Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies

Foad

Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
Lose Ahmed, yakwe and maybe someone else and expect to improve?

Big Ahmed fan are you?
No I am not.

So then why is losing him bad.

« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »

Big Ahmed fan are you?
No I am not.

Is that someone else you alluded to Amar? That ones gonna hurt.

« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »

Big Ahmed fan are you?
No I am not.

Subtraction by Subtraction

TONYD3

« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »

Big Ahmed fan are you?
No I am not.

Because who is replacing him?

Moose

« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2018, 07:46:39 PM »
Everyone clammoring for an impact big am I the only one who thinks a guard is more important

Alan Griffin...

Would love that but didn't I read the interest wasn't mutual
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2018, 08:34:07 PM »
Everyone clammoring for an impact big am I the only one who thinks a guard is more important

Alan Griffin...

Not sure who said that but you know Westchester better than I do....:)

Foad

« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2018, 08:55:47 PM »

Big Ahmed fan are you?
No I am not.

You called him a black hole. Maybe some other black hole.

The one you mentioned I'm worried about is Yakwe. It's going to be tough to find someone who can average nearly one DNP coach's decision a game. Hopefully Matt's working full time to fill his shoes.

« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2018, 09:31:01 PM »

Alan Griffin...
Impact players lol

Laugh if you want but if you think there's a bunch of Max Hoopers and Marco Bourgualts banging down the door to come here you're probably mistaken.
I certainly wouldn't want any of the lavin role players you mentioned.  If shamorie were to leave Mullin would need multiple guys who can make a serious impact to come in. Especially considering he's an awful in game coach.

You're such a shill. I can never tell if you're completely out of your mind or if you just enjoy arguing with people.  You can't seriously disagree with the opinion I was throwing out that this team would be in big trouble if we lost Shamorie and added Earlington and Alan Griffin.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:50:32 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

Foad

« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »

Alan Griffin...
Impact players lol

Laugh if you want but if you think there's a bunch of Max Hoopers and Marco Bourgualts banging down the door to come here you're probably mistaken.
I certainly wouldn't want any of the lavin role players you mentioned.  If shamorie were to leave Mullin would need multiple guys who can make a serious impact to come in. Especially considering he's an awful in game coach.

You're such a shill. I can never tell if you're completely out of your mind or if you just enjoy arguing with people.  You can't seriously disagree with the opinion I was throwing out that this team would be in big trouble if we lost Shamorie and added Earlington and Alan Griffin.

I don't know who Alan Griffin is and moreover I don't care: I find recruits and recruiting boring. There's nothing in your post about Ponds and nothing in my response was directed at his leaving, which that would be very bad but I don't see it happening. And since you can't tell I'll help you out, I'm both completely out of my mind and I enjoy arguing, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Despite which I have a long track record of being right most all of the time about most things but not always because only the pope is infallible.

TONYD3

« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2018, 09:29:54 AM »

Big Ahmed fan are you?
No I am not.

You called him a black hole. Maybe some other black hole.

The one you mentioned I'm worried about is Yakwe. It's going to be tough to find someone who can average nearly one DNP coach's decision a game. Hopefully Matt's working full time to fill his shoes.
Yes I did call him a black hole. Still he is not being replaced. And is currently the 5th best player on the team. Have to think he would be better if he went to Texas or a different school.  Yakwe should be more productive then he has been. DNP coaches decision makes sense if the coach was competent. He is the 6th best player on the team, would be a senior, former freshman all conference player, and 4 star recuit.
Has Lovett been replaced?
Foady - with information that you currently have how do you think next year will go? I don’t expect you to answer that. 10th, 9th and 10th. This experiment needs to end

« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2018, 09:38:46 AM »

Alan Griffin...
Impact players lol

I don't know who Alan Griffin is and moreover I don't care: I find recruits and recruiting boring. There's nothing in your post about Ponds and nothing in my response was directed at his leaving, which that would be very bad but I don't see it happening. And since you can't tell I'll help you out, I'm both completely out of my mind and I enjoy arguing, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Despite which I have a long track record of being right most all of the time about most things but not always because only the pope is infallible.
Fordhams Alan Griffin comment was in response to sjuhoopnut and Moose's back and forth on page 7 about how "everyone clamoring for an impact big" while they thought a guard would be more important if Shamorie were to leave.

