SJU-Iona game thread

• 96 replies

wpc77

Re: SJU-Iona game thread
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »
-Iona came into this game on a four game win streak
-St. John’s doesn’t hit one three
-Our second best player was out

And we still beat Iona by double figures.

That's a bit of a polly approach.  The more measured approach would be to acknowledge that, and also remember that:

- we were outrebounded by 7

- our bench sucks hard ass. Literally no one of worth.

- Ponds' outside shooting is somehow degrading under 2 NBA all time great outside shooters

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »

That's a bit of a polly approach.  The more measured approach would be to acknowledge that, and also remember that:

- Ponds' outside shooting is somehow degrading under 2 NBA all time great outside shooters

The bench is shallow which is why any injuries are killers. Not having Lovett is forcing the staff to play the bench guys more than they would like. That being said, Amar is the only one that gets run that is completely worthless. Trimble gives the team solid minutes because he's solid on the defensive end and knows his role on offense. He doesn't take stupid shots or have unforced turnovers. Yakwe also gives the team solid minutes on the bench. Neither of those 2 guys are great players by any stretch but they are solid bench players

MCNPA

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »

Ponds just a sophomore slump...  fwiw, I'm hoping it gets us another with SJU.  Would be amazing and at this rate, I'd hope he wouldn't jump.    Our bench is thin, they don't suck except for maybe AliB.  A narrow rebounding margin means nada.  We already know we don't have a very tall nor deep frontcourt.  That will all change next year. 

Pete88

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2017, 06:53:53 PM »

Ponds just a sophomore slump...  fwiw, I'm hoping it gets us another with SJU.  Would be amazing and at this rate, I'd hope he wouldn't jump.    Our bench is thin, they don't suck except for maybe AliB.  A narrow rebounding margin means nada.  We already know we don't have a very tall nor deep frontcourt.  That will all change next year. 

Where's Ponds going to jump to?

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »
Ponds is playing too nonchalant and with too much French pastry. Make the simple play once in awhile and stop hanging out with Melo.

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2017, 07:00:08 PM »
Ponds is playing too nonchalant and with too much French pastry. Make the simple play once in awhile and stop hanging out with Melo.

Noticed that too. He dribbles up the court like he's playing in the park with his nephews

Pete88

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2017, 07:02:47 PM »

Noticed that too. He dribbles up the court like he's playing in the park with his nephews

In fairness, his nephews are most likely better than the IONA players though

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »

In fairness, his nephews are most likely better than the IONA players though

Ya you're right. St Johns dominated them today

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2017, 07:22:44 PM »
Justin Simon certainly is athletic, but makes too many bone head plays. Gonna hurt in big east. Owens was a savage today, love what I saw from him., Clark too. If Trimble is getting minutes in Big east play. Not a good sign.

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2017, 07:34:57 PM »
Ahmed playing like a savage on the glass.

If only his first priority was to make the shots he takes around the basket he would lose about half his offensive rebounding opportunities.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
Negatives - yet another first half where we play down the comp; getting out-rebounded by a team that has no business being us on the glass; not hitting a 3 (didn't think I'd see that happen); Ponds continues to struggle from the outside, which at this point I'm chalking to either his gaining strength in the offseason such that it is taking some time for his body to figure things out or some type of hand injury.  Hoping that turns.

Positives - yet another second half where we come out early against a team that has no business being close to us and put the game out of sight (this one was over after the 19-4 run); winning by double digits without hitting a 3, with Ponds having a horrific game from the outside, and without Lovett.

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 08:43:49 PM »
Negatives - yet another first half where we play down the comp; getting out-rebounded by a team that has no business being us on the glass; not hitting a 3 (didn't think I'd see that happen); Ponds continues to struggle from the outside, which at this point I'm chalking to either his gaining strength in the offseason such that it is taking some time for his body to figure things out or some type of hand injury.  Hoping that turns.

Positives - yet another second half where we come out early against a team that has no business being close to us and put the game out of sight (this one was over after the 19-4 run); winning by double digits without hitting a 3, with Ponds having a horrific game from the outside, and without Lovett.
Or maybe his goldfish died. Maybe he is just in a shooting slump. Might also help if he didn't take some of them from Steph Curry range. Try being less of a showman and be a more productive player you're not Magic Johnson.

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »

If only his first priority was to make the shots he takes around the basket he would lose about half his offensive rebounding opportunities.

He went out and got some rebounds tonight as tenaciously as I've seen from anyone in many years. What we need is Clark, Simon, and Owens to do the same and we become very tough to beat.

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
Justin Simon certainly is athletic, but makes too many bone head plays. Gonna hurt in big east. Owens was a savage today, love what I saw from him., Clark too. If Trimble is getting minutes in Big east play. Not a good sign.

He has one turnover in the last two games, I'll take his bonehead plays.

MCNPA

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:56 PM »

He went out and got some rebounds tonight as tenaciously as I've seen from anyone in many years. What we need is Clark, Simon, and Owens to do the same and we become very tough to beat.

Dont include Owens... he was a beast tonight overall.

MCNPA

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 08:51:23 PM »

He has one turnover in the last two games, I'll take his bonehead plays.

Owens has been awesome overall.  A little more touch off the glass and refinement.  He still has some years here and is a big catalyst. 

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2017, 08:53:41 PM »

My point was that Bashir takes inside shots with the intention to get fouled. No exaggeration. Not once does he go straight up to finish and because of that his fg% is garbage.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2017, 08:56:07 PM »

He went out and got some rebounds tonight as tenaciously as I've seen from anyone in many years.

Five rebounds in one remarkable six second span under the basket in the second half. 29 rebounds his past three games. People see what they want to see. It's almost sad.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:02:14 PM by RedStormNC »