Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies
Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #280 on: March 19, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
I have heard that Ron Harper Jr. is a much better player than some of you guys are giving him credit for.

Well since we are not giving him any credit how much better can that be????  LOL!

He won't be starting at Rutgers in year 1 which means he probably would not even have been recruited by the better Big 10 programs in the first place.  You want to argue he is better than his ranking, fine.  But I don't really care. 

« Reply #281 on: March 19, 2018, 01:06:01 PM »
Ellington may help but he may need a few years to develop.  This team needs help now.

That's what I've said before....  Earlington may be of help his junior season (or, maybe by his sophomore year), but we need immediate help.

Some are a bit too cavalier for a team who finished next to last.

« Reply #282 on: March 19, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »
Here is the bottom line the recruiting at SJU under Coach Mullin has been mediocre.  I have stated this many times, again there is no one with a straight face who  thought 3 years ago SJU would be coming off of their 2nd last place showing in 3 years, 3 straight losing seasons, trying to sell an unranked former football player to this a board as a solid glue guy in place of the numerous 2018 recruits that we thought SJU would be able to land with the new staff but totally whiffed on.  NO ONE.  You would have been laughed off of this board. 

Having said that it is not over.  I have no issue with taking a flyer on Earlington but he can't be the answer for their frontcourt depth needs for next year at least.  But there is going to be opportunities that I believe this staff hopes to capitalize on.  Meaning highly ranked de-commits, transfers and grad transfers.  I am willing to let this play out thru the spring.  I actually do have a good feeling they will land some key parts.  I haven't given up hope yet.  I am an optimist.  But again I laugh at people who sell things that they know damn well 3 years ago they would have laughed at themselves if they ever thought they would be doing that.

Johnny23

« Reply #283 on: March 19, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
Harper Jr. would be considered a 4 year reserve for any BE program not named SJU or DePaul. He's had a great senior year so good for him. Earlington is not nearly the bball player Harper is so anyone with a clue can figure out what level he should be playing at.

As others have said, this kid isn't what this team needs to make the tourney next year. Maybe 3 years down the line he's a serviceable reserve but to expect more than that from a player of his caliber is wishful thinking at best.

« Reply #284 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
I have heard that Ron Harper Jr. is a much better player than some of you guys are giving him credit for.
According to rivals. 3 star. Nebraska and a bunch of cupcakes offered.
He's been committed for quite sometime which most likely limited his offers. Colin Sexton one and done projected top 10 pick this year verballed to Alabama his junior year than blew up as senior but stuck with his verbal and signed with them.

« Reply #285 on: March 19, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
He's been committed for quite sometime which most likely limited his offers. Colin Sexton one and done projected top 10 pick this year verballed to Alabama his junior year than blew up as senior but stuck with his verbal and signed with them.

Understood but that doesn't limit his overall ranking which is very low (in fact he is unranked by most recruiting sites).  His ranking has nothing to do with who has offered.

Look my point is regardless of what you think of Harper he is not what SJU is missing to make that leap next year.  That is what SJU needs to focus on.

« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »

Understood but that doesn't limit his overall ranking which is very low (in fact he is unranked by most recruiting sites).  His ranking has nothing to do with who has offered.

Look my point is regardless of what you think of Harper he is not what SJU is missing to make that leap next year.  That is what SJU needs to focus on.
Just to be clear I never related Harper to St. John's. Just stated that I have heard he is a pretty good prospect by someone involved in the business.

« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2018, 09:44:57 PM »

Just to be clear I never related Harper to St. John's. Just stated that I have heard he is a pretty good prospect by someone involved in the business.

Understood I was explaining even for a SJU squad looking for more talent Ron Harper Jr, even if he is a bit better than his ranking, is not the answer.  They need difference makers and he is not one of them even if he is a bit better than people think.

MCNPA

« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2018, 10:24:27 PM »

Understood I was explaining even for a SJU squad looking for more talent Ron Harper Jr, even if he is a bit better than his ranking, is not the answer.  They need difference makers and he is not one of them even if he is a bit better than people think.

Which is the frustrating part about Earlington as well.  We need difference-makers...  No knock on the kid, but it’s just nowhere near what we need. 

« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2018, 10:35:04 PM »

Which is the frustrating part about Earlington as well.  We need difference-makers...  No knock on the kid, but it’s just nowhere near what we need. 

Don't give up yet. 

Marillac

« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »

Ron Harper Jr. is clearly a top 100 player regardless of where the rankings put him. Bosco isn't exactly a basketball hot bed. He's a tremendously skilled kid, he's just going to have to find away to separate from defender's at the next level.

Marillac

« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »

We have difference makers for the next year or two. We need some junkyard dogs. We need a PG that is going to guard the ball chin to chin like Fatts Russell and then setup the offense on the other end 15-20 mpg. We need a few kids to set screens that endanger opposing guards, fight for position, box out like someone just smacked their mother, and crash the offensive glass.

We'll have the best one-on-one player in the country the next year or two. All we need are guys to complement him like we did with Hatten.

« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2018, 11:34:35 PM »
Agree with Marillac's prior post. We definitely need to toughen up on the boards. I hate a weak rebounding team.

« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2018, 11:40:11 PM »
Agree with Marillac's prior post. We definitely need to toughen up on the boards. I hate a weak rebounding team.
absolutely. To be bottom or damn well near bottom of the league in rebounds is ridiculous. I think it was Marillac that put up a stat that we were in the 200's in the entire NCAA. That's pathetic

Also ok we were missing Lovett but where were we as far as assists ? So much standing around this year our assist numbers had to be pathetic also I'd think

Poison

« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2018, 12:05:28 AM »
Earlington a total non-factor... this is what we are recruiting?  I’m all for heart like the movie Rudy, but a 6’3 PF who is a non factor vs Naz Reid is a bit disconcerting as we need a lot more.  Getting more and more annoyed with what we are having to deal with here.. We need real talent and we aren’t landing it.
Earlington is the kind of player we always recruited to do the dirty work for the first round draft picks we had virtually every year.  I think he'll be a fine player...although I admit I never saw him play.

I don't understand the mantra that Mullin/Richmond and company are fun to play for.  Why are so many players leaving?  That's what's pushing me off the Mullin bandwagon.  Kentucky/Duke etc have one and done's leaving for the NBA.  We have players leaving for the "Morby Techs" of the world.  Forget the mediocre at best recruiting.  We can't even keep the three star players we have.  Until Mullin figures out a way to stop the bleeding, we'll be writing how Earlington jumped ship to play at Ramapo College because he wanted to be "closer to home".

Right now, we are at rock bottom.  We're even worse than the Norm years.  Sad.

This year did not go as planned. But worse than norm years no way! We had an exciting team this year. We went 0-11 to start BE play which is unbelievable. A few of those games we were thoroughly out played, a few of them we were clearly the worse team and a few of them we got some really bad breaks. We win 2 of those and we’re an nit team who’s bringing back next years BE POY. Retain ponds and this is nowhere near rock bottom IMO. 

Before the 06-07 season was even underway the program lost Doug Wiggins to Uconn, Derwin Kitchen to academics and Rob Thomas to the worst ACL injury I’ve ever read about. How would a starting 5 of the following panned out that season?

Kitchen - PG
Wiggins - SG
Thomas - SF
Calhoun - PF
Hamilton - C

With a bench of Hill, Geno, Mason, Spears and Jasuloines.

I’d expect that team to have made the NIT. Norm wasn’t just an awful coach. He was unlucky, too.
I find it telling that Mullin’s team in his 3rd season is eerily familiar to Norm’s in his 3rd season. This season started with a lot of promise. Then, after the team lost LoVett and Ponds was injured and playing through pain, it collapsed.

There was absolutely hope, but it was short lived. There needs to be more than just Shamorie. I’m willing to bet anybody that the program isn’t getting more than two more seasons out of him. That means that we need other players who can play. We can’t count on one guy to be the entire team.

« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2018, 12:11:35 AM »
Earlington a total non-factor... this is what we are recruiting?  I’m all for heart like the movie Rudy, but a 6’3 PF who is a non factor vs Naz Reid is a bit disconcerting as we need a lot more.  Getting more and more annoyed with what we are having to deal with here.. We need real talent and we aren’t landing it.
Earlington is the kind of player we always recruited to do the dirty work for the first round draft picks we had virtually every year.  I think he'll be a fine player...although I admit I never saw him play.

I don't understand the mantra that Mullin/Richmond and company are fun to play for.  Why are so many players leaving?  That's what's pushing me off the Mullin bandwagon.  Kentucky/Duke etc have one and done's leaving for the NBA.  We have players leaving for the "Morby Techs" of the world.  Forget the mediocre at best recruiting.  We can't even keep the three star players we have.  Until Mullin figures out a way to stop the bleeding, we'll be writing how Earlington jumped ship to play at Ramapo College because he wanted to be "closer to home".

This year did not go as planned. But worse than norm years no way! We had an exciting team this year. We went 0-11 to start BE play which is unbelievable. A few of those games we were thoroughly out played, a few of them we were clearly the worse team and a few of them we got some really bad breaks. We win 2 of those and we’re an nit team who’s bringing back next years BE POY. Retain ponds and this is nowhere near rock bottom IMO. 

Before the 06-07 season was even underway the program lost Doug Wiggins to Uconn, Derwin Kitchen to academics and Rob Thomas to the worst ACL injury I’ve ever read about. How would a starting 5 of the following panned out that season?

Kitchen - PG
Wiggins - SG
Thomas - SF
Calhoun - PF
Hamilton - C

I’d expect that team to have made the NIT. Norm wasn’t just an awful coach. He was unlucky, too.
I find it telling that Mullin’s team in his 3rd season is eerily familiar to Norm’s in his 3rd season. This season started with a lot of promise. Then, after the team lost LoVett and Ponds was injured and playing through pain, it collapsed.

