Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies

goredmen

Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »

Griffin holds offers from fordham, marist, umass, st Bonaventure and Illinois. All besides the Illinois are programs we shouldn't be in the same sentence with.

St. Bonaventure is going to get an at large bid this year exclusively with players you wouldn't have wanted us to go after because of their low rankings. Jaylen Adams, one of the best PGs in all of college basketball was unranked by 247 and didn't even have a real recruiting page on that site. Their 2nd best player Matt Mobley was so low rated he committed to Central Connecticut before transferring to St. Bonaventure.

« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2018, 12:12:48 PM »
Everyone clammoring for an impact big am I the only one who thinks a guard is more important

Alan Griffin...

Would love that but didn't I read the interest wasn't mutual

When did this happen?

Evidently it is true.
Well if he isn't interested in us why do we continue to go out and watch his games, is the staff just into self flagellation?  ::)

Other way around...
From what I recall of the poster or two that commented that there was not mutual interest intimated that it was the player that wasn't interested in us. Maybe Moose or the other poster would care to clarify or do you know it to be us not interested?

« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »

Griffin holds offers from fordham, marist, umass, st Bonaventure and Illinois. All besides the Illinois are programs we shouldn't be in the same sentence with.

St. Bonaventure is going to get an at large bid this year exclusively with players you wouldn't have wanted us to go after because of their low rankings. Jaylen Adams, one of the best PGs in all of college basketball was unranked by 247 and didn't even have a real recruiting page on that site. Their 2nd best player Matt Mobley was so low rated he committed to Central Connecticut before transferring to St. Bonaventure.
So because the Bonnies made the tournament this year and we didn't they're a better program then us?  Why haven't they been invited to play in the acc?

Please tell me more about these interesting stories of players who are successful despite not being looked at by the recruiting services.  I once heard a story of a guy struck by lightening after winning the lottery.  I'd venture to guess massively successful college ballers who were unranked make up <3% of all recruits. When projecting success at the next level id prefer to use the opinion of the experts.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:25:44 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

goredmen

« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2018, 12:36:58 PM »

So because the Bonnies made the tournament this year and we didn't they're a better program then us?  Why haven't they been invited to play in the acc?

Please tell me more about these interesting stories of players who are successful despite not being looked at by the recruiting services.  I once heard a story of a guy struck by lightening after winning the lottery.  I'd venture to guess massively successful college ballers who were unranked make up <3% of all recruits. When projecting success at the next level id prefer to use the opinion of the experts.

So you are saying that in general, ranked players are better than unranked players? Wow, way to go out on a limb there. Weird though how you are going crazy over the staff going after one unranked kid while St. Bonaventure is better than us this year with their best 8 players essentially being unranked kids out of HS.

I don't think anybody wants this program to just go after and get unranked players, that would be silly and it seems like that's what you think is happening here. But, with 13 scholarships and a program that hasn't been relevant for the past 2 decades, we aren't going to have a roster of 13 4 star players. Sometimes you have to find a guy that is not highly sought after and hope he turns into something.

Had St. John's gone after Jaylen Adams 4 years ago you would have whined and complained about us being too good to go after a kid not on 247 with no other bigtime offers. But if we had him this year he'd be our best player and we'd be a 6 seed instead of on the fringe of the NIT

« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »

So you are saying that in general, ranked players are better than unranked players? Wow, way to go out on a limb there. Weird though how you are going crazy over the staff going after one unranked kid while St. Bonaventure is better than us this year with their best 8 players essentially being unranked kids out of HS.

I don't think anybody wants this program to just go after and get unranked players, that would be silly and it seems like that's what you think is happening here. But, with 13 scholarships and a program that hasn't been relevant for the past 2 decades, we aren't going to have a roster of 13 4 star players. Sometimes you have to find a guy that is not highly sought after and hope he turns into something.

Had St. John's gone after Jaylen Adams 4 years ago you would have whined and complained about us being too good to go after a kid not on 247 with no other bigtime offers. But if we had him this year he'd be our best player and we'd be a 6 seed instead of on the fringe of the NIT
I'm actually "going crazy" over them going after two unranked kids, hence the Griffin conversation in the Earlington thread.

This wouldn't be an issue if we were talking about using scholarships for the 13th and 14th guys on the bench but the entire point of my stance is that if you're talking about potentially losing ponds and Owens along with losing Ahmed off of a team that already stinks and you're replacing them with unheralded guys who will not be major contributors year one like Williams, Roberts, Dixon, Griffin and Earlington in a year when Mullin really should be canned if we finish 9th or 10th then thats not a good strategy for success.

