Game 24: #4 Duke

• 300 replies

goredmen

Re: Game 24: #4 Duke
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2018, 02:52:15 PM »
78-73 St. John's.

Ponds goes for 40.

It's only 6:30. You shouldn't be black out drunk already. Long night ahead

Sit down and shut up. 22 wins next year!!! Nobody will stop Ponds.

I’ve never been happier to be wrong. My apologies

Marillac

« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2018, 02:57:52 PM »
78-73 St. John's.

Ponds goes for 40.

Hahaha I menst that jokingly...hopefully you took it her way.

Get on board for 22+ wins now. What Ponds is doing to top 5 teams is just crazy. He gets to the lane at will against first round picks.

« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2018, 03:05:35 PM »
I hope foad didn't retire. Looking forward to this write up
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2018, 03:10:09 PM »
78-73 St. John's.

Ponds goes for 40.

Hahaha I menst that jokingly...hopefully you took it her way.

Get on board for 22+ wins now. What Ponds is doing to top 5 teams is just crazy. He gets to the lane at will against first round picks.
Not only does he get in the lane, but he is a magition around the basket. He has an uncanny ability to get the ball in the hoop.   Bash is a lot better then people give him credit for. Owens is developing a nice inside game. We are a lot better than our record. Hopefully kids get a nice confidence boost.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:51:33 PM by ras »

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2018, 03:29:05 PM »
Ahmed the game of his life. Huge day
+1'000. I'll take this win and 2-3 conference wins going into the Seton hall MSG game where hopefully we can duplicate today's effort and atmosphere and get a big win against local rival in front of tons of recruits.

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2018, 03:35:29 PM »
Could not be happier for Chris and the kids.

Shanorie was tremendous.  Hopefully this ignites them a little, finish strong 4 or 5 wins.

Let's get some momentum into next year...

Johnny23

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »
Huge win in so many ways. A nice moment in an otherwise tough season.

goredmen

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2018, 03:58:28 PM »
I've been very critical of the staff's in-game coaching this season but I must say they did a good job making adjustments on the fly today. The shot selection still wasn't great on a number of possessions but overall wasn't as bad as some other games this season.

Trent hit a few 3s early in the game and he was well on his way to hitting 10. The guys did a good job staying with him and running him off the 3 point line after the first few makes. He still went 5-7 but the fact he only took 7 means they made a conscious effort to make him beat us from inside the line.

Until the last few mins they did a good job forcing Duval to shoot 3s which isn't his strength at all. Really did a good job making him uncomfortable when driving to the lane which he's really good at.

Duke's adjustment that got them the lead late in the game was to double Ponds on every ball screen. It got them a couple key stops. Our staff countered by having Ponds attack before the screen was set taking the defender out of the lane and not giving them the chance to double. Ponds beat Duval off the dribble for a layup and never gave up the lead after that.

Got to give credit where it's due today. Staff had a good defensive gameplan and made good adjustments throughout the game. Hope to see that continue

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »
I've been very critical of the staff's in-game coaching this season but I must say they did a good job making adjustments on the fly today. The shot selection still wasn't great on a number of possessions but overall wasn't as bad as some other games this season.

Trent hit a few 3s early in the game and he was well on his way to hitting 10. The guys did a good job staying with him and running him off the 3 point line after the first few makes. He still went 5-7 but the fact he only took 7 means they made a conscious effort to make him beat us from inside the line.

Until the last few mins they did a good job forcing Duval to shoot 3s which isn't his strength at all. Really did a good job making him uncomfortable when driving to the lane which he's really good at.

Duke's adjustment that got them the lead late in the game was to double Ponds on every ball screen. It got them a couple key stops. Our staff countered by having Ponds attack before the screen was set taking the defender out of the lane and not giving them the chance to double. Ponds beat Duval off the dribble for a layup and never gave up the lead after that.

