Tomorrow’s game...

• 97 replies

cjfish

Re: Tomorrow’s game...
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2018, 11:02:10 AM »
I cant believe anyone's brain could possibly process the playing careers of Hornacek and Mullin and come up with the proposition that they are in any way similar.  IDIOTCY. ::)

wpc77

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »
I cant believe anyone's brain could possibly process the playing careers of Hornacek and Mullin and come up with the proposition that they are in any way similar.  IDIOTCY. ::)

Yeah, at this point we have entered the twilight zone. Might be best to shut things down until our last game of the season.

derk

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
Bottom line the University can not afford another buy out. Mullin will be here until his contract is up. If the team turns it around next season he will probably get an extension for recruiting purposes.

Bottom line is the university cannot afford another buyout, publicity or dollar wise. The best chance this place has is he stays one more year, we lose no players or recruits, we hire a competent assistant and we come back next year guns a blazing. Anything short of that is a death sentence.

Poison

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »
Bottom line the University can not afford another buy out. Mullin will be here until his contract is up. If the team turns it around next season he will probably get an extension for recruiting purposes.

Bottom line is the university cannot afford another buyout, publicity or dollar wise. The best chance this place has is he stays one more year, we lose no players or recruits, we hire a competent assistant and we come back next year guns a blazing. Anything short of that is a death sentence.

What do you think the chances are that we don’t lose 2 or 3 of our top players if Mullin stays? I think they’re slim. Think about it from their perspective. Do you really think the players think they’re losing because the team doesn’t have enough players? Who is coming in that will change that?

Foad

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2018, 11:21:56 AM »
Good luck to all of you! I always felt that Chris Mullin and Jeff Hornacek were basically the same player. Could have taken either one on the Dream Team.

Confusing. On the one hand Hornacek was a walk on in college and you've expressed at great length what a critical role guys like Elijah Holifield play, being worth as they are several wins a year in the BE. On the other hand Hornacek walked on in Iowa - light years from the mean streets of Scarsdale where you grew up - meaning that he's a sissy and a hillbilly.  Whereas Mullin's a native NYer and all Nyers are the bees knees. Are you saying now that you'd prefer the sissy?

You’re having trouble following along. I’ve expressed that Holifield ISN’T critical but that his loss is one that we would miss during the season. And clearly I was correct. Trimble can’t put the ball on the floor. There was talk of him being a combo guard. (Insert bad joke about McDonald’s combo meal here) but he isn’t.

Critical was me employing hyperbole to make you look silly. Not that you need help there. Just like I don't think the streets of Scarsdale are actually rough and tumble or that everyone who doesn't ride the Metro North to work is a hillbilly. That all was more sarcasm. Anyway, what you said about EH was that "it would have helped to have him. Probably 1 or 2 games would have gone our way."  I disagree.

Joey De La Rosa, quite possibly the worst walk on we've ever had that played helped us win a BE game in a season where a loss would have meant the NIT. Check mate bitch.

You've crammed a lot of stupid into two short sentences. 

Even if what you say about JDL is true - and it doesn't appear to be - that one walk on once helped one team win one game is not proof that another walk on would have helped another team win two games.

Now:

Steve Lavin made the NCAA tournament once without Norm Roberts help. In that his only year at SJ, Joey De La Rosa - 6'11" 240 pounds - appeared in 18 games, nine of which were wins.

OOC

Vs Saint Mary's he played 12 minutes and scored 0 points. SJ won by 15.

Vs Long Beach he played three minutes and scored 0 points. SJ won by 15.

Vs Tulane he played 6 minutes and scored three points. SJ won by 27.

BE

Vs Providence he played six minutes and scored 0 points. SJ won by 13.

Vs Marquette he played one minute and scored 0 points. SJ won by 3.

Vs Providence he one minute and scored two points. SJ won by 11.

Vs Creighton he played one minute and scored 0 points. SJ won by 18.

Vs Xavierr he played one minute and scored 0 points. SJ won by 8.

Versus SH he played three minutes and scored 0 points. SJ won by 13.

So to recap, in conference JDL played 13 minutes and scored two points. Two of those games SJ won my fewer than 10 points. In those two games JDL scored no points, had no rebounds or assists, committed one turnover and two fouls.