There was absolutely hope, but it was short lived. There needs to be more than just Shamorie. I’m willing to bet anybody that the program isn’t getting more than two more seasons out of him. That means that we need other players who can play. We can’t count on one guy to be the entire team.
after all this time I forgot about that year erased from my memory my 10+ years of bronx pale ales. That was the year Norm could have turned the tide. Oh man I remember the Rob Thomas injury though. That one was devastating.

And he was unlucky. Ultimately though winners either get lucky or create there own luck. You have a much better chance creating your own luck recruiting having multiple guys recruiting

BTW What did Kitchen do after SJU ? I completely forget

Marillac

« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2018, 12:15:51 AM »
absolutely. To be bottom or damn well near bottom of the league in rebounds is ridiculous. I think it was Marillac that put up a stat that we were in the 200's in the entire NCAA. That's pathetic

Also ok we were missing Lovett but where were we as far as assists ? So much standing around this year our assist numbers had to be pathetic also I'd think

6'11 Owens, 6'5 Simon with a 7'3 wingspan, 6'7 Ahmed, 6'9 Alibegovic, and 6'7 235 Marvin Clark ranked #272 out of 351 teams for offensive rebounding and #220 for total rebounding.

6'6 (lets give him the two inches) Anthony Glover, 6'6 Eric King, 6'9 Kyle Cuffe, and 6'7 Grady Reynolds led the entire country in offensive rebounds. Kansas was #2 with 11 less and played four more games.

Let that sink in. Kyle Cuffe played 26 minutes and averaged 2.6 offensive boards with 2.9 defensive boards. Grady Reynolds played 19 minutes and averaged 2.4 offensive rebounds with 2.6 defensive. Justin Simon has more defensive rebounds than those two combined at 5.9 but only 1.2 offensive boards per game in 36 minutes. Marvin Clark had 3.5 defensive board per game and just 1.2 offensive in 31 minutes. Owens had 4.3 defensive and just 1.6 offensive in 30 minutes. Even Bash, who has it in his nature to be relentless on the glass only averaged  1.6.

This needs immediate attention. There is no reason why a kid killing down 6 defensive boards as a freaking guard can't pull down 3.5-4.0 offensive boards. There is no reason why Clark can't match Cuffe with more minutes played.

« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2018, 12:16:20 AM »
BTW What did Kitchen do after SJU ? I completely forget

Ended up at Florida State (after a one year JUCO stint).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:18:22 AM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #298 on: March 20, 2018, 12:31:11 AM »

Kitchen - PG
Wiggins - SG
Thomas - SF
Calhoun - PF
Hamilton - C

That team would have turned out horribly like every other Norm team. What makes you think Norm is the  kind of coach that can win with freshman and sophs? Thomas was a very good player at one point but he ate himself out of basketball shape and that was more of a detriment than his knee injury.

The year before:   Jermaine Maybank did nothing for us and then played 14 mpg for a 26 win Kansas State team. Aaron Spears was 4th year junior and top 100 receuit that played for a very good Illinois tournament team for two seasons. Cedric Jackson was a soph who played in the MBA and led Cleveland State to an awesome tournament win and Norm didn't value him (like Brownlee and Hardy). Lamont Hamilton was a Jr and all-conference the following year. Mason Jr. was a freshman and a top 75 recruit. Dexter Gray, Ryan Williams, and Geno Lawrence were all solid and sophs or older and Showtime played 16 games. Norm was 12-15 and 5-11 in conference.

Let's never forget how awful he was.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:34:06 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #299 on: March 20, 2018, 12:31:29 AM »

6'11 Owens, 6'5 Simon with a 7'3 wingspan, 6'7 Ahmed, 6'9 Alibegovic, and 6'7 235 Marvin Clark ranked #272 out of 351 teams for offensive rebounding and #220 for total rebounding.

6'6 (lets give him the two inches) Anthony Glover, 6'6 Eric King, 6'9 Kyle Cuffe, and 6'7 Grady Reynolds led the entire country in offensive rebounds. Kansas was #2 with 11 less and played four more games.

Let that sink in. Kyle Cuffe played 26 minutes and averaged 2.6 offensive boards with 2.9 defensive boards. Grady Reynolds played 19 minutes and averaged 2.4 offensive rebounds with 2.6 defensive. Justin Simon has more defensive rebounds than those two combined at 5.9 but only 1.2 offensive boards per game in 36 minutes. Marvin Clark had 3.5 defensive board per game and just 1.2 offensive in 31 minutes. Owens had 4.3 defensive and just 1.6 offensive in 30 minutes. Even Bash, who has it in his nature to be relentless on the glass only averaged  1.6.

This needs immediate attention. There is no reason why a kid killing down 6 defensive boards as a freaking guard can't pull down 3.5-4.0 offensive boards. There is no reason why Clark can't match Cuffe with more minutes played.
yep those were the stats you put up last week. If that doesn't blow someones mind I dont know what will. It's beyond pathetic and the coaching staff should get pay but for that

How do we rank in assists ? can you get that stat for us also ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:32:00 AM by mjmaherjr »