Isaiah Stewart-C-La Lumiere School

• 21 replies

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Isaiah Stewart-C-La Lumiere School
« on: April 06, 2018, 01:32:07 PM »
Matt A just started following him on twitter. He's a 5 star center originally from Rochester, NY. He's an 86% Duke lean on the Crystal ball and being recruited by a ton of top programs. Anyone hear anything about this kid? Probably just another pipe dream, but thought I'd ask.

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Stewart-94244

Re: Isaiah Stewart-C-La Lumiere School
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »
City rocks guy. We never seem to connect with them. Him and Gurard are pretty close maybe they can try to recruit them together. Wishful thinking.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »
Seems odd & late considering how long other schools have been on him.

derk

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:35:54 PM »
Who's next to Rice

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
Who's next to Rice

D'Angelo Harrison.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
They just offed him, again odd not sure what the angle is here.  He is already deep into his recruitment with plenty of big time programs already consistently recruiting him.

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 05:43:49 PM »
They just offed him, again odd not sure what the angle is here.  He is already deep into his recruitment with plenty of big time programs already consistently recruiting him.

Optics. More of the same where the staff offers these kids who they have no shot at (ie Jordan Brown) but at least they can say that these highly rated kids were considering SJU. Futile exercise.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 06:44:16 PM »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »

Optics. More of the same where the staff offers these kids who they have no shot at (ie Jordan Brown) but at least they can say that these highly rated kids were considering SJU. Futile exercise.

I get that but Brown was slightly different since he showed some legit interest in SJU and even visited.  I get the optics, as I said they need to stay in with Lewis even if it is a bit of a longshot. Stewart on the other hand is completely out of the blue.  I mean if optics is all they are worried about call every top 25 kid in 2019 and 2020 and formerly offer them.

goredmen

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 07:57:41 PM »

I get that but Brown was slightly different since he showed some legit interest in SJU and even visited.  I get the optics, as I said they need to stay in with Lewis even if it is a bit of a longshot. Stewart on the other hand is completely out of the blue.  I mean if optics is all they are worried about call every top 25 kid in 2019 and 2020 and formerly offer them.

Think we are making too much of this offer everybody thing. Whether it’s  for optics or not doesn’t matter. You get an unlimited amount of “offers” to give out but everybody knows they mean nothing. Until you can actually sign on that dotted line an offer in recruiting is pretty much nothing.

As long as the staff isn’t devoting recruiting resources (which we don’t have a ton of with only one true recruiter) into guys that would never come here in a million years it doesn’t matter.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 08:03:51 PM »

Think we are making too much of this offer everybody thing. Whether it’s  for optics or not doesn’t matter. You get an unlimited amount of “offers” to give out but everybody knows they mean nothing. Until you can actually sign on that dotted line an offer in recruiting is pretty much nothing.

As long as the staff isn’t devoting recruiting resources (which we don’t have a ton of with only one true recruiter) into guys that would never come here in a million years it doesn’t matter.

I'll bite

Why offer just to offer if you're not going to follow up. Why offer if another kid could look at it as you're not so interested in them. I get not putting all your eggs in one basket but something to be said about handing out so freely this late in the game. But wait this is probably early for SJU. I take that part back

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 08:31:02 PM »

I'll bite

Why offer just to offer if you're not going to follow up. Why offer if another kid could look at it as you're not so interested in them. I get not putting all your eggs in one basket but something to be said about handing out so freely this late in the game. But wait this is probably early for SJU. I take that part back

Meh I guess but I don't think kids would really look at a school offering other players and take it as a slight to them. Like I don't think a realistic target like Gaffney really notices who else SJU is offering and is put off by it.

So to me throwing offers out to top end kids like this doesn't hurt. At worst it plants a seed in the kid's mind and at least he knows who we are. Because who knows, maybe he commits to a school and the coach leaves or gets fired next March/April and he opens up again looking to make a quick decision. Maybe things don't go as planned his Freshman year and he wants to transfer.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 09:22:15 PM »

I'll bite

Meh I guess but I don't think kids would really look at a school offering other players and take it as a slight to them. Like I don't think a realistic target like Gaffney really notices who else SJU is offering and is put off by it.

So to me throwing offers out to top end kids like this doesn't hurt. At worst it plants a seed in the kid's mind and at least he knows who we are. Because who knows, maybe he commits to a school and the coach leaves or gets fired next March/April and he opens up again looking to make a quick decision. Maybe things don't go as planned his Freshman year and he wants to transfer.

Can I ask you something is there anything this staff does that gives you any pause?

The reason I ask is even the slightest question, I wouldn't even say criticism, you immediately come back with a knee jerk reaction in the other direction.

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 09:44:34 PM »

I'll bite

Can I ask you something is there anything this staff does that gives you any pause?

The reason I ask is even the slightest question, I wouldn't even say criticism, you immediately come back with a knee jerk reaction in the other direction.

Yes, plenty. For the record I think the school made a HUGE mistake hiring CM over Dan Hurley 3 years ago if in fact Dan was interested in this job. I hate the fact that Matt is the only recruiter on the staff. I think it's completely ridiculous that CM hasn't shaken up the staff yet this offseason. I don't like that the only true X's and O's guy on the staff is 27 years old. I don't like that they haven't been able to land another serviceable big for this season. I think the staff completely flubbed the Zach Brown situation and deserves plenty of criticism for that. I think its deeply concerning that so many players have transferred or left for opportunities that weren't necessarily better than the one they had here.

