Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies

paultzman

Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2018, 10:00:51 PM »
Had 11 points,hit a three & had six rebounds in low scoring affair. Tourney champs though.

ras

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2018, 11:18:08 PM »
 Another down side to him at this time, is w all the investigations going on, there will be decommitments of recruits.

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2018, 06:42:17 AM »
They will have 2-3 scholarships available I assume.

I have seen a lot of North Jersey basketball the last 3 years as a very good friend of mine is the PG for Bergen Catholic (Don Bosco's rival).

One thing with Marcellus is the kid never really been 100% a basketball player. For 6 months out of the year, he drops the basketball and plays football. He now has walked away from football and is dedicating himself to the hardwood. Even with that 6 month hiatus, he still has progressed enough to A10 schools being aggressive here.

I think there is a chance this kid can really develop. Again if not, things can change for either party down the line.

Curious to see how the visit goes this weekend.

Great family, great kid. Low maintenance, great teammate, and exceptional kid.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:56:20 AM by jmattera83 »

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
I know I would take Sean Evans on this team right now. Sign me up

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2018, 11:48:09 AM »
I know I would take Sean Evans on this team right now. Sign me up
Sean Evans was 6-7 and an actually ranked 3 star recruit.  Earlington is a 6-4 3 star FOOTBALL recruit. I'd be OK to have him on board as a walk-on. To waste a scholly or expect any type of contribution from this kid is laughable.

Foad

« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2018, 05:17:29 PM »
Earlington is a 6-4 3 star FOOTBALL recruit. I'd be OK to have him on board as a walk-on. To waste a scholly or expect any type of contribution from this kid is laughable.

He's a first team all state basketball player. What's laughable about that?

Tiger

« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »
Signing Earlington would mean the staffs feels Brown is not coming or someone else is leaving....

goredmen

« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »
Signing Earlington would mean the staffs feels Brown is not coming or someone else is leaving....

Still have one open scholarship from Sid Wilson.
Ahmed + Amar graduating. Lovett gone. Yakwe likely gone. 5 scholarships open total.
Williams + Roberts only two committed right now. Can bring Earlington in and still have 2 open scholarships if nobody else leaves.

paultzman

« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »

Still have one open scholarship from Sid Wilson.
Ahmed + Amar graduating. Lovett gone. Yakwe likely gone. 5 scholarships open total.
Williams + Roberts only two committed right now. Can bring Earlington in and still have 2 open scholarships if nobody else leaves.
Exactly

« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2018, 08:32:50 PM »
Earlington is a 6-4 3 star FOOTBALL recruit. I'd be OK to have him on board as a walk-on. To waste a scholly or expect any type of contribution from this kid is laughable.

The laughable part is the fact he's 6-4 and he has no high major interest. Who were the main players in his bball recruitment during his junior year?  American U and Robert Morris?  That really screams freshman year big east contributor to me.

Foad

« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2018, 09:02:20 PM »
The laughable part is the fact he's 6-4

Calvin Murphy was 5'9, what's your point. If you have one write it IN ALL CAPS so I can identify it.

[,,,}

Who were the main players in his bball recruitment.... Robert Morris? 

Is that the Robert Morris that beat the shit out of SJ at home in the NIT a couple years ago during the glorious Lavin years or is that a different Robert Morris.

« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2018, 09:16:32 PM »

Would love another Calvin Murphy! He was really the cat's meow.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:17:41 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »
The laughable part is the fact he's 6-4

Calvin Murphy was 5'9, what's your point. If you have one write it IN ALL CAPS so I can identify it.

[,,,}

Who were the main players in his bball recruitment.... Robert Morris? 

Is that the Robert Morris that beat the shit out of SJ at home in the NIT a couple years ago during the glorious Lavin years or is that a different Robert Morris.

Is it the norm that 5'9 players (or in this case 6'4 post players)  succeed in basketball or is this person you're bringing up from 2 decades before I was born an outlier?

No, you're correct that's the same Robert Morris that beat Steve lavin following one of his down years where we only won 20 games but I would certainly hope that the almighty Chris Mullin has us on the right track to be a far superior program in comparison to that powerhouse from the northeast conference.

Dude your shtick is so tiresome.  If you truly believe this is the type of player we should be bringing on in what should be a make it or break it year for this staff then I don't know what to say.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:39:45 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

goredmen

« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »

The laughable part is the fact he's 6-4 and he has no high major interest. Who were the main players in his bball recruitment during his junior year?  American U and Robert Morris?  That really screams freshman year big east contributor to me.

He is not being brought in to score 15 ppg in his freshman season or ever. Hell, he might not even play at all next year and that would be fine. He's being brought in because he provides something that we currently don't have which is toughness. Maybe with this kid pushing Owens around in practice everyday Owens wouldn't get pushed to the ground by guys like Delgado 5x a game.

There aren't guys that will make a big impact right away still available busting down the door to Mullin's office begging him to let them join. So what the hell do you want

« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2018, 10:42:44 PM »

He is not being brought in to score 15 ppg in his freshman season or ever. Hell, he might not even play at all next year and that would be fine. He's being brought in because he provides something that we currently don't have which is toughness. Maybe with this kid pushing Owens around in practice everyday Owens wouldn't get pushed to the ground by guys like Delgado 5x a game.

There aren't guys that will make a big impact right away still available busting down the door to Mullin's office begging him to let them join. So what the hell do you want
Isn't the fact that there isn't anyone able to make an impact busting down the doors to come play here a big part of the problem. We knew Mullin wouldn't be a good in game coach but we at least thought he'd be a good recruiter.  Instead we're sitting here for the second year in a row with the 7th best incoming recruiting class in the big east. What the hell do I want!?! I want the guy who was hired under the pretense that he'd be able to entice kids to come play for St Johns to actually do some recruiting and get some good players.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:43:12 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

ras

« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2018, 11:20:22 PM »
I have no problem w him. But need an impact big for next year. We struck out last year and so far this year. Hope Mat is  checking out the JUCO ranks as well as grad transfer route.

Poison

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2018, 11:28:32 PM »

We do need tougher players, and it would be great if this kid turned out to be one of them. It would be a neat trick though if he helps us play tougher basketball without actually playing. I was counting on the staff to help us do that, but maybe Marcellus can convince Owens and Clark to box out.

What concerns me has less to do with his ranking and more to do with a staff that has only landed their prime recruiting target once and this is their 4th class.

« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »
paultz,

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
I have no problem w him. But need an impact big for next year. 

^^^^
This. 

If we only bring in Earlington and can't land or don't bring in an impact big....  Not good, IMO.

What concerns me has less to do with his ranking and more to do with a staff that has only landed their prime recruiting target once and this is their 4th class.

^^^^
This.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:55:39 PM by mjdinkins »

paultzman

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2018, 02:05:44 PM »
paultz,

Imminent I sense
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:06:17 PM by paultzman »