2 year plan...

• 165 replies
Re: 2 year plan...
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »
Definitely need another ball handler. Simon is really good passer but his handle is loose and he’s not a good free throw shooter. Need a guy to help close out games and break down defenses to set up our shooters, Ponds and Clark.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »
Definitely need another ball handler. Simon is really good passer but his handle is loose and he’s not a good free throw shooter. Need a guy to help close out games and break down defenses to set up our shooters, Ponds and Clark.

If he plays off the ball it hurts his draft status. And I like him with the ball because harder to deny him because will have to do it full court. Simon throws some bad passes and is not a good foul shooter but his handle is fine. And at end of games Ponds should have ball anyway.

« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2018, 10:43:09 AM »
Maybe, just maybe the 2 year plan got an early start today...

Again the plan was to try to end this season with some momentum and carry that into next year where they believe the roster and potential staff change will yield much better results.  And then really strike some top talent in 2019 and make another jump in 2019-20 to where they think they can compete over an 18 game schedule with Nova.  I'll admit I was not 100% convinced it would happen but no question this past week has given me and others confidence that not only is this plan not far fetched but in fact completely realistic.

Let's get this straight, you think beating Duke and Nova was part of your arbitrary two year plan? If it was that easy they would have planned to win the other 11 conference games too.

Perhaps they are closer to competing than you gave them credit for? Perhaps they are better off playing 6-7 guys all year as teams start to go with shorter rotations? Maybe they realized the 8-10 pts they were losing by playing AA was less than the number of points they were losing by? And maybe they just finally learned how to survive without Lovett?

This was never a two year plan. This was about finding a way to keep the game close so Ponds could have a chance to win it. They are thinking about the next game, not next year.

What are you talking g about???

Your two year plan is one of the most assanine things ever posted in this forum. The players and the staff want to win now. The staff wants to get the best players possible. Two year plans are for brand new hires.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Fordham just reporting back what someone close to the program told him was the new outlook as of January 23rd? Also, what's an assanine?
*asinine. Sorry I was posting one handed on lowest brightness setting on phone while laying next to my son until he was safely asleep.

I don't care where Fordham purports to get his info. The only staffs with two year plans are brand new hires. When you have Shamorie Ponds you try to win right away. We would be right where we should be if Lovett didn't get hurt and/or they had a capable 3* PG.

2 year plan was because at 10-13 this year became a throwaway and next year he needed to show progress. Basically just giving Mullin an out for this year because no matter what he wasn't getting fired. That was just common sense.

As far as point guard that is not one of our problems. I like Ponds and Simon sharing point guard duties. And Ponds needs to show he can really play the point to improve his draft status. Hopefully that is the reason he decides to stay another year. If he can continue to his some outside shots and show he can play point at the next level (I think he can) then he can sneak into back end of draft next year.

What this team needs is another guy who can knock down shots, someone that can get us an easy basket down low and really just 3 more BE quality players.

Correct. Seemed pretty straight forward to me but apparently confusing for some.

Also agree on this. One more guy that can get his own shot is the key. 

« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »

Again the plan was to try to end this season with some momentum and carry that into next year where they believe the roster and potential staff change will yield much better results.  And then really strike some top talent in 2019 and make another jump in 2019-20 to where they think they can compete over an 18 game schedule with Nova.  I'll admit I was not 100% convinced it would happen but no question this past week has given me and others confidence that not only is this plan not far fetched but in fact completely realistic.

Let's get this straight, you think beating Duke and Nova was part of your arbitrary two year plan? If it was that easy they would have planned to win the other 11 conference games too.

Perhaps they are closer to competing than you gave them credit for? Perhaps they are better off playing 6-7 guys all year as teams start to go with shorter rotations? Maybe they realized the 8-10 pts they were losing by playing AA was less than the number of points they were losing by? And maybe they just finally learned how to survive without Lovett?

This was never a two year plan. This was about finding a way to keep the game close so Ponds could have a chance to win it. They are thinking about the next game, not next year.

Your two year plan is one of the most assanine things ever posted in this forum. The players and the staff want to win now. The staff wants to get the best players possible. Two year plans are for brand new hires.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Fordham just reporting back what someone close to the program told him was the new outlook as of January 23rd? Also, what's an assanine?
*asinine. Sorry I was posting one handed on lowest brightness setting on phone while laying next to my son until he was safely asleep.

I don't care where Fordham purports to get his info. The only staffs with two year plans are brand new hires. When you have Shamorie Ponds you try to win right away. We would be right where we should be if Lovett didn't get hurt and/or they had a capable 3* PG.

