Game 24: #4 Duke

• 300 replies
Re: Game 24: #4 Duke
« Reply #280 on: February 07, 2018, 06:39:25 AM »
I think Coach K needs to get a X and O guy to help him during the game . He even took his Coat off . His Assistant Coaches like Capel looked lost and could only look at their Game Pads . The Duke program  needs Mike Rice  to help with the Practices and in game  adjustments .. Gee , see how easy it is to turn the wheel against any Coach . Even the winningest Coach in NCAA history .   Think we can drop the Bone on Mullin for a while ? Like maybe the rest of the Season . Hope so ..

Coach K's overall record speaks for itself.  Nice try, though. 

Just celebrate today's win, instead of interjecting weak sauce.

100% disagree.  If nitwits on this website are going to constantly harp, exclaim on bad coaching, ignore good coaching/play earlier this season, and ignore some good coaching/play during close loses, then slyfoxx has every reasonable right to interject a wise-guy post in support of the staff.  It's not 'weak sauce'.  Why should he be told what to do, and roll-over when he has an example to argue his side?

Carry on slyfoxx, carry on.

He can interject all day, if he like.  It still doesn't help his cause or make him sound less silly.

To be honest though the staff has gotten a bad rap. The issue is more of the players' inability to execute rather than the staff not knowing what they are doing. Some players' just wont do what you want them to do no matter who the coach is. That's when they sit on the bench and get recruited over. We don't have the luxury of sitting players who refuse to rotate and box out ie Clark and Ahmed. Now this is the team the staff fielded so if they should take a hit it would be their recruiting. They can't miss with next years class.

+1

TONYD3

« Reply #281 on: February 07, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
In year one Durand Johnson, Ron M, christina jones, and whoever played didn’t box out or play defense. That team couldn’t guard incarnate word.
Year 2 was the worst defensive team in any sport. That team gave up 90 plus points probably 7/8 times and over 100 atleast twice. Mussini completely overmatched physically, was best perimeter defender.
Year 3- over rated defense, still doesn’t box out for Long stretches. Simon and Clarke are huge improvements.
Staff gets a pass for not knowing who shooters are, not closing out on shooters, and refusing to box out. That is beyond ridiculous. Some of you deserve 0-11.

Have no idea what happens in practice. Nothing is ever fixed in a games. Closing out on a particular shooter could certainly happen during a game. I have absolutely never heard Mullin say box out during games. He says “shut the fxck up” plenty. He argues plenty.

TONYD3

« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2018, 08:11:12 AM »
Bad rap is ridiculous. Wojo has cupard issues and has been decent. His seat is getting warm. We have never ending 2 year plans.

Foad

« Reply #283 on: February 07, 2018, 08:26:36 AM »
In year one Durand Johnson, Ron M, christina jones, and whoever played didn’t box out or play defense. That team couldn’t guard incarnate word.
Year 2 was the worst defensive team in any sport. That team gave up 90 plus points probably 7/8 times and over 100 atleast twice. Mussini completely overmatched physically, was best perimeter defender.
Year 3- over rated defense, still doesn’t box out for Long stretches. Simon and Clarke are huge improvements.
Staff gets a pass for not knowing who shooters are, not closing out on shooters, and refusing to box out. That is beyond ridiculous. Some of you deserve 0-11.

Have no idea what happens in practice. Nothing is ever fixed in a games. Closing out on a particular shooter could certainly happen during a game. I have absolutely never heard Mullin say box out during games. He says “shut the fxck up” plenty. He argues plenty.

Long post, Taco Bell for dinner?

TONYD3

« Reply #284 on: February 07, 2018, 08:44:25 AM »

Long post, Taco Bell for dinner?
Did this as I was covering a class. I am an experienced educator.

Poison

« Reply #285 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
There were huge guys at the game. Anyone know who they were?

« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »
2020 Elijah Wood.... 

Matt Cohen‏
@Matt_Cohen_
Got to speak to 2020 @247recruiting #81 overall player @The301Elijah briefly about his @StJohnsBBall visit over the weekend, where he saw the upset win over Duke. Told me that St. John’s is definitely in his top five right now, and that he really enjoyed the visit.

