Game 7: UCF

• 274 replies
Re: Game 7: UCF
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2017, 08:57:26 PM »
Unreal. This was the ugliest game I've ever seen. UCF was playing without their best player and first team all-conference guard or they would have won by 15. Simon tried to give the game away at the end with that "pass." Four turnovers today plus that and he dribbled the ball off his foot that was recovered by us. That was on like 30 dribbles. 9 turnovers in two games.

We miss Mussini badly.

Jesus Christ, Coach Mullin, go zone!!! Are you kidding?!

Mussini comment completely discredits this post.

desco80

« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2017, 08:57:40 PM »

To be flying back at 2-1 was the goal

In what world was that the goal? We are St. John's not St. Peter's.

6-1 at this point in the season is fine.   It could be much worse. 

cjfish

« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2017, 09:23:14 PM »
Big win because it's not a bad loss. 2-1 is fine. Hope the team learns from this (not using their hands on defense/avoiding foul trouble, lovett not taking 20 crazy shots, and more crisp offense against a zone) and they move on.

I hope you mean not using their feet

« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
Ugly win beats pretty loss, onto next.

« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »
Same thing happened at Atlantis. 2 good games than the wheels came off in the third.

We held a D1 team to 43 points on neutral or less than court.

Winning with Walden scoring his first point 30 minutes in and getting his first basket 36 minutes in was a miracle.

Simon 5 for 5 from 3 on the year. MC hammer 10 for 17.

Love it's defensive pressure and hands were a revelation this tourney.

goredmen

« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2017, 11:08:30 PM »
The staff now has a week to go over the tape and correct some stuff before a cupcake game on Saturday then the west coast trip. The top 3 things I'd like to see the staff emphasize this week:

1. Shot selection: It's the most underrated thing in basketball. Way too many bad shots early in the shot clock, mostly by Lovett but he's not just him. We have two guys in Lovett and Ponds that can create their own shot at the end of the shot clock if need be. The first 25 seconds should be spent moving the ball around to get layups or open 3s. Lovett taking long contested 2s with 22 left on the shot clock is as good as a turnover.

2. When to help and when not to help. Specifically in the Missouri game we got burned too often by guys helping off their man when they didn't have to leaving shooters wide open. Lovett, Ponds and Simon are quick and haven't been getting beat off the dribble much thus far so there is no need for help anytime somebody tries to drive on them. We also have rim protectors like Owens or Yakwe on the court most of the time to block a shot if a guy does get beat off the dribble.

3. Pick and Pop D. Porter got too many easy 3 looks just from a simple pick and pop. Teams with bigs that can step out and make shots will hurt us if we don't correct this.

Oregon State and Mizzou actually had better 3 point shooting % than 2 point shooting % against us. Small sample size but something to keep an eye on

Marillac

« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2017, 02:01:13 AM »
 We have the best backcourt in the Big East according to everyone, so then why are Ahmed and Simon allowed to rack up NINE turnovers (that could easily have been 12 without extreme good fortune)? Why is Lovett relegated to a SG role when he can get to the basket at will?

Time to establish the post on a regular basis with Simon and Clark. Run some offense through them. Let's get back to setting multiple screens every set and formthr love of God teach Clark and Yakwe to stand still on their screens. We've got a 6'7 230 forward, use it. Make the opposing guards collide with him every possession and let's see how they look with 5-10 minutes left.

« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2017, 05:20:28 AM »
People need to relax. This YOUNG team was playing it’s 3rd game in 4 days. With the pace we play at it was obvious some fatigue had set in by second half.

A win is a win. U take it and move on folks. And anyone criticizing Justin Simon needs their head examined. Besides ponds he has been our best player. Sure he has to cut down on the turnovers which I’m sure the staff will address with him.

Anyone who wouldn’t have signed off on SJU being 6-1 right now is lying or dumb. Imo, we will be 8-1 going into the ASU game. Nobody could have asked for better than that from this squad.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:27:17 AM by Mullin77 »

Marillac

« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2017, 05:42:08 AM »
People need to relax. This YOUNG team was playing it’s 3rd game in 4 days. With the pace we play at it was obvious some fatigue had set in by second half.

A win is a win. U take it and move on folks. And anyone criticizing Justin Simon needs their head examined. Besides ponds he has been our best player. Sure he has to cut down on the turnovers which I’m sure the staff will address with him.

Anyone who wouldn’t have signed off on SJU being 6-1 right now is lying or dumb. Imo, we will be 8-1 going into the ASU game. Nobody could have asked for better than that from this squad.

The team isn't that young. Ahmed is a 24 year old senior, Alibegovic is a senior, Clark and Owens are in their fourth years in college, Lovett and Simon are in their third years, and Ponds is a sophomore that averaged over 35 mpg for his career. We only have one freshman. We'll be younger next year losing Alibegovic, Ahmed, and likely Lovett and bringing in three freshmen.

« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2017, 06:57:14 AM »

The team isn't that young. Ahmed is a 24 year old senior, Alibegovic is a senior, Clark and Owens are in their fourth years in college, Lovett and Simon are in their third years, and Ponds is a sophomore that averaged over 35 mpg for his career. We only have one freshman. We'll be younger next year losing Alibegovic, Ahmed, and likely Lovett and bringing in three freshmen.
agreed. young as in experience playing on the floor at the same time but definitely not young as in age

« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2017, 07:30:46 AM »

agreed. young as in experience playing on the floor at the same time but definitely not young as in age
That is what I meant genius... bunch of whiney bitches on this board.

Once again, anyone who would not have settled for 8-1 going into ASU game is just plain dumb. Plus, we start three sophomores & two transfers. Obviously it’s going to take 5-10 games to feel comfortable playing together.

Ahmed & the Italian kid is addition by subtraction.... and Lovett is not going anywhere  unless he wants  a career in China.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:43:14 AM by Mullin77 »

Marillac

« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »

That is what I meant u nice persons.... bunch of whiney bitches on this board.

Mizzou has five freshmen, two sophomores, and it's starting backcourt is comprised of first year transfers (Juco and grad). Their lone senior is a transfer who is playing his second season. And they have a new coach and staff to boot.

« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »

That is what I meant u nice persons.... bunch of whiney bitches on this board.

Mizzou has five freshmen, two sophomores, and it's starting backcourt is comprised of first year transfers (Juco and grad). Their lone senior is a transfer who is playing his second season. And they have a new coach and staff to boot.

And I’m suppose to give a shit about that why?... I’m talkin about OUR team genius.

Plus, if Clark doesn’t get in foul trouble because of some of the worst refs I’ve ever seen... we are 7-0 right now... but I’m sure u whiners would find something else to complain about.  :idiot2:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:00:10 AM by Mullin77 »

TONYD3

« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2017, 07:54:39 AM »
We are 6-1. Not because we are good or played well. We just played worse teams then us. Their crap level of play will not continue to produce wins. Nebraska, Oregon State, and this awful depleted central Florida team wouldn’t win a game in the big east. Enjoy being 6-1.
From memory, I remember norm Roberts going undefeated before conference started one year. That team sucked . It didn’t last!

« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2017, 07:58:23 AM »
We are 6-1. Not because we are good or played well. We just played worse teams then us. Their crap level of play will not continue to produce wins. Nebraska, Oregon State, and this awful depleted central Florida team wouldn’t win a game in the big east. Enjoy being 6-1.
From memory, I remember norm Roberts going undefeated before conference started one year. That team sucked . It didn’t last!
Is this a serious post?..lol.. I thought this was a SJU “fan” board.... guess not.

What a bunch of crybabies!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:18:28 AM by Mullin77 »

« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2017, 08:30:27 AM »

WRONG.... we already have two transfers waiting on deck so we will NOT be bringing in three frosh mr. basketball genius.lol

Dixon would be a sophomore & would replace Lovett IF he did leave. Plus, Keita who I think would be a junior to replace the contributions of both the Italian kid & Ahmed combined...which would not be hard because Ahmed gives up more points than he is worth.

Plus Keita would allow Clark to move to the PF spot where he belongs.

So where are these 3 freshmen u are talkin about?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:33:49 AM by Mullin77 »

Marillac

« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »

WRONG.... we already have two transfers waiting on deck so we will NOT be bringing in three frosh mr. basketball genius.lol

Dixon would be a sophomore & would replace Lovett IF he did leave. Plus, Keita who I think would be a junior to replace the contributions of both the Italian kid & Ahmed combined...which would not be hard because Ahmed gives up more points than he is worth.

You sound insane...chill out.
Next year we already have three freshmen signed:  Diakate, Josh Roberts, and Greg Williams. There will likely be another added. Our two transfers sitting out will only be sophomores along with Trimble. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »

You could say that about most teams at this point in the year.  Not sure what your point is?

Foad

« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2017, 08:59:03 AM »

« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »

You sound insane...chill out.
Next year we already have three freshmen signed:  Diakate, Josh Roberts, and Greg Williams. There will likely be another added. Our two transfers sitting out will only be sophomores along with Trimble. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
And u sound like a whiney cunt.... I was responding to the fact he said all we had were three frosh coming into replace Ahmed, AA and Lovett if he left... all I did was point out that those players would be replaced by transfers we already had on the roster... not any frosh being brought in dopey.... Plus, Diakite is with the team already as a red-shirt... and Williams will be riding the bench for two years. Only the young PF might have a shot at some PT next year.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:12:46 AM by Mullin77 »