2 year plan was because at 10-13 this year became a throwaway and next year he needed to show progress. Basically just giving Mullin an out for this year because no matter what he wasn't getting fired. That was just common sense.

As far as point guard that is not one of our problems. I like Ponds and Simon sharing point guard duties. And Ponds needs to show he can really play the point to improve his draft status. Hopefully that is the reason he decides to stay another year. If he can continue to his some outside shots and show he can play point at the next level (I think he can) then he can sneak into back end of draft next year.

What this team needs is another guy who can knock down shots, someone that can get us an easy basket down low and really just 3 more BE quality players.

Correct. Seemed pretty straight forward to me but apparently confusing for some.

Also agree on this. One more guy that can get his own shot is the key. 

Just to be clear, because I can't modify I meant Ponds could sneak into back end of FIRST round if he shows he can play the point.

« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »

If he plays off the ball it hurts his draft status. And I like him with the ball because harder to deny him because will have to do it full court. Simon throws some bad passes and is not a good foul shooter but his handle is fine. And at end of games Ponds should have ball anyway.

Ponds is great at  point and will primarily play there. But you see at end of games teams are doing everything they can to keep ball out of his hands. Also simons majority of his assists come from him seeing over the top and using his height and vision to make passes. Not often does he get into lane and kick out to shooters. Need a guy to do that other than ponds And that is no slight to Simon. Hopefully Dixon can be that guy.

« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »

Ponds is great at  point and will primarily play there. But you see at end of games teams are doing everything they can to keep ball out of his hands. Also simons majority of his assists come from him seeing over the top and using his height and vision to make passes. Not often does he get into lane and kick out to shooters. Need a guy to do that other than ponds And that is no slight to Simon. Hopefully Dixon can be that guy.

Again splitting hairs here but don't think Clark needs more looks than he gets and only other guy I trust shooting threes does so better off the bounce. If Dixon can knock down threes at a decent % that helps us more than if he can play some point.

BTW I think your boy will leave if he plays close to this over last 5-7 games or whatever. I think that would cost him money as if he plays next year on a good team, primarily plays the point and cleans up his FG% I think he goes at back-end of 1st round. I don't think he has enough time to get himself into 1st round this year.

« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2018, 11:36:01 AM »

Again splitting hairs here but don't think Clark needs more looks than he gets and only other guy I trust shooting threes does so better off the bounce. If Dixon can knock down threes at a decent % that helps us more than if he can play some point.

BTW I think your boy will leave if he plays close to this over last 5-7 games or whatever. I think that would cost him money as if he plays next year on a good team, primarily plays the point and cleans up his FG% I think he goes at back-end of 1st round. I don't think he has enough time to get himself into 1st round this year.

Don’t you think maybe Ponds shoots better off the bounce because he doesn’t get good looks off of drive and kicks? Couldn’t it be possible your wrong about something?

redslope

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »

Simon has met all expectations this year.  At Arizona as a frosh he played minimal time, so this is his first year a a full time player.  While I shudder when he goes to FT line, his %age has gone from 43% to 63% in the same amount of FT/minute played.  He has improved in that area and would expect more improvement over the next 2 years.  After Ponds he has second most FT's on team.  He has shown ability to double double and would expect this to continue.  Also, this year will show him and the coaches his deficits regarding outside shooting/3 point shooting.  To get to the next level, these will have to improve.  All in all, I love the energy he brings to the game and his leadership.  PS-he leads team in rebounding and assists--interesting com

« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »
Redslope your quote got messed up but I got it. I don’t want anyone to think I don’t like simon. In fact I love his game. It’s the epitome of team first. I think he is the PERFECT point forward. I just don’t want him being a primary ball handler the last five minutes of close games.

« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »

Don’t you think maybe Ponds shoots better off the bounce because he doesn’t get good looks off of drive and kicks? Couldn’t it be possible your wrong about something?

Takes more talent to shoot off the dribble but there are guys who for whatever reason shoot better. Ponds stand still shot is still too herky jerky. He seems to square himself better off the bounce. Your comparison Van Excel also shot better off the bounce. So did Mobley. Maybe a lefty thing not sure. Though this was also true of Jamal Crawford.

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »

Takes more talent to shoot off the dribble but there are guys who for whatever reason shoot better. Ponds stand still shot is still too herky jerky. He seems to square himself better off the bounce. Your comparison Van Excel also shot better off the bounce. So did Mobley. Maybe a lefty thing not sure. Though this was also true of Jamal Crawford.

Completely fair and possible that he isn’t better off the dribble. I bet you he spent a shit ton of time shooting by himself growing up and that would explain why he’s so good off the dribble. I just think he’s a good shooter both off the catch and the dribble.

« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
Meant possible he is better off the dribble.

« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »

Could be simply that he has too much time to think when shooting a jumper as opposed to off the dribble he is in rhythm and is more natural.

I think would def benefit him to stay another year but have a feeling he won't. Goes w/o saying it would benefit us.

« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »

Iverson, Marbury, Kenny Anderson from what I have heard Pearl Monroe. I guess it applies for guys with sick handles.

« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »

Could be simply that he has too much time to think when shooting a jumper as opposed to off the dribble he is in rhythm and is more natural.

I think would def benefit him to stay another year but have a feeling he won't. Goes w/o saying it would benefit us.

I fear the same. Would deff improve his stock with another year but I also don’t think there’s 30 better prospects than him.

Marillac

« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2018, 12:58:11 PM »

So let's make a plan for right after we lose the best player we've had in 20 years? It's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded and Fordham was pulling it out of his arse. We are two decent backups away. The staff knows this. If Ponds is here for his senior year it will be a miracle.

You can't plan two years out anymore. Look at what's happening with Brooks now. Sid Wilson was lost in a week. Mussini and Freudenberg. Ellison and Sima. Freaking Marcus Lovett! All you can do is balance the roster and keep recruiting. I find this two year plan to be ridiculous. Good luck replacing Ponds in two years.

Marillac

« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2018, 02:19:54 PM »

Iverson, Marbury, Kenny Anderson from what I have heard Pearl Monroe. I guess it applies for guys with sick handles.

You've officially lost it. Ponds gets one set shot every 2-3 games. He's a great shooter. He could bet hitting 50% with Clark's attempts. Markus Howard has lost nearly 10% from his shooting % last year because his degree of difficulty has gone up. I said that would happen with him.

Ponds needs a ball handler to take the pressure off him and set him up for a few easy looks. Even Howard has Rousey.

As for Simon, he is very raw. He is a great passer, but he just can't handle like a second dribbling option should be able to.  His athletic ability bails him out of a lot of ugly situations. He'd be better served with playing SF and some PF for 28-30 mpg but that is not an option this year.

« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2018, 02:35:02 PM »

You've officially lost it. Ponds gets one set shot every 2-3 games. He's a great shooter. He could bet hitting 50% with Clark's attempts. Markus Howard has lost nearly 10% from his shooting % last year because his degree of difficulty has gone up. I said that would happen with him.

Ponds needs a ball handler to take the pressure off him and set him up for a few easy looks. Even Howard has Rousey.

As for Simon, he is very raw. He is a great passer, but he just can't handle like a second dribbling option should be able to.  His athletic ability bails him out of a lot of ugly situations. He'd be better served with playing SF and some PF for 28-30 mpg but that is not an option this year.

Ponds is 6-1. He should be the point guard with Simon splitting it with him. Ponds is not a good stand still shooter. Shoots way better off the dribble. You are watching different guy and team.
What would take pressure off of Ponds is if they had another dependable scorer. Not a point guard.

« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »

Ponds is 6-1. He should be the point guard with Simon splitting it with him. Ponds is not a good stand still shooter. Shoots way better off the dribble. You are watching different guy and team.
What would take pressure off of Ponds is if they had another dependable scorer. Not a point guard.

Lol a week ago you didn’t think Ponds was a good shooter! Now he he’s a good shooter just not off the catch. Try believeing for a second that you don’t know everything!

« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »

Lol a week ago you didn’t think Ponds was a good shooter! Now he he’s a good shooter just not off the catch. Try believeing for a second that you don’t know everything!

Pull all of my Ponds posts. I qualified everything by saying off the dribble his shot is fine. Generally if you are shooting off the dribble it is inside the three point line. He is not a good three point shooter because he is not a very good outside shooter. In the pros he would have to shoot all of his shots from the range he struggles with now. The last week he has been hitting some threes simply because he is a volume / streaky shooter and he is now making some. Was he better than 19%. I think so he has a nice touch but I don't think he will ever be a good outside shooter especially at next level.

AGAIN I like Ponds. Ponds is very good. I like watching Ponds play. As far as very good players just under the elite guys that I enjoyed watching he falls right behind Hatten for me which is huge praise from me. I am just not an insane person that is going to claim he is the next Curry. I can also say someone has a flaw w/o it being some kind of shot at him. He is also not tall. Now I am waiting for Marillac to tell me that he actually measured him and he is really 6-5.  You and Marillac need to get a grip or see about a possible threesome with him. You guys like Ponds way more than I have ever liked any player. And I once got into a fist fight with my friend in HS over who would be a better pro Mark Jackson or Pearl.