We are recruiting Frodo?

paultzman

« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:17 AM »

Cisse & Cockburn from CTK  were two

« Reply #288 on: February 07, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »

Cisse & Cockburn from CTK  were two

Cisse is a stud
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #289 on: February 07, 2018, 11:26:45 AM »

Hear him tell them box out all the time! Our defense was very good with Lovett.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #290 on: February 07, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »

pmg911

« Reply #291 on: February 09, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
TOTAL SIDE NOTE

I have been trying to start a new thread but the link doesn't seem to be working

TONYD3

« Reply #292 on: February 09, 2018, 01:28:26 PM »
TOTAL SIDE NOTE

I have been trying to start a new thread but the link doesn't seem to be working
Think it worked from my computer. Not from iPhone

SJUFAN

« Reply #293 on: February 09, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »
Have no idea what happens in practice. 

Since you don't know how are you so sure it's not being taught? Rhetorical question. I've seen enough improvement on the defensive side of the ball to know it is being taught. We beat the #1 and #4 teams in the country not because the coaching staff had an epiphany, but because Ponds found his shot. Players need to execute, if they don't, they will be recruited over. That takes time when your starting from scratch.

It's interesting you describe the team's defense in Year 3 as "over rated", opposed to improved.

TONYD3

« Reply #294 on: February 09, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
Have no idea what happens in practice.

Since you don't know how are you so sure it's not being taught? Rhetorical taught. I've seen enough improvement on the defensive side of the ball to know it is being taught. We beat the #1 and #4 teams in the country not because the coaching staff had an epiphany, but because Ponds found his shot. Players need to execute.
That was written before the nova game. Really happy we won the last two games. Extremely excited for tomorrow.
As for our defense, it was absolutely terrible last year. This year I think we are worst in the country in 3 point defense (held nova to 24 percent). In big east we -10 rebounding margin (we out rebounded nova). In my opinion that’s an incredible improvement. Something definitely changed. I am well aware that it is a small sample. If those skills were taught properly we should have seen better results earlier.
The last 2 games 15 and 17 3 pointers attempted. Sometimes we are clOse to 30. Again small sample size. But instead of losing close games, we won both.

SJUFAN

« Reply #295 on: February 09, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »
If those skills were taught properly we should have seen better results earlier.

Again, how do you know they weren't? That is my point. You can't just say "well look at the results".  Yeah but that can be simply due to the players making better decisions and Ponds playing out of his mind the last 3 games. It's not necessarily that the staff is preaching anything different. It can take a while for players to buy into a concept, some never get it. I just don't like this narrative that the staff isn't doing this or that based on what we see on the court, with the exception of inbound plays, they are the worst.

« Reply #296 on: February 09, 2018, 05:28:02 PM »
How do you know the inbound plays are the worst.  Could just be execution issues.  ;)

SJUFAN

« Reply #297 on: February 09, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »
How do you know the inbound plays are the worst.  Could just be execution issues.  ;)

I thought about that prior to posting because its true to a extent. but I look at the design of the inbound plays and they are so basic. No misdirection, hardly any screens, no staggered movement. In tight games when the defense is raised a notch they will struggle inbounding the ball.

TONYD3

« Reply #298 on: February 10, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »
If those skills were taught properly we should have seen better results earlier.

Again, how do you know they weren't? That is my point. You can't just say "well look at the results".  Yeah but that can be simply due to the players making better decisions and Ponds playing out of his mind the last 3 games. It's not necessarily that the staff is preaching anything different. It can take a while for players to buy into a concept, some never get it. I just don't like this narrative that the staff isn't doing this or that based on what we see on the court, with the exception of inbound plays, they are the worst.

This should be a positive day. Don’t want to bash the staff. But boxing out isn’t a concept. Identifying shooters isn’t a concept. Playing within yourself isn’t a concept
I coached a middle schools team that one day just got it. They just started doing everything right. We went from being a bad team almost winless.to almost wining a championship.

THIS POST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COACHING MIDDLE SCHOOL SPORTS! Division 1 big east athletes should know how shoukd never play as lost as we did. I am sure the players are making better decisions. But this should have happened quicker.

Poison

« Reply #299 on: February 10, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »

The logic of blaming the players doesn’t work in amateur sports. The coaches are less experienced than the players. We won the last two games because Shamorie Ponds started hitting shots and finishing plays. That is the difference in these games. The rest is about the same.