Depaul prediction thread

• 226 replies
Re: Depaul prediction thread
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2018, 09:38:42 AM »
I do not think listing Hatten as the third best guard that we've had in my 25 years as
a fan is sh*tting on him.

You're denigrating his accomplishments to make Ponds look better by comparison.

What would providing the wrong stats for ponds in comparison to Hatten be considered as?

If I got the stats wrong I'd call it a mistake. If you think I quoted stats incorrectly on purpose then you're stupider than I take you for and I didn't give you much credit to begin with.

Good just admit you made the mistake next time. Because the mistake you made discredits your “better stats across the board” argument.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2018, 09:39:36 AM »
Andre Staley, Tristan smith, and sharif Fordham Ball handlers? Wooooow!

This is the typical St. John's fan reaction. Sharif Fordham was as an exceptional glue guy. Stanley to a lesser degree. Smith was just a pure PG with a decent shot that can give backup minutes. You can win with guys like that if you have a Ponds or Hatten. Not everyone has to be a star or a super athlete.

We are surviving now by having Simon taking the load of Ponds just enough to allow ponds to conserve his energy to win the second half. Ponds would really benefit from any one of those
Guys.

Our new PG  recruiting strategy should be to send WASJU out to find the one guy he hates most and sign him to be our backup. Your crazy if you think Stanley and Fordham wouldn't have take all of Trimble's minutes.
Fordham played defense . Andre Staley is freshman Brian Trimble. Tristan smith should have played division 3 football

Took 3902 posts but we agree
See Marillac. You have gone so far off the reservation I am agreeing with Tony.

I'm just happy to see Tony posting again, I was worried he was constipated.
Traveling. At airport toilet as we speak.

« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »
I do not think listing Hatten as the third best guard that we've had in my 25 years as

What would providing the wrong stats for ponds in comparison to Hatten be considered as?

Here are the stats I go by. And I don't care about the years because basketball has changed and good players don't stick around past Soph year anymore.

Hatten-41-25 / 16-16 BE
1 NCAA appearance and 1 NIT championship

Hardy-38-28 / 18-18 BE
1 NCAA appearance
1 NIT appearance

Harrison 1st two years-30-35 / 14-22 BE
1 NIT appearance

Ponds-28-32 / 10-21

I have Ponds ranked below Hatten and above Hardy and Harrison as a player.
As far as his legacy goes, so far he is more in step with Harrison at this point and well below Hatten and Hardy. If he stays another year  he could possibly overtake Hatten in my opinion but if he leaves after this year and only can manage an NIT or worse then years from now when you think back on him, his legacy will be lacking compared to other similar players.

TONYD3

« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
I love ponds. But he needs to win games. If he leaves after this year and we don’t even make the NIT he is harkless. Hardy>>> ponds. That can change. It hasn’t at 3-11. Plenty of season left. Hopefully atleast another year .

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2018, 09:58:31 AM »
I love ponds. But he needs to win games. If he leaves after this year and we don’t even make the NIT he is harkless. Hardy>>> ponds. That can change. It hasn’t at 3-11. Plenty of season left. Hopefully atleast another year .

Two solid posts in a row. Change your diet for Lent or something?

« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2018, 09:59:33 AM »

Here are the stats I go by. And I don't care about the years because basketball has changed and good players don't stick around past Soph year anymore.

Hatten-41-25 / 16-16 BE

Hardy-38-28 / 18-18 BE
1 NCAA appearance
1 NIT appearance

1 NIT appearance

Ponds-28-32 / 10-21

As far as his legacy goes, so far he is more in step with Harrison at this point and well below Hatten and Hardy. If he stays another year  he could possibly overtake Hatten in my opinion but if he leaves after this year and only can manage an NIT or worse then years from now when you think back on him, his legacy will be lacking compared to other similar players.

That’s fair dude and like you said it’s how you see it. This discussion was simply as players. I brought up the eye test and Foad dismissed it. So HE brought up their stats for comparison. Problem was the stats were wrong. Simple my mistake would have worked. Instead he doubled down and said where he got the stats from. Problem is that’s where I got the stats from.

