Game 7: UCF

• 274 replies

Marillac

Re: Game 7: UCF
« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »

To be flying back at 2-1 was the goal

In what world was that the goal? We are St. John's not St. Peter's.

goredmen

« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2017, 03:21:12 PM »
Our guys were exhausted. So were their guys.

If 18-22 year olds were exhausted by playing 3 games in 4 days we need a new conditioning coach

« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
Was a complete chore of a Sunday morning but 6-1 feels nice, 3rd place is ok, safe flight to all down in Florida.

paultzman

« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »

Simon wants to know when your celery & water diet is over. :)

« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »
NIT

MCNPA

« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2017, 04:02:11 PM »
With a glass half-full view on this, we are 6-1 and had a good shot to be 7-0 primarily because our defense is much improved this season.   Our offense is what has been atrocious and to tell the truth. That is really our strength.  We aren't showing it right now, and when we do start hitting it our stride, we are gonna be pretty good.  Very happy to get a win here and keep building our resume'.  We are certainly going to get a lot better by season's end...

« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
With a glass half-full view on this, we are 6-1 and had a good shot to be 7-0 primarily because our defense is much improved this season.   Our offense is what has been atrocious and to tell the truth. That is really our strength.  We aren't showing it right now, and when we do start hitting it our stride, we are gonna be pretty good.  Very happy to get a win here and keep building our resume'.  We are certainly going to get a lot better by season's end...

The only good thing about today's game was the team who finished with the most points.  Everything else was terrible.  And no they are not that close to being 7-0 since if they somehow managed to win the Mizzou game they wouldn't have played UCF but rather WVU.  And WVU would have hung a 25 point loss on them today...

« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2017, 04:30:50 PM »

Simon wants to know when your celery & water diet is over. :)

Ha!

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »
NIT

How’s Iona doing this year? 😂😂😂😂

« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »
Didn't Yakwe face up and get by guys at will as a freshman? Why is that off the table?

No, he didn't regularly. If it did happen. It was rare.

« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »
One thing I have been disappointed with is Clark's play. Sure, he can step out and hit some 3's but I was expecting more from him off the dribble and in the paint (thinking Brownlee). Against a zone like today, you get the ball to him in the gap and he should go to work. Ahmed will be key against zones going forward because he can hit from mid-range or take it to the hoop.

Overall, offense needs a lot of work. They are playing way too reckless and fast.

« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »

Poison

« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2017, 05:35:03 PM »
Our guys were exhausted. So were their guys.

If 18-22 year olds were exhausted by playing 3 games in 4 days we need a new conditioning coach

Maybe we do, but both teams looked to me like they were playing tired.

Poison

« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »
A little surprised that Trimble didn’t play a minute. He ok?

« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »
A little surprised that Trimble didn’t play a minute. He ok?
Flu

redslope

« Reply #175 on: November 26, 2017, 05:43:09 PM »

The only good thing about today's game was the team who finished with the most points.  Everything else was terrible.  And no they are not that close to being 7-0 since if they somehow managed to win the Mizzou game they wouldn't have played UCF but rather WVU.  And WVU would have hung a 25 point loss on them today...

The only good thing to me was that I did not have to pay to watch this game.

Only "positive" is that this is the first SJU team to win 6 games in November.

MCNPA

« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2017, 05:57:50 PM »

The only good thing to me was that I did not have to pay to watch this game.

Only "positive" is that this is the first SJU team to win 6 games in November.

That's quite a big positive for us. 

« Reply #177 on: November 26, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »
I only followed this game online because I wasn't in front of a TV.  While we obviously did not play well, winning games matters, to state the obvious.  We've had some bad losses in the non-con the last few years, and to avoid that thus far is a good sign.  Teams get better, and I think this group will improve.  We've had plenty of years - see Lavin's first year as an example - where we played poorly during the early season non-con and eeked out games against mediocre or subpar opponents (like today).  But learning to win, ugly or otherwise, is a good thing.

« Reply #178 on: November 26, 2017, 08:52:27 PM »

« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2017, 08:54:54 PM »

It was a rough game. 6-1. I’ll take it.