And yes,  I absolutely would've been going crazy about Jaylen Adams for 3 years just like I did for the first 3 years of Phil Greene's career.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:19:13 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

Foad

« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
Maybe you should be conversant about the context of a comment before throwing out one of your typical flippant responses.

Maybe you should include enough context and content in your writing so that the reader doesn't need to do research to understand it. Because if I have to do research every time someone says LOL, that's a lot of research.

Besides doing my own research by looking at some of those grainy YouTube videos (the little bit of Earlington tape available is absolutely atrocious), I rely mostly on 247 for my recruiting information as they have their own rankings but also include a composite of all the other rankings. Marcellus Earlington does not have a 247 basketball recruiting page and Alan Griffin is not ranked at all by them,  neither of which I have ever seen in my time of religiously following our recruits on 247. Another good barometer is to look at who's offered a player,  not who he's "hearing from" as you want to throw out. Griffin holds offers from fordham, marist, umass, st Bonaventure and Illinois. All besides the Illinois are programs we shouldn't be in the same sentence with.

Knock yourself out. As I said, I don't find the recruiting process interesting.

I would certainly classify myself as one of those people upset we are recruiting these kids,  who believes lavin should never have been fired, who believes Mullin should have never been hired, etc etc.  All I care about is the school where I spent 7 years of my life having a winning basketball program.  I feel lavin had us trending in the right direction for the first time in decades. I'm scared that this experiment will make the program take a big step back and I will always voice my opinions when I see things that are pointing towards the program going in the wrong direction.

Who's stopping you from expressing your opinion? I merely disagreed with it. Which seems to have upset you.

Unless you somehow have inside knowledge that lavin was cheating, your claim that you wouldn't care if Mullin lost every game for the next two years as long as SL isn't coach is irrational and makes you a bad fan.

I'm quite sure Lavin was cheating, unless the surreptitious hand off of forged transcripts in darkened parking lots is legal under NCAA rules. That has nothing to do with my dislike for him. And if I'm a bad fan I've been a bad fan longer than you've been alive. Maybe I've been a fan so long I've had the good fan beaten out of me and this is what's left. Or maybe we have different understandings of what fandom comprises and of what amateur sports should be and what its relationship should be to the university system and to civic life. All you care about is having a winning basketball program. If all I cared about was winning I'd root for dook and the yankees and the lakers. Unfortunately I ended up with St John's and the Detroit Lions. So I need other things to keep me engaged.

goredmen

« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2018, 01:20:54 PM »

I'm actually "going crazy" over them going after two unranked kids, hence the Griffin conversation in the Earlington thread.

This wouldn't be an issue if we were talking about using scholarships for the 13th and 14th guys on the bench but the entire point of my stance is that if you're talking about potentially losing ponds and Owens along with losing Ahmed off of a team that already stinks and you're replacing them with unheralded guys who will not be major contributors year one like Williams, Roberts, Dixon, Griffin and Earlington in a year when Mullin really should be canned if we finish 9th or 10th then thats not a good strategy for success.

So this whole thing is based on the completely remote possibility of losing Ponds and Owens? That's silly.

Dixon will contribute next year, might even start. I'd expect Williams to play a little also. Earlington and Griffin aren't even committed yet. Sounds doubtful Griffin will even be here. Doubt the staff would take both of them and sounds like they won't.

« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2018, 01:22:23 PM »
Maybe you should be conversant about the context of a comment before throwing out one of your typical flippant responses.

Maybe you should include enough context and content in your writing so that the reader doesn't need to do research to understand it. Because if I have to do research every time someone says LOL, that's a lot of research.

Besides doing my own research by looking at some of those grainy YouTube videos (the little bit of Earlington tape available is absolutely atrocious), I rely mostly on 247 for my recruiting information as they have their own rankings but also include a composite of all the other rankings. Marcellus Earlington does not have a 247 basketball recruiting page and Alan Griffin is not ranked at all by them,  neither of which I have ever seen in my time of religiously following our recruits on 247. Another good barometer is to look at who's offered a player,  not who he's "hearing from" as you want to throw out. Griffin holds offers from fordham, marist, umass, st Bonaventure and Illinois. All besides the Illinois are programs we shouldn't be in the same sentence with.

I would certainly classify myself as one of those people upset we are recruiting these kids,  who believes lavin should never have been fired, who believes Mullin should have never been hired, etc etc.  All I care about is the school where I spent 7 years of my life having a winning basketball program.  I feel lavin had us trending in the right direction for the first time in decades. I'm scared that this experiment will make the program take a big step back and I will always voice my opinions when I see things that are pointing towards the program going in the wrong direction.

Who's stopping you from expressing your opinion? I merely disagreed with it. Which seems to have upset you.

Unless you somehow have inside knowledge that lavin was cheating, your claim that you wouldn't care if Mullin lost every game for the next two years as long as SL isn't coach is irrational and makes you a bad fan.