Do you put pippen over Lebron?

« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »

Hatten-41-25 / 16-16 BE

Hardy-38-28 / 18-18 BE
1 NCAA appearance
1 NIT appearance

1 NIT appearance

Ponds-28-32 / 10-21

That’s fair dude and like you said it’s how you see it. This discussion was simply as players. I brought up the eye test and Foad dismissed it. So HE brought up their stats for comparison. Problem was the stats were wrong. Simple my mistake would have worked. Instead he doubled down and said where he got the stats from. Problem is that’s where I got the stats from.

Do you put pippen over Lebron?

No or Robert Horry over Jordan.
You know the deal. Best player comparison.

« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
Kobe over Lebron?

Close
Winning at that level you can use your judgement. I am sure some have Kobe over him. I have Lebron.
If Peyton Manning had won another Super Bowl or two he would have had a case against Brady even if Brady had won more.
Best QB I ever saw was Marino but he isn't even mention as GOAT.
Right now Ponds as best player on his team last two years has not won at all. Obviously not all his fault but again Hatten had comparable if not worse talent.

TONYD3

« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
Hatten’s talent <<< this team.
Mike Jarvis >>> Chris Mullin . I thought Jarvis was a very good game coach.
Mullin lately has been much improved.

« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
Kobe over Lebron?

Close
Winning at that level you can use your judgement. I am sure some have Kobe over him. I have Lebron.
If Peyton Manning had won another Super Bowl or two he would have had a case against Brady even if Brady had won more.
Right now Ponds as best player on his team last two years has not won at all. Obviously not all his fault but again Hatten had comparable if not worse talent.
Am I wrong in remembering you saying Lovett was best player on team last year?

« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2018, 10:45:18 AM »
Kobe over Lebron?

Close

Was close. Hardy was not best player his Junior year though he probably should have been.
You are looking for loopholes now. Better than posting outrageous stuff like your tag team partner Marillac I guess.

« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2018, 10:48:44 AM »
Kobe over Lebron?

Close

Was close. Hardy was not best player his Junior year though he probably should have been.
You are looking for loopholes now. Better than posting outrageous stuff like your tag team partner Marillac I guess.

Don’t make me go look it up now 😉

TONYD3

« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »
Kobe over Lebron?

Close

Marillacnis right. We need a PG. we need another guaed that plays defense. Sharif Fordham not a ball handler would be great here. Malik boothe (not really a big east player ) would be useful on this team.
Need to get yakwe some minutes. Staff needs to figure out how he can play and not kill us. No post ups. We need 10 minutes and 5 fouls of competency.

« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »
I have no problem with someone choosing Hatten, but I 100% believe Ponds beats that mediocre 18-12 Wisconsin team if he had Hatten's guys.

We outrebounded Wisconsin on both sides of the ball and 30-25 overall (we were ranked #10 in the entire country in offensive rebounding). Our starting front court scored 38 pts on 10-18 shooting 14-16 from the line (wow), 4-10 from three, and four assists.

You're silly. Stanley, Glover and King fouled out of the Wisconsin game. Stanley scored 0 points in 20 minutes. Fordham scored 0 points in 20 minutes. Cuffe scored 2 points in 15 minutes. Wisconsin shot 60 percent from three and made 30 of 40 FTs (wow).

Ponds has to find ways to win games with 20-rebound deficits like last night.

Ponds has found a way to lose 10 straight games on his way to a lifetime 28-32 record.

Hatten was bad. 12-33 from the field, only 1-3 from the line, 3-13 from three, and only 1 assist.

Hatten was magic. He carried SJ on his back for two years to two post seasons including a NIT championship. That you feel the need to shit on him is sad.

Glover and King were two of the top four offensive  rebounders I've seen in my time (with Postell and Grant) and Fordham wasn't far behind.

Eric King wasn't the top anything anyone has ever seen do anything ever.

That team had three other ball handlers in Andre Stanley, Sharif Fordham, and Tristan Smith to take pressure off Hatten. I think Tristan Smith, even though he wasn't that good, would be 20 minutes per game on this team.

