ASU Game Dec 8 at Staples Center

• 186 replies
Re: ASU Game Dec 8 at Staples Center
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2017, 10:01:47 PM »
If Simon doesn't turn the ball over there, it's very possible we win. All momentum was in our favor.

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
We're a good team. Gotta beat St. Joe's and Iona

« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
Tough Loss....Team Played very good in second half.....Two Biggest Plays were 1. Simon's Turnover 2. Awful Offense Foul Call on Bashir....Team Fought and i do believe we win this game with Lovett....Must win next two be 10-2 going into big east. Owens and Clark played there best games and if we get contributions from them going forward we are going to be dangerous. Beside for Nova ...I think we can/should beat every team at least once.

« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2017, 10:08:42 PM »
3 points off the bench. Ugh

« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2017, 10:08:59 PM »
Simon's errant pass was the dagger, but Ponds was off all night

6 of 23 from field.... 1 of 8 from 3. Sloppy layups and he was playing back to the basket a lot too.  He did not seem fully engaged most of the game... maybe it was the fat lip he got.

Ahmed is just Ahmed... 

Clark & Owens carried us.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:22:25 PM by RedStormNC »

MCNPA

« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2017, 10:30:15 PM »
It’s not encouraging that Ponds was 6/23. Lovett a DNP and we still barely lost to an excellent top 16 team?  I know there are no good losses, but we literally lost to a top 16 team just because we didn’t play with a full lineup and we still haven’t found our offense.  We are limiting ourselves, otherwise we’d be undefeated and rather easily at that...

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2017, 10:40:32 PM »
I understand they had a shot and Arizona St is good and Lovett not being there hurts.  But they need to start winning these games.  They need to start making the plays at the end.  No guarantees that they will win all the games we think they should win.  Have to get the next 2.

Again not the end of the world they lost and they had a shot in the 2nd half with the ball but at some point they need to win these games.

MCNPA

« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2017, 10:48:11 PM »
I understand they had a shot and Arizona St is good and Lovett not being there hurts.  But they need to start winning these games.  They need to start making the plays at the end.  No guarantees that they will win all the games we think they should win.  Have to get the next 2.

Again not the end of the world they lost and they had a shot in the 2nd half with the ball but at some point they need to win these games.

Top 16 team, we have a short bench and without arguably our second best/best player.  With Lovett we win this one going away and arenin top 25 Monday.  We still aren’t playing well on offense and we need to.  We are playing well on defense which is more important imo.  Our offense sooner or later will kick in I’m confident.  A top 16 team averaging about 100 ppg isnt an easy game without a major starter.  I agree we could have won this one.  Ponds still hasn’t hit his rhythm and Lovett out.  When they’re both firing, they’re like 2+ Tra Holders...

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »
Ps second game still empty.

Poison

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2017, 11:19:20 PM »
If Simon doesn't turn the ball over there, it's very possible we win. All momentum was in our favor.

Yeah, my friend said the same exact thing. That was the moment. Still, a good effort. We battled back into it. I like what saw. Plenty of work to do, but we’re making progress. Next couple of games, it’s gotta click for us. We need everyone playing well at the same time.

« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2017, 11:32:54 PM »

« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2017, 12:25:09 AM »
I gotta say, it's easier to pay attention to the game at home on TV with less beer.  Spent too much of the 2nd half chatting with Ted and Lisa until we realized they had made it close. 

Love the effort to get back into the game.  I'll leave it at that. 

Great atmosphere.  Had a quick hello with Coach Mahoney.  About 70% of the STJ fans were friends and family of Justin Simon.  Met his ma, pa and grandma and they were all quite nice.  Weird, at halftime of the OK USC game they had a Hall of Fame lineup and it included Elgin Baylor, Jamaal Wilkes, Walton, Ralph Sampson and Mitch but not Chris.  Odd.  As some mentioned Artest and Mark Jackson in the front row for the game. 

My wife saw some guys watching Ted and I chat and they were saying "That's Ted" but they walked away without introducing themselves.  Gotta assume they were posters.  Sorry we missed you. 

Good time was had by all.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:25:51 AM by austour »

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2017, 01:43:50 AM »
59% Ft's for us and 85% for them in a tight game.  That's all she wrote.

6 for 23 and 1 for 8 from our star guard ain't gonna get it done.  Their star guard was great.  In fact their entire offense looked all world first half.  They really were sharing the sugar.

Just prior to the Simon turnover everyone's talking bout (wasn't the ref. in the way?) Bash had missed an open three to take the lead and was victimized on the phantom charge that would have tied it.

Glad we fought gallantly second half to get back in it but disappointing to lose a winnable game that would have projected us into the national rankings.

The announcing team was exceptionally strong.  Despite one of them falling in love with the "rock fight" description too much.

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2017, 09:29:19 AM »
All I'm  saying is, they are much more competitive in their losses, which is a good thing.  Again many of their losses last year they were blown out. 

Now the next step is they need to finish especially away from home against some of these better teams.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:01:41 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2017, 09:35:13 AM »
Ya definitely a better loss than we had last year

Johnny23

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »
I gotta admit. This team is much improved. Very encouraging if they keep this up the rest of the way. Fun having a competitive team to watch.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:13:06 PM by Johnny23 »

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
This is a team that's one major player away from being relevant.  As I wrote before, we need a player who can put the team on his back.  With Lovett out, we were two players away.  We were way down in the first half.  Arizona toyed with us in the second half...then when it mattered, they scored the final eleven points.  Cat and mouse...and we're the mouse.

Foad

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »

« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
West coast recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/
You said Dan Majerle looked like an eggplant. A friend of mine said he looked like Shreck.