger players as Dom did as a senior, and more guard/wing skills.  But he's all over the place and crazy athletic.  Playing like a great glue guy.

Poison

« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
Tonight is the biggest game in the Mullin era to date bc of what it means for his critical third season. We win tonight and we're steaming, not limping down to Orlando. This game sets the table for our road trips down South and out West.

I agree, but we have to also keep in mind that Nebraska isn’t a test like Marquette was tested against Purdue or DePaul was tested against Notre Dame. If we’re an NIT team we should beat Nebraska. If we’re a tournament team we should beat them handily. It’s a big game. I’ll be there.
So we'll have a poisonous atmosphere at Carnesecca Arena tonight.

Atmosphere? I expect the atmosphere to be good. I don’t follow your point. I was talking about a way to gage where we are. A loss is probably pretty bad but a win doesn’t get us AP votes or anything. There’s a reason we’ve been paired with Nebraska.
I think he was joking, referencing your user name.
Thank-you. Apparently Poison's sarcasm detector is on the fritz.

Oh, whoops. Sorry. Funny.

« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2017, 11:26:53 PM »

I think he’s a guy, who can’t shoot, who is playing in the role he was given.  I don’t think he’s a SF because he’s taking zero outside shots.  He’s closer to a PG to tell the truth, but he’s reboinding like a PF.  I think he’s a total hybrid, who is amazingly mature and playing to his strengths better than just about any young player I’ve seen.  He resists all temptation to chuck the ball up and do too much, yet he utilized all of his positive attributes to double-double.  I think a kid like that, his shot will come along.  Reminds me of Postell his first season, where his shot wasn’t looking good, but used all his skills til it came along.  Great player, but he’s no more a sf than PG... his passingnisnexcellent.

When he takes a shot and he is following through, he flicks his wrist way too fast on the release. He is trying to force good form but it's not natural yet. that is why he is essentially following through too fast which makes him shoot it long. He has to relax, shoot it a little more vertically and it'll be a better shot.

Marillac

« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2017, 11:37:13 PM »

When he takes a shot and he is following through, he flicks his wrist way too fast on the release. He is trying to force good form but it's not natural yet. that is why he is essentially following through too fast which makes him shoot it long. He has to relax, shoot it a little more vertically and it'll be a better shot.

From a distance the trey he took today was good. I was shocked it was him. His FT form is as bad as I've ever seen from wing. I really like him as a player, but I like him at the three and four.

« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2017, 11:38:01 PM »

So far, he knows his limitations, as he's only taken two treys.  Both have been wide open looks, and he hit nothing but net on both of 'em.

It does look like he is short arming some of his shots closer to the bucket by flicking his wrist a bit too fast.  Regardless, I think he'll be alright in the long run.  He brings so much to the table and is stuffing the stat sheet in the early going.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:39:53 PM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2017, 11:45:35 PM »
Great game tonight. There is still so much they can improve on, but we were so much more talented at the guard positions than Nebraska that they were only able to stop us from beating them by 40 points by getting lucky and knocking down threes.

Ponds is a magician with the ball. He was 0-6 from 3, and it really didn’t matter. I’m sure he’ll find his 3 point stroke.

LoVett is playing a lot like a lead scoring as opposed to a point guard. Also, I see some Darryl “Showtime” Hill in his game, and I’d prefer less of it.

Simon - I love this kid. He’s everywhere. He sets the tone defensively. We got after it tonight Jed by Justin Simon. Reminds me of Lavor Postell. Probably a better passer and ball handler. If he can develop a 3 point shot, I think he’s a pro.

Owens - Great game by the big fella. This is what we were hoping he’d do this season. 9 boards and 6 blocks.

Clark - I think there is an identity crisis that needs resolved. He’s probaably a fine scorer from all over, but we really don’t need or want him to play like a 2 guard, but that’s what’s he’s doing. He’s also not rushing to box out enough. Hope he stays interested even if he’s not a big scorer.

Ahmed - He started off a hot mess. Turning it over on forced shots and missing the easy ones. He picked it up though. Hit a couple of threes and found Clark open for three when last season he would have just forced his way and picked up the charge.