I don't blame you for not knowing who Alan Griffin is, because he's not ranked by any services, but why would you argue with people upset at being involved with players like Earlington and Griffin if you don't really know anything about their games?

I take the complete opposite view on recruiting. I view it as the lifeblood of college sports. Considering the last two coaches we've had haven't been xs and os wizards,  I think it makes having top notch kids coming in even more important. Seems like the main thing you and I disagree on is lavins time at sju. If you aren't interested in recruiting then I 100% understand why you weren't a lavin guy.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:48:04 AM by colelatshaw2010 »

Foad

« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
Yes I did call him a black hole. Still he is not being replaced. And is currently the 5th best player on the team.

Based upon my understanding of physics if they find a cancer to replace the black hole that would would that be an improvement. So I'm hoping BA is replaced by a benign tumor.

Yakwe should be more productive then he has been. DNP coaches decision makes sense if the coach was competent. He is the 6th best player on the team, would be a senior, former freshman all conference player, and 4 star recuit.

I agree. Very disappointed in Yakwe's play and the way he's been used.

Has Lovett been replaced?

I assume Dixon is his replacement. Anyway he just quit a month ago. Unlike you I don't think Mullin's a magician.

Foady - with information that you currently have how do you think next year will go? I don’t expect you to answer that. 10th, 9th and 10th.

Hopefully it goes well. They were NIT slash bubble bound when Lovett quit. Just about what I expected. Next year if everyone comes back and they add a big I'd expect a bid.

This experiment needs to end

The great thing about you is your malleability. When they win in the pre season the players stink, Ahmed's a black hole, Yawke's terrible and so on. Then when the team lose in the regular season the staff stinks and the players are talented. Then when they win a couple you think the staff is good and then when they lose they you think they stink again and when they try and replace the players who stink the players who are coming might stink more. It's almost like you like to complain. I suggest you eat more fiber.

Foad

« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2018, 10:51:03 AM »
Fordhams Alan Griffin comment was in response to sjuhoopnut and Moose's back and forth on page 7 about how "everyone clamoring for an impact big" while they thought a guard would be more important if Shamorie were to leave.

Okay well I wasn't conversant with fordham's response to sjuhoopnet's response to moose's response to sjuhoopnut's reponse to fordham's response to sjuhoopnut about a hypothetical situation when I read your post. My post was in response to what you wrote.

I don't blame you for not knowing who Alan Griffin is, because he's not ranked by any services, but why would you argue with people upset at being involved with players like Earlington and Griffin if you don't really know anything about their games?

What I notice is that the people who are upset about being involved with players like Earlington and Griffin are people who are upset with Mullin in general. People who think that the previous coach should not have been fired, that Mullin should not have been hired, and that now he should be fired. I'm not upset with Mullin in general and am anyway a thorough going skeptic and contrarian who likes to argue. So I present the opposite view point, and especially because I don't recall these same posters saying why is Lavin recruiting Marco Bourgault and Max Hooper and Amir Alibagofgarbage and Felix Balamou and Keith Thomas.

Regarding these two players in particular, from what little I've read one is an all state basketball player and the other a three star recruit, of good size, the son of an NBA player who "averaged 18.5 points, 9.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 2.5 steals while shooting 48 percent from the field, 48 percent from beyond the arc and 79 percent from the line ... and is hearing from Rutgers, Illinois, Xavier and Minnesota."

So those two guys sound fine to me. Maybe they're not Kentucky caliber recruits but SJ doesn't get too many Kentucky caliber recruits. I would not expect them to make an immediate impact. I would hope they'd develop into useful players.  Because outside of a couple of years that is how SJ has been successful: by developing underclassmen so that they can compete as upperclassmen.

