Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies

SJU79

Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
Situation I'm very familiar with. 
1) He will be here next year
2) Obviously as stated he is a unique player because of his size/weight ratio but the skill set is growing and he's just really committed himself to the game. I can't begin to project how he will preform
3) VERY IMPORTANT....they love his toughness. That translates even if he never sees the floor. He will bang in practice, compete in practice, hustle in practice and will make everyone look bad if they don't match his intensity. He will make everyone accountable from the first time he steps on to the practice floor.  Now he might turn into a really good player, he's a tough one for me to assess. But he's a culture changer
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:19:21 PM by SJU79 »

goredmen

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
2) Obviously as stated he is a unique player because of his size/weight ratio but the skill set is growing and he's just really committed himself to the game. I can't begin to project how he will preform
3) VERY IMPORTANT....they love his toughness. That translates even if he never sees the floor. He will bang in practice, compete in practice, hustle in practice and will make everyone look bad if they don't match his intensity. He will make everyone accountable from the first time he steps on to the practice floor.  Now he might turn into a really good player, he's a tough one for me to assess. But he's a culture changer

Really love number 3

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
sounds like a Matt Brust mindset -  I'll take it

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »
Our biggest competition for him is NJIT, and New Hampshire...... I'd wait and see who we can get as a transfer or a decommit (could be a lot coming with this scandal) before signing this kid. We must be pretty desperate though.

paultzman

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2018, 01:44:19 PM »
+1

paultzman

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
Our biggest competition for him is NJIT, and New Hampshire...... I'd wait and see who we can get as a transfer or a decommit (could be a lot coming with this scandal) before signing this kid. We must be pretty desperate though.

Davidson aggressively after him

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:16 PM »
Wrong on that one with the competition.

I know for a fact A10 schools are trying to get him on campus ASAP.

Few high majors sniffing around as well.

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2018, 01:53:44 PM »
Grew up watching Loscutoff clearing space for Russell and watched Dejuan Blair thrive at Pitt.  Why can't we have one too?

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »
My Friend knows a Don Bosco Football Coach and said its a shame he didn't have the determination for football as he did basketball. Said he could have played Big Ten or SEC....said he was being recruited all year for football that is why basketball schools stayed away and he is a late bloomer......with that he said the kid has dedicated his life now to basketball and obviously will not shy away from contact. Said he will be a very good on the boards and will be able to bully the skinner 3's and 4's........I know this is big drop from Brooks or the pipedream of Jordan Brown but i think we take a flyer like paultz said for a local who wants to stay home and if does not work out he or we will move on........Maybe he can be Christian Jones except look and play like Tarzan.

paultzman

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »
Per Zach B
St. John's coach Chris Mullin and assistant Matt Abdelmassih going to see target Marcellus Earlington of Don Bosco Prep tonight. #sjubb

Looks like they close on this quickly

wpc77

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »

Davidson aggressively after him

Sidebar - In a dreamworld, mckillop would retire after this season (he will be 68 soon) and become Mullins Yoda starting next fall, with most of the rest of the staff leaving the program
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:23:43 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2018, 04:34:47 PM »
Watched most of the available video on this kid: doesn't run much, can't jump, shoots a push "jump" shot where he barely gets off the ground.  Seems to get by by bullying his smaller, slighter competition. He might be 6'4.  He is a load, but is this a BE power forward? (There's as much football video as ball video available.)

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
Watched most of the available video on this kid: doesn't run much, can't jump, shoots a push "jump" shot where he barely gets off the ground.  Seems to get by by bullying his smaller, slighter competition. He might be 6'4.  He is a load, but is this a BE power forward? (There's as much football video as ball video available.)

Did you find more than two 50 second clips?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »
There's an entire game on RumbleintheGarden.

Moose

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »
Craig Smith was a nobody coming out of high school
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »
There's an entire game on RumbleintheGarden.

Thanks
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
We need real size like Jeffrey Otchere, the 6-foot-11 JUCO center from Garden City (KS) Community College mentioned in another post.  He is a true center who would be able to defend any of the Big East centers. He is from the Bronx so why are we not all over this guy.  I am so tired of being pushed around not having a true center to fight in the paint.  This guy Earlington looks like a dedicated kid and a real fighter, but 6-4 or 6-5 power forwards are not what we need. 

Foad

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »

I've watched several you tube videos of Smith and  I don't think he has what it takes to be a player in the Big East.

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/bcarrnjsports1/status/967187909265776640

Mullin at this game with former NBA player Ron Harper whose son Ron Harper Jr also plays for Don Bosco and is headed to Rutgers.

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2018, 09:53:54 PM »

I've watched several you tube videos of Smith and  I don't think he has what it takes to be a player in the Big East.
Agree