I'm quite sure Lavin was cheating, unless the surreptitious hand off of forged transcripts in darkened parking lots is legal under NCAA rules. That has nothing to do with my dislike for him. And if I'm a bad fan I've been a bad fan longer than you've been alive. Maybe I've been a fan so long I've had the good fan beaten out of me and this is what's left. Or maybe we have different understandings of what fandom comprises and of what amateur sports should be and what its relationship should be to the university system and to civic life. All you care about is having a winning basketball program. If all I cared about was winning I'd root for dook and the yankees and the lakers. Unfortunately I ended up with St John's and the Detroit Lions. So I need other things to keep me engaged.
Fandom is not comprised of rooting for your team to lose. You said you'd rather have Mullin here losing every single game then have lavin here winning.  That's silly.

goredmen

« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2018, 01:23:14 PM »

And yes,  I absolutely would've been going crazy about Jaylen Adams for 3 years just like I did for the first 3 years of Phil Greene's career.

Yeah, the guy has been a bigtime contributor for them since day 1 and has been 1st team all A10 the last 2 years but we don't need that.

Foad

« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »

Fandom is not comprised of rooting for your team to lose. You said you'd rather have Mullin here losing every single game then have lavin here winning.  That's silly.

I'm not silly, you're silly. LOL.

« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2018, 01:37:40 PM »

Yeah, the guy has been a bigtime contributor for them since day 1 and has been 1st team all A10 the last 2 years but we don't need that.
Tip of the cap to you sir. You know more about St.  Bonaventure basketball then I do. Hopefully Earlington and Griffin are two diamond in the rough <3% unranked major contributors for high major programs and not bums like the majority of kids who are not ranked.

Moral of the story is I don't want Earlington,  I don't want Griffin,  I do want Jordan Brown,  if Mullin finishes 9th or worst in the be next year i think he should be fired.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2018, 02:03:45 PM »

Tip of the cap to you sir. You know more about St.  Bonaventure basketball then I do. Hopefully Earlington and Griffin are two diamond in the rough <3% unranked major contributors for high major programs and not bums like the majority of kids who are not ranked.

Moral of the story is I don't want Earlington,  I don't want Griffin,  I do want Jordan Brown,  if Mullin finishes 9th or worst in the be next year i think he should be fired.

9th or worse? That is very lenient. If he's not in the tournament next year he should be fired. Especially if he strikes out on the recruiting trail again and is recruiting lacrosse players to fill in in the front court.....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:06:22 PM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »
You would have to be foolish to not want Alan Griffin on this squad. He is a winner and has the pedigree. Log off the Internet and go to a gym.

Marillac

« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2018, 03:52:07 PM »
This kid is not on the same skill level as all the other 6'5 names being thrown around. Not close. He's flat footed, barely 6'5 and can't jump. He's a bruiser, plain and simple. As long as we have enough available schollies to get another big and another PG then I'm ok with this signing.
Flat footed? WTF does that mean? He runs a 4.8 40 at 250 lbs and has to have an explosion to play DE at the level he is being recruited. Antonio Gates was 6'4 and a below the rim player who averaged 20 points and led Kent State to the Final Four. These types of kids are very difficult to project because a kid with a mean streak can absolutely dominate basketball players who don't have 1/100th of the physicality of a high d-1 defensive end.

I'm not sure this is the kind of staff to get the most of a player like that with their current do-what-you-want-system, but a kid with his size could be very good in college with the right mindset.

First off, Kent St never went to a Final 4. Secondly you're making it sound like any highly rated D end can just come into college hoops at the Power 5 level and thrive. That's not true just like any jumping jack 6'6 built small forward couldn't be an impact WR in major college ball for the same reasons. It just doesn't work like that. Is there a chance he can be serviceable down the line? Sure. But let's not make it out that a 6'4 1/2" DE (who is a 2 star bball prospect) is going to come in and contribute. He may never be more than a backup reserve which I think will be the case. I hope you're right that his brute strength and his DE experience helps him. But I've moved on from this recruit as we still have available schollies and need to focus on filling those with capable prospects.

Elite Eight so sorry I got him confused for Jai Lewis on George Mason, who was the leading scorer and did go to the final four.

How am I making it like any DE can just come in and dominate? I said evaluating these types of kids is extremely difficult. It's all about will and you can't measure that. This kid has the physical ability to absolutely destroy basketball players with the right mindset and role. Julius Peppers is listed at 6'6 and started games on some very good UNC teams while primarily playing football.

