Depaul prediction thread

• 226 replies

goredmen

Re: Depaul prediction thread
« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
Trimble was #1 in the country in turnover rate. That's crazy.

How is that crazy? He never hold the ball for more than 2 seconds. He either shoots it or passes it back to the teammate 4 feet away from him as soon as he gets it. Which is what he should do honestly. He understands his role

« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2018, 04:58:39 PM »
Andre Staley, Tristan smith, and sharif Fordham Ball handlers? Wooooow!

This is the typical St. John's fan reaction. Sharif Fordham was as an exceptional glue guy. Stanley to a lesser degree. Smith was just a pure PG with a decent shot that can give backup minutes. You can win with guys like that if you have a Ponds or Hatten. Not everyone has to be a star or a super athlete.

We are surviving now by having Simon taking the load of Ponds just enough to allow ponds to conserve his energy to win the second half. Ponds would really benefit from any one of those
Guys.

Our new PG  recruiting strategy should be to send WASJU out to find the one guy he hates most and sign him to be our backup. Your crazy if you think Stanley and Fordham wouldn't have take all of Trimble's minutes.
Fordham played defense . Andre Staley is freshman Brian Trimble. Tristan smith should have played division 3 football

Trimble just shoots jumpers and Andre Stanley only tried to get in the lane. They are nothing alike.  Stanley would help this current team more....better defender and better ball handler. I'd be inclined to take Trimble over him long term.

+1

Trimble is Ricky Torres. Stanley was a street baller.

Trimble is way better than Ricky Torres already.

Is he really? I think he's a little better than. Overweight shooting guards who can't get into the lane, and are overmatched defensively.

I see the comparison but it's not an immediate 10 - 0  run for the opponent as it was with Torres.

Elway best quarterback ever.

Foad

« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2018, 04:58:55 PM »
Johnnies coming in at #12 in the power rankings on The Ringer.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/16/17019206/college-basketball-power-rankings-michigan-state-texas-tech

" There isn’t a thing on this earth that I want more than to see the Johnnies run the table from here on out, make the NCAA tournament as a no. 13 seed, and then get absolutely stomped by a team like Tennessee or West Virginia in the first round because Chris Mullin was so busy popping champagne bottles that he forgot to prep for the game."

Hoping that a reformed alcoholic like Chris Mullin relapses and succumbs to a life threatening disease seems cruel to me. There isn't a thing on earth that I want to see more than this nice person's kids get cancer.

Oh I'm sorry, was that harsh? Oh well, Hashtag mindless cynicism.

Marillac

« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2018, 05:31:18 PM »

How is that crazy? He never hold the ball for more than 2 seconds. He either shoots it or passes it back to the teammate 4 feet away from him as soon as he gets it. Which is what he should do honestly. He understands his role

He a freshman. Freshmen make mistakes...a lot of them. He does his share of handling in the open court and passing in the half court too. He may not be Ponds but he's not Yakwe either. Think of how many minutes he's played in close games against good teams. I'm impressed.

goredmen

« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »

https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/16/17019206/college-basketball-power-rankings-michigan-state-texas-tech

" There isn’t a thing on this earth that I want more than to see the Johnnies run the table from here on out, make the NCAA tournament as a no. 13 seed, and then get absolutely stomped by a team like Tennessee or West Virginia in the first round because Chris Mullin was so busy popping champagne bottles that he forgot to prep for the game."

Hoping that a reformed alcoholic like Chris Mullin relapses and succumbs to a life threatening disease seems cruel to me. There isn't a thing on earth that I want to see more than this nice person's kids get cancer.

The main issue I have with this is that if we run the table including the BET and go into Selection Sunday on a 12 game winning streak we sure as shit aren't going to be a 13 seed.

paultzman

« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2018, 05:34:43 PM »

He a freshman. Freshmen make mistakes...a lot of them. He does his share of handling in the open court and passing in the half court too. He may not be Ponds but he's not Yakwe either. Think of how many minutes he's played in close games against good teams. I'm impressed.

And has made some intelligent, key plays like his pass to Owens for a bucket v Duke. Very poised player.

Marillac

« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »

He's and idiot if he thinks we'd be a 13 seed if we won the next eight games and finished 22-13. That is a 6-8 seed.

« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »

He's and idiot if he thinks we'd be a 13 seed if we won the next eight games and finished 22-13. That is a 6-8 seed.

Either way I'll take some positive press with a serving of negativity included.

TONYD3

« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2018, 08:35:27 PM »
I like Trimble . Don’t like the way he is being used. Think more of his minutes should go to yakwe. Wojo is going to attack Trimble. In my opinion Trimble and yakwe are equally useless. Yakwe can play better defense.

Foad

« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
I like Trimble . Don’t like the way he is being used. Think more of his minutes should go to yakwe. Wojo is going to attack Trimble. In my opinion Trimble and yakwe are equally useless. Yakwe can play better defense.