I take the complete opposite view on recruiting. I view it as the lifeblood of college sports. Considering the last two coaches we've had haven't been xs and os wizards,  I think it makes having top notch kids coming in even more important.

I didn't say I didn't think recruiting was important. Recruiting is very important. I said I found it boring. Watching grainy you tube videos of dopey teenagers in ratty gyms and comparing their stars to other stars and parsing their instamyspace accounts and trying to figure out what they're thinking. I could not be less interested in what teen agers think, especially teen agers who've been babied their entire lives based upon on their ability to dribble a basketball. All but two or three or four of them end up going somewhere else anyway. It all seems like a grand waste of time to me. As usual, YMMV.

Seems like the main thing you and I disagree on is lavins time at sju. If you aren't interested in recruiting then I 100% understand why you weren't a lavin guy.

I was a Lavin guy until I wasn't and it had nothing to do with recruiting, although after year 1.5 he was an awful lazy recruiter. I disliked Lavin because he was a bad coach and a shameless self promoter and an abominable human being and I'm pretty sure a high functioning hysteric. I am sorry he was hired and happy he is gone and Mullin could lose every game between now and when his contract expires and it wouldn't change my opinion. 

QuanMan

« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »

Alan Griffin...

When did this happen?
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2018, 11:11:52 AM »

Alan Griffin...

When did this happen?

Evidently it is true.

« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »

Alan Griffin...

When did this happen?

Evidently it is true.
Well if he isn't interested in us why do we continue to go out and watch his games, is the staff just into self flagellation?  ::)

Marillac

« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2018, 11:31:33 AM »
This kid is not on the same skill level as all the other 6'5 names being thrown around. Not close. He's flat footed, barely 6'5 and can't jump. He's a bruiser, plain and simple. As long as we have enough available schollies to get another big and another PG then I'm ok with this signing.
Flat footed? WTF does that mean? He runs a 4.8 40 at 250 lbs and has to have an explosion to play DE at the level he is being recruited. Antonio Gates was 6'4 and a below the rim player who averaged 20 points and led Kent State to the Final Four. These types of kids are very difficult to project because a kid with a mean streak can absolutely dominate basketball players who don't have 1/100th of the physicality of a high d-1 defensive end.

I'm not sure this is the kind of staff to get the most of a player like that with their current do-what-you-want-system, but a kid with his size could be very good in college with the right mindset.

« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2018, 11:55:43 AM »

Okay well I wasn't conversant with fordham's response to sjuhoopnet's response to moose's response to sjuhoopnut's reponse to fordham's response to sjuhoopnut about a hypothetical situation when I read your post. My post was in response to what you wrote.

What I notice is that the people who are upset about being involved with players like Earlington and Griffin are people who are upset with Mullin in general. People who think that the previous coach should not have been fired, that Mullin should not have been hired, and that now he should be fired. I'm not upset with Mullin in general and am anyway a thorough going skeptic and contrarian who likes to argue. So I present the opposite view point, and especially because I don't recall these same posters saying why is Lavin recruiting Marco Bourgault and Max Hooper and Amir Alibagofgarbage and Felix Balamou and Keith Thomas.

Regarding these two players in particular, from what little I've read one is an all state basketball player and the other a three star recruit, of good size, the son of an NBA player who "averaged 18.5 points, 9.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 2.5 steals while shooting 48 percent from the field, 48 percent from beyond the arc and 79 percent from the line ... and is hearing from Rutgers, Illinois, Xavier and Minnesota."

So those two guys sound fine to me. Maybe they're not Kentucky caliber recruits but SJ doesn't get too many Kentucky caliber recruits. I would not expect them to make an immediate impact. I would hope they'd develop into useful players.  Because outside of a couple of years that is how SJ has been successful: by developing underclassmen so that they can compete as upperclassmen.

I take the complete opposite view on recruiting. I view it as the lifeblood of college sports. Considering the last two coaches we've had haven't been xs and os wizards,  I think it makes having top notch kids coming in even more important.

