Nova Game

• 176 replies

goredmen

Re: Nova Game
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2018, 03:16:36 PM »
We'd have to run the table, and lose in the BET championship game to get an at large bid. And even then we'd probably be a bubble team.

so you think if we run the table and lose in BET with a 21-14 record with wins over Duke Nova, seton hall, butler, 2x Marq and Nebraska and say hypothetical (Depaul, Xavier and Creighton) in big east tourney and lose nova in championship we would be still only bubble? i think thats more like a lock 11-1 last 12 games....again what are chances that happens or we do that but hey its fun to dream!!

I think it would be very tough to overcome a losing conference record. Has there ever been a team with a losing conference record that was considered much more than a bubble team?

Not only will we have a losing record we'll be 5-7 games under at best

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »
We'd have to run the table, and lose in the BET championship game to get an at large bid. And even then we'd probably be a bubble team.

so you think if we run the table and lose in BET with a 21-14 record with wins over Duke Nova, seton hall, butler, 2x Marq and Nebraska and say hypothetical (Depaul, Xavier and Creighton) in big east tourney and lose nova in championship we would be still only bubble? i think thats more like a lock 11-1 last 12 games....again what are chances that happens or we do that but hey its fun to dream!!

I think it would be very tough to overcome a losing conference record. Has there ever been a team with a losing conference record that was considered much more than a bubble team?

Where do you get 5-7 under at best from?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
When you remove Booth and Paschall from Villanova we're the better team. All of the ingredients made last night ripe for an upset, once I heard the Paschall news I really started to get excited pregame. The building was still hungover from the Super Bowl, the weather sucked, and they were down two starters. We proved we could hang in w their full roster weeks before and they were the better team on the floor all night long yesterday.

The past 5 days have changed the season around in remarkable fashion. We were looking at 10-15 (0-12), to be now @12-13 (1-11) and the talk of the country is remarkable. You couldn't of scripted a better timed surge in Year3 of Mullin. Everything has now changed--perception, recruiting, and most importantly more life this season.

These wins more than anything have gifted us the ability to be able to surpass last season's win total, have another year end winning record, and play in the post season. We all deserve this after the rebuild we've been through and the January we all experienced together. Hat tip to the players, who's resiliency is a life lesson for anyone. You never give up belief in yourself no matter the circumstances. Get me to Saturday!
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2018, 03:47:11 PM »
I'm expecting a beatdown.

Thank God. Not sure if some of the St Johns fans here could handle another top 5 win. There would be a battle royal. Winner gets anal

Well....  We haven't seen you around today, Baldi.  Did you take yourself up on your own words?   LOL  Just clownin'. 

goredmen

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2018, 04:09:58 PM »

If we go 4-2 in last 6 regular season and 2-1 in the BET which is a generous assumption, that puts us at 7 games under

« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2018, 04:22:09 PM »

If we go 4-2 in last 6 regular season and 2-1 in the BET which is a generous assumption, that puts us at 7 games under

Gottya. The scenario referenced was run the table and lose in conference finals.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »

Thank God. Not sure if some of the St Johns fans here could handle another top 5 win. There would be a battle royal. Winner gets anal

Well....  We haven't seen you around today, Baldi.  Did you take yourself up on your own words?   LOL  Just clownin'. 

Been traveling since 3am. Jackson Hole

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2018, 05:54:37 PM »
Another mental black passed was that Wright try to psych out the team by purposely fouling them with a lot of time on the clock. They weren’t perfect but they were clutch enough.

CA should be rocking again so hopefully this will give the team enough juice to notcome out sluggish and end up trying to play catch up the whole game. It would’ve great to keep the buzz going and be at 500.
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2018, 06:00:57 PM »

4-2 isn't an option. It's 6-0 or 5-1 with a win or two in the BET. You're focusing on win-loss instead of SOS and categories of losses. That is what the committee prioritized. Nearly all of our losses in either scenario above would be consisered a "quadrant 1" loss. ON PAPER we played one of the toughest seasons college basketball has ever seen.

I'd be ecstatic with a .500 finish and NIT invite after the way things started in conference play, but I'd love to see these kids rattle off 5-6 wins in a row with this new do or die mentality.

Marillac

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2018, 06:03:40 PM »
BTW Donte looks like a different player when he isn't the 4th or 5th option doesn't he? It's not easy shouldering responsibility like that.

« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2018, 06:27:05 PM »
BTW Donte looks like a different player when he isn't the 4th or 5th option doesn't he? It's not easy shouldering responsibility like that.

Yeah he was exposed but they had another just random white guy sharpshooter ready. Where do these guys even come from

Marillac

« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2018, 08:56:38 PM »

Yeah he was exposed but they had another just random white guy sharpshooter ready. Where do these guys even come from

It's that role that's so dangerous. Donte killed us in it. Gillespie did some damage too last night. Brunson is a beast. Spellman, when he's not tired, is a beast, and Bridges is a lottery pick. Someone is going to get looks with that many options. Nova always has a  back-breaking # of options.

Poison

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2018, 11:19:03 PM »

He’ll come off the bench in the NBDL with Grayson.

SJUFAN

« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2018, 12:13:51 AM »
Lets just hope we finish strong and make the NIT. If Ponds continues to play like this then we will win some games.

« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2018, 12:41:14 AM »

Been traveling since 3am. Jackson Hole

"JACKSON'S HOLE" - anal reference

« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »
Reality check here.  No team with 15 losses has ever received an at large bid.  I'm betting no team with an 11 game losing streak has either.  Choice is simple.  Wow the committee by winning out in the regular season and at least 2 in the BET or win the BET.  No other options, #1 SOS or not.  And getting into the NIT is going to require being at least a couple games over .500 as well.  At present the RPI/Committee record is still 11-13, Molloy doesn't count.  That means 5-1 finish and 1-1 BET to even make the NIT.

Foad

« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »
Reality check here.  No team with 15 losses has ever received an at large bid.  I'm betting no team with an 11 game losing streak has either.  Choice is simple.  Wow the committee by winning out in the regular season and at least 2 in the BET or win the BET.  No other options, #1 SOS or not.  And getting into the NIT is going to require being at least a couple games over .500 as well.  At present the RPI/Committee record is still 11-13, Molloy doesn't count.  That means 5-1 finish and 1-1 BET to even make the NIT.

Thanks wet blanket.

Marillac

« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2018, 07:43:20 PM »
Reality check here.  No team with 15 losses has ever received an at large bid. 
Vanderbilt got an at large bid with 15 losses just last season. Are you serious?

Marillac

« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »

Could you possibly squeeze anymore wrong into one post? You think we need to go 5-1 and 1-1 to make the NIT!!!! Have you ever heard of RPI before? 5-1 and 1-1 is a goddamn #1 seed in the NIT if we aren't in the dance. Some of you are just clueless.

goredmen

« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2018, 07:57:44 PM »

Could you possibly squeeze anymore wrong into one post? You think we need to go 5-1 and 1-1 to make the NIT!!!! Have you ever heard of RPI before? 5-1 and 1-1 is a goddamn #1 seed in the NIT if we aren't in the dance. Some of you are just clueless.

There is no way a team that went 7-13 in their conference with 2 losses to Georgetown and a loss to DePaul is even in the conversation for the NCAA Tournament. RPI is just one of like 8 things the committee will look at this year.