I don't see your problem with this kid's height. He's got the ability to take kids off the bounce and get his shoulder into them on power drives.  We made the tournament with 6'5 196 Dom Pointer playing center for huge stretches.

paultzman

« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2018, 04:09:50 PM »
Agree with Marillac. Btw, Davidson was working hard to get him on campus in next few weeks.  Davidson is not a BE program obviously, but is a successful program with an excellent coach known for developing kids.

Marillac

« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2018, 04:41:02 PM »
Another comp for you: Greedy Peterson from Providence. 6'5 240 and averaged 19.6 and 10.2 (4.5 offensive!) as a junior PF in the old Big East. He only played two seasons and was not a top 150 recruit.

TONYD3

« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2018, 04:45:14 PM »
Yes I did call him a black hole. Still he is not being replaced. And is currently the 5th best player on the team.

Based upon my understanding of physics if they find a cancer to replace the black hole that would would that be an improvement. So I'm hoping BA is replaced by a benign tumor.

Yakwe should be more productive then he has been. DNP coaches decision makes sense if the coach was competent. He is the 6th best player on the team, would be a senior, former freshman all conference player, and 4 star recruit.

I agree. Very disappointed in Yakwe's play and the way he's been used.

Has Lovett been replaced?

I assume Dixon is his replacement. Anyway he just quit a month ago. Unlike you I don't think Mullin's a magician.

Foady - with information that you currently have how do you think next year will go? I don't expect you to answer that. 10th, 9th and 10th.

Hopefully it goes well. They were NIT slash bubble bound when Lovett quit. Just about what I expected. Next year if everyone comes back and they add a big I'd expect a bid.

This experiment needs to end

The great thing about you is your malleability. When they win in the pre season the players stink, Ahmed's a black hole, Yawke's terrible and so on. Then when the team lose in the regular season the staff stinks and the players are talented. Then when they win a couple you think the staff is good and then when they lose they you think they stink again and when they try and replace the players who stink the players who are coming might stink more. It's almost like you like to complain. I suggest you eat more fiber.

Ahmed- Did he live up to potential? I don't think so. Was he at times a black hole on offense? I believe so and he deserves blame. Sean Evans played very foolish for 3 years, coaching change he played less foolish his senior year. I don't believe Ahmed would ever be considered a smart basketball player. But i do believe he would take better shots with a more disciplined coach.  I do believe he would have more of a clue on defense with a more experienced coach. Ahmed could and should have been better here. The current Ahmed will be missed from next years team.

Dixon- Maybe he is a diamond in the rough. But he isn't a PG. He isn't an elite athlete. I hope he is good. But He is not Marcus Lovett. Is he big enough or quick enough to guard anyone? Why don't we have a PG on the roster? (i consider ponds a 2)

NIT Bid next year- Would be fine with me, as long we were getting better players (Big IF). Then we maintained the same success I didn't love our previous coach. But I was satisfied with his results. 

Preseason- I thought we played one good game vs Nebraska. I thought we played poorly in the others. Any good team we played we lost to. With Lovett I thought we were a good team. NCAA good.

Staff- I think they improved greatly. Still think they are not close to big east quality. I don't believe they are toxic. They deserve the wins they earned. Chris mullin and staff beat duke and Syracuse twice. They also deserve the losses. Chris Mullin and staff has .200 percent winning percentage in conference.

Next Year- I believe we are playing in the 8/9 game. I think their is better chance we finish 10th instead of 7th. Unless multiple teams implode I don't see us getting a bye until Thursday night. Not good enough, even in year 4 of a complete rebuild.

Complaining- Tired of losing. I believe the losing stops when we make a change.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:51:31 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2018, 04:50:36 PM »
Another comp for you: Greedy Peterson from Providence. 6'5 240 and averaged 19.6 and 10.2 (4.5 offensive!) as a junior PF in the old Big East. He only played two seasons and was not a top 150 recruit.

That is not fair.  Jamine was a legit BE/Power 6 caliber player coming out of Boys and Girls and ND Prep.  Was never considered otherwise and SJU recruited him heavily.

Look you want to make the case that this kid is worth a flyer, fine.  But imho it is not unfair to say he is a bit of a reach at this level.  And it further puts the pressure on the guys already in the fold-Keita, Diakite etc who will need to make a big impact next year.  Because they need to turn a major corner next year.  And it further emphasizes that this staff whiffed on a ton of 2018 kids that we were told back in 2015 when he was hired that he would be able to land.   Although I will reserve final judgement until this class has been completed.  Because something tells me that with de-commits and transfers coming in the next few months SJU is not done even with this kid in the fold.

paultzman

« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
Fair point on Greedy Fordham. He also played a ton more basketball than Marcellus. Earlington is really late to devoting all his attention to hoops. I still feel he may develop into a good complementary player however.

« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2018, 05:11:06 PM »
How tall is Earlington?