I didn't say I didn't think recruiting was important. Recruiting is very important. I said I found it boring. Watching grainy you tube videos of dopey teenagers in ratty gyms and comparing their stars to other stars and parsing their instamyspace accounts and trying to figure out what they're thinking. I could not be less interested in what teen agers think, especially teen agers who've been babied their entire lives based upon on their ability to dribble a basketball. All but two or three or four of them end up going somewhere else anyway. It all seems like a grand waste of time to me. As usual, YMMV.

Seems like the main thing you and I disagree on is lavins time at sju. If you aren't interested in recruiting then I 100% understand why you weren't a lavin guy.

I was a Lavin guy until I wasn't and it had nothing to do with recruiting, although after year 1.5 he was an awful lazy recruiter. I disliked Lavin because he was a bad coach and a shameless self promoter and an abominable human being and I'm pretty sure a high functioning hysteric. I am sorry he was hired and happy he is gone and Mullin could lose every game between now and when his contract expires and it wouldn't change my opinion. 

Maybe you should be conversant about the context of a comment before throwing out one of your typical flippant responses.

Besides doing my own research by looking at some of those grainy YouTube videos (the little bit of Earlington tape available is absolutely atrocious), I rely mostly on 247 for my recruiting information as they have their own rankings but also include a composite of all the other rankings. Marcellus Earlington does not have a 247 basketball recruiting page and Alan Griffin is not ranked at all by them,  neither of which I have ever seen in my time of religiously following our recruits on 247. Another good barometer is to look at who's offered a player,  not who he's "hearing from" as you want to throw out. Griffin holds offers from fordham, marist, umass, st Bonaventure and Illinois. All besides the Illinois are programs we shouldn't be in the same sentence with.

I would certainly classify myself as one of those people upset we are recruiting these kids,  who believes lavin should never have been fired, who believes Mullin should have never been hired, etc etc.  All I care about is the school where I spent 7 years of my life having a winning basketball program.  I feel lavin had us trending in the right direction for the first time in decades. I'm scared that this experiment will make the program take a big step back and I will always voice my opinions when I see things that are pointing towards the program going in the wrong direction.

Unless you somehow have inside knowledge that lavin was cheating, your claim that you wouldn't care if Mullin lost every game for the next two years as long as SL isn't coach is irrational and makes you a bad fan.

« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »

Alan Griffin...

When did this happen?

Evidently it is true.
Well if he isn't interested in us why do we continue to go out and watch his games, is the staff just into self flagellation?  ::)

Other way around...

Johnny23

« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2018, 12:07:16 PM »
This kid is not on the same skill level as all the other 6'5 names being thrown around. Not close. He's flat footed, barely 6'5 and can't jump. He's a bruiser, plain and simple. As long as we have enough available schollies to get another big and another PG then I'm ok with this signing.
Flat footed? WTF does that mean? He runs a 4.8 40 at 250 lbs and has to have an explosion to play DE at the level he is being recruited. Antonio Gates was 6'4 and a below the rim player who averaged 20 points and led Kent State to the Final Four. These types of kids are very difficult to project because a kid with a mean streak can absolutely dominate basketball players who don't have 1/100th of the physicality of a high d-1 defensive end.

I'm not sure this is the kind of staff to get the most of a player like that with their current do-what-you-want-system, but a kid with his size could be very good in college with the right mindset.

First off, Kent St never went to a Final 4. Secondly you're making it sound like any highly rated D end can just come into college hoops at the Power 5 level and thrive. That's not true just like any jumping jack 6'6 built small forward couldn't be an impact WR in major college ball for the same reasons. It just doesn't work like that. Is there a chance he can be serviceable down the line? Sure. But let's not make it out that a 6'4 1/2" DE (who is a 2 star bball prospect) is going to come in and contribute. He may never be more than a backup reserve which I think will be the case. I hope you're right that his brute strength and his DE experience helps him. But I've moved on from this recruit as we still have available schollies and need to focus on filling those with capable prospects.