So either you're lying or JDL helped SJ win a BE Game by turning the ball over in garbage time. Which is it.

derk

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »

What do you think the chances are that we don’t lose 2 or 3 of our top players if Mullin stays? I think they’re slim. Think about it from their perspective. Do you really think the players think they’re losing because the team doesn’t have enough players? Who is coming in that will change that?

Well then I guess it's the death penalty.

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »
Do we storm (red) the court after the win?

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »
https://nypost.com/2018/01/27/danny-hurleys-a-monster-and-rhode-island-is-the-beneficiary/

Yeah, but Mullin was a much better BE player than Hurley was.

To be fair he was also a much, much better Non conference player, HS player , NBA player, Olympic player,  All star Player....
I mean since you brought it up.

He was, but looking at his playing career objectively he was the worst of the best. Of the Dream Teamers he was the weakest link. Just saying.
Criticize his coaching. But, now his playing career?
Drexler and Latettner were the weak links.

Drexler was better than Mullin.
joke

Poison

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
https://nypost.com/2018/01/27/danny-hurleys-a-monster-and-rhode-island-is-the-beneficiary/

Yeah, but Mullin was a much better BE player than Hurley was.

To be fair he was also a much, much better Non conference player, HS player , NBA player, Olympic player,  All star Player....
I mean since you brought it up.

He was, but looking at his playing career objectively he was the worst of the best. Of the Dream Teamers he was the weakest link. Just saying.
Criticize his coaching. But, now his playing career?
Drexler and Latettner were the weak links.

Drexler was better than Mullin.
joke

Yes, of course it’s a joke. Mullin is the best BE player in the history of the conference. I can see that. Anyone who follows the BE can see that. He is also the worst coach in the history of the BE. Why aren’t people here able to see that? Both require an objective opinion. Not everyone has one of those.

Poison

« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »
Good luck to all of you! I always felt that Chris Mullin and Jeff Hornacek were basically the same player. Could have taken either one on the Dream Team.

Confusing. On the one hand Hornacek was a walk on in college and you've expressed at great length what a critical role guys like Elijah Holifield play, being worth as they are several wins a year in the BE. On the other hand Hornacek walked on in Iowa - light years from the mean streets of Scarsdale where you grew up - meaning that he's a sissy and a hillbilly.  Whereas Mullin's a native NYer and all Nyers are the bees knees. Are you saying now that you'd prefer the sissy?

You’re having trouble following along. I’ve expressed that Holifield ISN’T critical but that his loss is one that we would miss during the season. And clearly I was correct. Trimble can’t put the ball on the floor. There was talk of him being a combo guard. (Insert bad joke about McDonald’s combo meal here) but he isn’t.

Critical was me employing hyperbole to make you look silly. Not that you need help there. Just like I don't think the streets of Scarsdale are actually rough and tumble or that everyone who doesn't ride the Metro North to work is a hillbilly. That all was more sarcasm. Anyway, what you said about EH was that "it would have helped to have him. Probably 1 or 2 games would have gone our way."  I disagree.

Joey De La Rosa, quite possibly the worst walk on we've ever had that played helped us win a BE game in a season where a loss would have meant the NIT. Check mate bitch.

You've crammed a lot of stupid into two short sentences. 

Even if what you say about JDL is true - and it doesn't appear to be - that one walk on once helped one team win one game is not proof that another walk on would have helped another team win two games.

Now:

Steve Lavin made the NCAA tournament once without Norm Roberts help. In that his only year at SJ, Joey De La Rosa - 6'11" 240 pounds - appeared in 18 games, nine of which were wins.

OOC

Vs Saint Mary's he played 12 minutes and scored 0 points. SJ won by 15.

Vs Long Beach he played three minutes and scored 0 points. SJ won by 15.

Vs Tulane he played 6 minutes and scored three points. SJ won by 27.

BE

Vs Providence he played six minutes and scored 0 points. SJ won by 13.

Vs Marquette he played one minute and scored 0 points. SJ won by 3.

Vs Providence he one minute and scored two points. SJ won by 11.

Vs Creighton he played one minute and scored 0 points. SJ won by 18.