The point I'm making is there are plenty of legitimate things to criticize the staff on but now it seems like some guy's hatred for the staff has them complaining about things that are nonsense, like offering every 5 star player.

It's kind of like of politics here now, there are some people that think the President can do no right and would complain he is unfit for the job because his watch was two minutes off. Then others think he could no wrong and would support him if he decided to put us in a ridiculous war. I think both of those of people are dumb because they are unable to see that he does some right and some wrong. This is one of those things where I think people are complaining about Mullin's watch being two minutes off just because they hate him. I'd equally disagree with anybody who would think Mullin is flawless or above criticism and all of it has just been bad luck so far.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 10:29:37 PM »

Here is my point I wasn't really criticizing.

Secondly one of the main criticisms of this staff is the over reliance on transferring which you defended.

Then this nonsense of this being the best roster in 20 years as if a) it's true and b) as if that's impressive.

I don't need you to list your criticisms, I'm sure your accurate.  But your reactions recently have been pretty knee jerk in one direction where I'm not sure it is warranted from an objective opinion.

I'll bite

Yes, plenty. For the record I think the school made a HUGE mistake hiring CM over Dan Hurley 3 years ago if in fact Dan was interested in this job. I hate the fact that Matt is the only recruiter on the staff. I think it's completely ridiculous that CM hasn't shaken up the staff yet this offseason. I don't like that the only true X's and O's guy on the staff is 27 years old. I don't like that they haven't been able to land another serviceable big for this season. I think the staff completely flubbed the Zach Brown situation and deserves plenty of criticism for that. I think its deeply concerning that so many players have transferred or left for opportunities that weren't necessarily better than the one they had here.

The point I'm making is there are plenty of legitimate things to criticize the staff on but now it seems like some guy's hatred for the staff has them complaining about things that are nonsense, like offering every 5 star player.

It's kind of like of politics here now, there are some people that think the President can do no right and would complain he is unfit for the job because his watch was two minutes off. Then others think he could no wrong and would support him if he decided to put us in a ridiculous war. I think both of those of people are dumb because they are unable to see that he does some right and some wrong. This is one of those things where I think people are complaining about Mullin's watch being two minutes off just because they hate him. I'd equally disagree with anybody who would think Mullin is flawless or above criticism and all of it has just been bad luck so far.

Come on that's not even close to what I was getting at.  But the fact you felt the need to write all that says it all

goredmen

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 10:46:42 PM »

Here is my point I wasn't really criticizing.

Secondly one of the main criticisms of this staff is the over reliance on transferring which you defended.

Then this nonsense of this being the best roster in 20 years as if a) it's true and b) as if that's impressive.

I don't need you to list your criticisms, I'm sure your accurate.  But your reactions recently have been pretty knee jerk in one direction where I'm not sure it is warranted from an objective opinion.

I'll bite

Come on that's not even close to what I was getting at.  But the fact you felt the need to write all that says it all

Some people will criticize the staff about something ridiculous like offering a bunch of 5 and 4 star kids during the April live period. Others will then pile on because they have a hatred for the staff and won't miss a chance to criticize them no matter how ridiculous the complaint. Not necessarily you specifically but it has been happening over the past 4 months. And I understand the frustration but people are really reaching with some of this stuff

And I'm confused by your second sentence. You asked what about the staff gives me pause. I wrote a bunch of examples that directly answered your question. What does that say?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:48:10 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 10:53:55 PM »
Those are an awful lot of criticisms of the coach so I guess you hate him. never knew that criticism equated to hate but hey I guess you learn something everyday. My father was critical of me as a kid so I guess he hated me. Took myself and my family out to dinner on Sunday at age 86 not bad treatment by someone that must hate me.

goredmen

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 11:07:25 PM »
Those are an awful lot of criticisms of the coach so I guess you hate him. never knew that criticism equated to hate but hey I guess you learn something everyday. My father was critical of me as a kid so I guess he hated me. Took myself and my family out to dinner on Sunday at age 86 not bad treatment by someone that must hate me.

Missing the point. There are plenty of valid criticisms to make about Mullin and staff. But when you start reaching for stuff to criticize them about or will complain about nonsense it shows you are complaining just to take shots at them.

Not talking about any specific poster but this is basically what has happened:

Posters - "Why is the staff going after players like Earlington and Roberts? They aren't good enough. We need better players!"

*Staff offers a bunch of 4 and 5 star players over the course of 48 hours*

Posters - "Why are we offering all of these players. We have no shot at them. This is a terrible strategy!"
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:07:58 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 11:09:18 PM »
Still doesn't equate to hate in my book.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 11:44:00 PM »

Missing the point. There are plenty of valid criticisms to make about Mullin and staff. But when you start reaching for stuff to criticize them about or will complain about nonsense it shows you are complaining just to take shots at them.

Not talking about any specific poster but this is basically what has happened:

Posters - "Why is the staff going after players like Earlington and Roberts? They aren't good enough. We need better players!"

*Staff offers a bunch of 4 and 5 star players over the course of 48 hours*

Posters - "Why are we offering all of these players. We have no shot at them. This is a terrible strategy!"

Quite a general brush stroke you're making. Because someone who has a problem with one strategy might be in favor of the other.  Since I was vocal on this thread I will just say look back in 3 months and see how many posts are devoted to a few of these guys who popped up today. pretty certain it will be low. I have no problem with the likes of earlington to fill out a team. Only 13 ships 200 minutes and 1 ball.