Got to give credit where it's due today. Staff had a good defensive gameplan and made good adjustments throughout the game. Hope to see that continue

St. Jean set up a great look for ponds on lay out of bounds play. Before it happened I was yelling at the tv that they needed to spread out away from the corner. Credit to him
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »
Duke can’t defend well, especially pick & roll. Team well prepared to attack that today

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »
I'm not.  You want to go to Europe and play, go to Europe and play.  Don't tell us you are in, have the entire year be built around you and Ponds playing 30 plus minutes a night (leading to Ellison and possibly Mussini leaving because of PT), only to leave us in the lurch.  We know this isn't  a serious knee injury; this is a kid who is being advised to not play through a minor issue because his advisors are telling him so.  If that was going to be the mindset, he should have just left last year and allowed us to bring in someone else, because it probably means at least Ellison is still here and we are playing with 8 or 9 guys regularly and have a bunch of conference wins.  You want out to to start making money - all good - we don't need you celebrating on the sidelines.

Glad LoVett is there to celebrate with his teammates

goredmen

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »
Duke can’t defend well, especially pick & roll. Team well prepared to attack that today

Our primary offense throughout the season has revolved around ball screens but agree they emphasized it more today as Duke has struggled to defend it.

I'm more impressed with how the team played defensively. Duke has 5 first round picks and they never really looked comfortable on offense

Wods317

« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
I’m sure this has been touched on but that pick and roll with Simon and Owens early was awesome. I think duke became aware eventually of what they were doing but that got us some easy baskets early. Good game plan and great way for shamorie to finish and be the closer we need.

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »
When Owens fumbled that easy hoop under the basket, which would have extended the lead to 3, I thought it was going to be another heartbreaker in a year of heartbreakers.

The irony is that this W probably helps recruiting and the external view of the program more than going 6-12 or 7-11 in the Big East.

« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
I think Coach K needs to get a X and O guy to help him during the game . He even took his Coat off . His Assistant Coaches like Capel looked lost and could only look at their Game Pads . The Duke program  needs Mike Rice  to help with the Practices and in game  adjustments .. Gee , see how easy it is to turn the wheel against any Coach . Even the winningest Coach in NCAA history .   Think we can drop the Bone on Mullin for a while ? Like maybe the rest of the Season . Hope so ..

TONYD3

« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2018, 04:26:32 PM »
Yes . Congrats

goredmen

« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »
Another important thing the staff did well today was attack Duke's 2-3 so well that they never really stuck with it. We've seen this team look lost against zones earlier this season which turned momentum in important situations but today they looked well prepared to attack it and executed well. Ahmed running the baseline for an open 3 and Clark making an open 15 footer caused Duke to ditch the zone pretty quickly

« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »
I think Coach K needs to get a X and O guy to help him during the game . He even took his Coat off . His Assistant Coaches like Capel looked lost and could only look at their Game Pads . The Duke program  needs Mike Rice  to help with the Practices and in game  adjustments .. Gee , see how easy it is to turn the wheel against any Coach . Even the winningest Coach in NCAA history .   Think we can drop the Bone on Mullin for a while ? Like maybe the rest of the Season . Hope so ..

Coach K's overall record speaks for itself.  Nice try, though. 

Just celebrate today's win, instead of interjecting weak sauce.

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2018, 04:37:53 PM »
Another important thing the staff did well today was attack Duke's 2-3 so well that they never really stuck with it. We've seen this team look lost against zones earlier this season which turned momentum in important situations but today they looked well prepared to attack it and executed well. Ahmed running the baseline for an open 3 and Clark making an open 15 footer caused Duke to ditch the zone pretty quickly

Good defense isn't being taught or properly taught throughout a lot of high school teams and AAU circuit.  So, that's where Coach K is having his work cut out for him.  I've seen his team this season clamp down at times, but it's not nearly consistent enough.  It's usually when they're making a run or playing at home.

Good job by Ahmed today, as he came up big!