Vs Xavierr he played one minute and scored 0 points. SJ won by 8.

Versus SH he played three minutes and scored 0 points. SJ won by 13.

So to recap, in conference JDL played 13 minutes and scored two points. Two of those games SJ won my fewer than 10 points. In those two games JDL scored no points, had no rebounds or assists, committed one turnover and two fouls.

So either you're lying or JDL helped SJ win a BE Game by turning the ball over in garbage time. Which is it.

Wow, you’ve got a lot of time on your hands, but you missed the answer. Joey de la Rosa couldn’t score. He couldn’t rebound. He couldn’t pass. He could one thing: foul. And when you’ve got 6 serviceable players you need to keep them out of foul trouble. By committing a couple of fouls he kept key guys like Obekpa and Pointer on the court for longer. Not always. Not even usually, but at least once. It’s not a glamorous role. It’s barely a role at all, but it was necessary.

Foad

« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »
Wow, you’ve got a lot of time on your hands, but you missed the answer.

No problem, I knew you were lying and was happy to do the SJ community the favor of proving it. It only took like 10 minutes anyway.

Joey de la Rosa couldn’t score. He couldn’t rebound. He couldn’t pass. He could one thing: foul. And when you’ve got 6 serviceable players you need to keep them out of foul trouble. By committing a couple of fouls he kept key guys like Obekpa and Pointer on the court for longer. Not always. Not even usually, but at least once. It’s not a glamorous role. It’s barely a role at all, but it was necessary.

JDL committed five fouls in four BE wins during the year you referenced. SJ won those games by a combined 52 points. The smallest margin of victory was eight. Your position is that by committing those fouls JDL was instrumental in winning a critical game that was the difference between the NIT and the NCAA tournament. My position is that that's laughable.

TONYD3

« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
Joey delerosa not a good player. He never should have played a second. However he was needed. When he played he was t instrumental. No one argues he was. He played a a role in a few wins. It wasn’t a big role . Him being there didn’t make or break a season. In a few games we needed a big body. That’s it.
This team could use players like  delerosa, Phil missere, and geno Lawrence. Certainly not because they were good. Because they could play a role. Good teams with depth don’t need players like that. We play 6 and Amar. Amar is worse the useless.

Foad

« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »
He played a a role in a few wins.

Unless by "role" you mean he appeared on the court in a uniform then no didn't and you nice persons can repeat yourselves until you're blue in the mouth and it won't change anything. He played 13 minutes total in six conference wins. He played a single garbage time minute in four of those games. In the other two SJ won by a combined 26 points. In those games he scored 2 points and had 0 rebounds, which is other than the single basket he scored the same number of points and rebounds as were accumulated by the bench he sat on the other 227 minutes.  The best thing he did all year was punch Obekpa in his stupid grinning face.

Joey DeLa Rosa. You people are insane.

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »

URI played one team in the top 25...  They're the beneficiary of a soft schedule more than a monster coach.

TONYD3

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »

Unless by "role" you mean he appeared on the court in a uniform then no didn't and you nice persons can repeat yourselves until you're blue in the mouth and it won't change anything. He played 13 minutes total in six conference wins. He played a single garbage time minute in four of those games. In the other two SJ won by a combined 26 points. In those games he scored 2 points and had 0 rebounds, which is other than the single basket he scored the same number of points and rebounds as were accumulated by the bench he sat on the other 227 minutes.  The best thing he did all year was punch Obekpa in his stupid grinning face.

Hopefully next year. When we have a real coach. You can  argue that our real coach won with Chris mullin’s players. You could even put it on Wikipedia.

TONYD3

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2018, 11:23:49 AM »

URI played one team in the top 25...  They're the beneficiary of a soft schedule more than a monster coach.
He beat seton hall and providence . Lost to Virginia, Alabama, Nevada. 17-3 , 9-0 in conference.

Foad

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »

Hopefully next year. When we have a real coach. You can  argue that our real coach won with Chris mullin’s players. You could even put it on Wikipedia.

I little work this could have been written by ee cummings

Hopefully next year

When we have a real coach

You can argue

that our real coach

won with

Chris

mullin’s

players

You could even put it on Wikipedia