Stanley was a walk on. Fordham was a great on the ball defender and not much else. Smith - who I thought Jarvis ill used - averaged two points in 20 minute a game in the NEC at St Francis.  Justin Simon who you shit on is averaging a bit off a triple double in the best basketball conference in the country.

You really need to lie down, I think you're unwell.

We would never lose 10 games in a row with a team that played defense and hit the boards as consistent as that team did.

1. Barkley
2. Ponds
3. Hatten

Not to be confused with Marillac's sexiest basketball player list:
1. Ponds
2. Taurasi

« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »
Kobe over Lebron?

Close

Lovett was good. Ponds was a freshman. At beginning of year Lovett was better player.  By end was Ponds. If Lovett played this year Ponds would probably not gone off on this hot streak but we also would not have lost 11 games in a row and would probably have 2 or 3 more wins and would be a better team.

« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
Kobe over Lebron?

Close

Lovett was good. Ponds was a freshman. At beginning of year Lovett was better player.  By end was Ponds. If Lovett played this year Ponds would probably not gone off on this hot streak but we also would not have lost 11 games in a row and would probably have 2 or 3 more wins and would be a better team.

AGREE. would say more than 2-3 wins

« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »
Kobe over Lebron?

Close

AGREE. would say more than 2-3 wins

Hard to say because we won last 4 with Ponds going nuts. Does he go nuts with Lovett there? Going nuts now out of necessity. I think it took him awhile to get comfortable doing that. If Ponds does not play the way he has would we have beaten Duke or Nova? I don't know but I def think we would have won some of the 11 we lost with Lovett.

Foad

« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »

Hatten-41-25 / 16-16 BE

Hardy-38-28 / 18-18 BE
1 NCAA appearance
1 NIT appearance

1 NIT appearance

Ponds-28-32 / 10-21

I didn't dismiss the eye test, I said it was pointless, because I don't care about your personal preferences and I don't know how good your eyesight is. And having gone back and looked what I did, what I did was combine Ponds stats from last year and this. Which confusion you characterized as lying, for which you think you deserve an apology.  Eye disagree.

Foad

« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »

This is the typical St. John's fan reaction. Sharif Fordham was as an exceptional glue guy. Stanley to a lesser degree. Smith was just a pure PG with a decent shot that can give backup minutes. You can win with guys like that if you have a Ponds or Hatten. Not everyone has to be a star or a super athlete.

We are surviving now by having Simon taking the load of Ponds just enough to allow ponds to conserve his energy to win the second half. Ponds would really benefit from any one of those
Guys.

Our new PG  recruiting strategy should be to send WASJU out to find the one guy he hates most and sign him to be our backup. Your crazy if you think Stanley and Fordham wouldn't have take all of Trimble's minutes.
Fordham played defense . Andre Staley is freshman Brian Trimble. Tristan smith should have played division 3 football

Took 3902 posts but we agree
See Marillac. You have gone so far off the reservation I am agreeing with Tony.

I'm just happy to see Tony posting again, I was worried he was constipated.
Traveling. At airport toilet as we speak.

Don't drink the water.

Marillac

« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »
Kobe over Lebron?

Close

No. WASJU repeatedly posted how Lovett was better than Ponds. He also said he didn't like the way the outside shots of Mullin, Harrison, and Ponds look!

He put Ponds behind Harrison and Hardy as well and scoffed a the notion of Ponds being as good as Hatten. Now he has Ponds ahead of two and wants to act like its always been that way.

His stance on how good of a shooter Ponds is has also undergone some comical changes. He went from not liking the way the shot looks (couldn't knock him as a bad shooter yet after 38% as a freshman), to he flat out can't shoot after a 17% start, to he can only shoot off the bounce once Ponds bringing his %s up.

At the same time he blasts me for saying Simon is playing out of position while giving the kid the respect that he could play in the NBA in a different role. Simon dribbles the ball to his chin. If you asked him personally he'd say he needs to work on his handle.