Yakwe - Gotta give him credit. I haven’t seen him play with any season of purpose this season, but his rebounding was really promising tonight. If he pays just that well, he should get 20/25 minutes a game at center. Good for him for not giving up.

Trimble - Didn’t see much out of him tonight.

Alibegovic - He played one minute tonight. That should be his average.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:46:27 PM by Poison »

QuanMan

« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2017, 11:56:20 PM »
The crowd single handedly took over the game at the 12minute mark of the 2nd half. Collectively with the team's swarming defense, the crowd was rocking and the team put Nebraska in a body bag.

Marcus is a special player. He's under sung and over shadowed by Shamorie yet is easily one of the best guards of the past 30 years within the program. He's lights out from the perimeter, has the ball on a string with his handle, and is a pest defensively.

The trio of Marcus-Shamorie-Justin is special to watch. We have a tandem that will soon be recognized nationally, they're that good together.

The team defense and gang rebounding has been top notch. The amount of forced turnovers over the first three games is something that they can hang their hat on heading down to Orlando.

There is real hype with this season now. If they come out of next week 2-1 I'll be happy, but I think we steam roll Oregon St. and there is a sudden Michael Porter injury looming with Mizzou. I'm not counting out a championship game appearance for us one bit.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2017, 02:46:04 AM »
Poorly attended again; 3.5k - 4k range.  They were loud, however.  The exciting/entertaining style of play this team's exhibiting is helping the crowd energy and Alumni hall environment in a big way. 

The Buffalo chicken pizza at the Taffner pre-game was good and spicy.  Plus, I was able to purchase my first and fifth ever beer at an on campus basketball event. And I've been going there for 40+ years. Nice!

61 - 55 - 56
Carmine's locker combination at the Christopher St. Turkish bath?  No, the opponent's scores of our first 3 games.  We could win some game's if this continues. No less of a sage basketball observer than Carmine's mom had this to say about the Johnnies defensive effort; "Last year we didn't run back to try and stop them like we do this year.  They would just score so easily."

Second slow start in a row for Love It.  Don't recall him leaving the gate slowly being a problem last year.  Lucky he didn't get a taunting tech when he was jawing to the Nebraska bench after the guy got one after his "and one" over TO.

If Mongaup's three starts falling??? Look out!

33 1/3 are dangerous and crafty scorers and distributors.  It's a real pleasure.

I'm still learning the newbies but I'm hoping Marvin's foul trouble doesn't become a season long issue.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:47:56 AM by carmineabbatiello »

paultzman

« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2017, 07:13:37 AM »
Impressive win, enjoyed the crowd support & bu X at CA.  Speed kills with this team & Simon is perfect complement to dynamic duo.

In Marillac's corner for a change, Ponds is best player on team. When he's off from perimeter, his drives are remarkable.

We'll have our ups & downs, but this is a fun watch.

paultzman

« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2017, 07:53:54 AM »

Foad

« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »

« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
Nebraska is not very good but that was impressive. Theoretically it was a team we should struggle against. If Simon plays this way maybe not. I really like Simon. Dating myself but reminds me of Paul Pressey sr the original point forward. Going to give Simon highest compliment. He would have fir in nicely on Elite 8 team.

« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
BTW, the 'start the tractor' chant from the student section was sweet.

« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »
Clark’s numbers haven’t been great but I really like the way he plays. He boxes out well which allows our guards to fly in for rebounds. We need him for more than 25 minutes a night. Btw through 3 games him and Simon are shootings 100% from 3.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2017, 11:26:15 AM »
Clark’s numbers haven’t been great but I really like the way he plays. He boxes out well which allows our guards to fly in for rebounds. We need him for more than 25 minutes a night. Btw through 3 games him and Simon are shootings 100% from 3.
I initially thought the same thing about his numbers. When factoring the minutes played , the numbers are probably good. He’s built like a bull and should not be fouling so much.

« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2017, 11:28:46 AM »
I initially thought the same thing about his numbers. When factoring the minutes played , the numbers are probably good. He’s built like a bull and should not be fouling so much.

He picked up a bullshit foul in first minute of the game. Those are killers.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.