You "like Trimble," who's "useless," Fair enough. Considering that he's useless and that he's being used as a sixth man who plays 20 minutes because there's no one else to play, other than not playing him at all how would you use him, taking into account that you like him.

Poison

« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2018, 11:58:10 PM »
Trimble has been fine for a freshman getting so many minutes. Next year the rubber meets road for him relative to increased competition. Heard staff has been real clear with him re need to pay the price and lose weight. If he does, I suspect his outside shooting potential will buy him decent time. If not ....

It’s a huge summer for him. The kid is more than a little out of shape. He has a gut. He can’t guard anyone without fouling. He has hit threes in bunches and he’s not afraid to mix it up for a rebound.

TONYD3

« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2018, 12:45:38 AM »

You "like Trimble," who's "useless," Fair enough. Considering that he's useless and that he's being used as a sixth man who plays 20 minutes because there's no one else to play, other than not playing him at all how would you use him, taking into account that you like him.
Foady, I like him. I liked Omari Laurence also. Hated the German, Italian, Frenchman, and all the white guys since Fred lyson. I don’t think he is good now. I think he will be good in a few years. This is a useful player. Phil green was not good as a freshman. But I didn’t hate him. He was good as a junior and very good as a senior.
I sat in the student section (for some weird reason) against Marquette. Wojo went right at him . Trimble isn’t quick enough to guard their guards. Not big enough to guard their forwards. He should absolutely not be the 6th man this game.

TONYD3

« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2018, 12:47:58 AM »
Trimble has been fine for a freshman getting so many minutes. Next year the rubber meets road for him relative to increased competition. Heard staff has been real clear with him re need to pay the price and lose weight. If he does, I suspect his outside shooting potential will buy him decent time. If not ....

It’s a huge summer for him. The kid is more than a little out of shape. He has a gut. He can’t guard anyone without fouling. He has hit threes in bunches and he’s not afraid to mix it up for a rebound.
Agree. But he has to be replaced. Not a fan of Ellison. We could have used him this year.

Poison

« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2018, 01:30:49 AM »

Agree. But he has to be replaced. Not a fan of Ellison. We could have used him this year.

He doesn’t have to be replaced. That’s what this staffis doing wrong. He needs to take his health seriously. Get to the gym, stop eating garbage and work hard on every aspect his game. Freudenberg leaving was awful for the program and complete failure for the staff. Not because he was overwhelmed and outclassed at this level, but because they couldn’t keep him. That’s the trend that needs to end.

« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2018, 02:05:07 AM »
He was fine dealing with their third guard/swing man, none of whom create much and play off others for open shots.  The problem is that Marquette was running him into switches and, yes, him on Howard or Rousey is a problem.  But going with the short rotation has led to us playing the best ball minus Lovett, so why not keep a good thing going?  If Yawke wants to earn time, he has plenty of opportunities in practice to show he should be out there.

Foady, I like him. I liked Omari Laurence also. Hated the German, Italian, Frenchman, and all the white guys since Fred lyson. I don’t think he is good now. I think he will be good in a few years. This is a useful player. Phil green was not good as a freshman. But I didn’t hate him. He was good as a junior and very good as a senior.
I sat in the student section (for some weird reason) against Marquette. Wojo went right at him . Trimble isn’t quick enough to guard their guards. Not big enough to guard their forwards. He should absolutely not be the 6th man this game.

« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2018, 02:06:51 AM »
Agreed.  Continuity is key.  Hard to keep kids happy these days when other players are coming in that will steal burn - no doubt that is what happened with Ellison.  Most kids and their "advisors" aren't patient.  But need to do a better job at limiting roster turnover, some of which is inevitable.

He doesn’t have to be replaced. That’s what this staffis doing wrong. He needs to take his health seriously. Get to the gym, stop eating garbage and work hard on every aspect his game. Freudenberg leaving was awful for the program and complete failure for the staff. Not because he was overwhelmed and outclassed at this level, but because they couldn’t keep him. That’s the trend that needs to end.

TONYD3

« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2018, 04:01:08 AM »

Mis spoke. Meant to say if he leaves he need to be replaced. Hoping that he puts the work in.

Johnny23

« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2018, 08:26:10 AM »
I can finally post again. First post after not being able to for the last two weeks.

Mullin and staff better not get complacent now. They still need an impact big for next year like a Brooks. The staff also needs to be shaken up before next year without question. With this winning streak they have bought themselves a little recruiting capital. Need to cash it in.

cjfish

« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »
I could not post for awhile either, have no idea why.  Amazing how the cries for Mullin's head have disappeared.   Seems like he went from goat to genius rather quickly. ;D

Johnny23

« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »
I could not post for awhile either, have no idea why.  Amazing how the cries for Mullin's head have disappeared.   Seems like he went from goat to genius rather quickly. ;D

Indeed. Funny how that works.  :)