Ian Steere - PF - NC State - ST. JOHN’S

• 83 replies
Re: Ian Steere- (NC State, PF) 6'9/260
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 03:56:37 AM »
He isn’t a Lovett with all the schools. I think it’s more simply being uninformed and he blew up late. So wasn’t feeling Creighton and a panic commitment to local NC State.

He also played at three high schools.

You wouldn't want this...

https://youtu.be/6uQQK3Qw0bQ

Dave, I don´t doubt that he is a talented player. He was recruited by (very) good schools.
But we don´t have roster stability because we have so many transfers in and out. And with so  many high schools and colleges it looks like he is not going to give us stability.

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 08:05:40 AM »
He isn’t a Lovett with all the schools. I think it’s more simply being uninformed and he blew up late. So wasn’t feeling Creighton and a panic commitment to local NC State.

Dave, I don´t doubt that he is a talented player. He was recruited by (very) good schools.
But we don´t have roster stability because we have so many transfers in and out. And with so  many high schools and colleges it looks like he is not going to give us stability.

Staff knows Kofi is likely out of reach & this is a way to fill big void next season.

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »

Staff knows Kofi is likely out of reach & this is a way to fill big void next season.
Ugh I was afraid that would be the reason why we would be trying to get involved.

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 06:21:51 PM »

Huh? He'd most likely be eligible immediately next year, worst case after 1st semester. Where is the stability issue?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »

Kofi is a monster but seems like he comes with headache recruitment similar to Whitehead or Briscoe.

paultzman

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:53:11 PM by Dave »

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 03:55:44 AM »

Huh? He'd most likely be eligible immediately next year, worst case after 1st semester. Where is the stability issue?

It looks like he is not the type of player that it´s going to be with us 3 and a half years.
I would like to have 4 years players. It should not be a miracle for us.
The stability of Providence, for example, where there are no 7-8 new players in a season.
The mentality of Justin Wright Foreman, a local player who averaged 4 minutes as freshman at Hofstra and now he averages 24-25 points per game at the same school as senior.
I´m not saying that Wright Foreman is better than Steere, but I like this kind of mentality: play little as freshman, have patience, improve.

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
It looks like he is not the type of player that it´s going to be with us 3 and a half years.
I would like to have 4 years players. It should not be a miracle for us.
The stability of Providence, for example, where there are no 7-8 new players in a season.
The mentality of Justin Wright Foreman, a local player who averaged 4 minutes as freshman at Hofstra and now he averages 24-25 points per game at the same school as senior.
I´m not saying that Wright Foreman is better than Steere, but I like this kind of mentality: play little as freshman, have patience, improve.

Ok... so you just compared a guard to a big and a low end CAA team to Big East. These are apples and oranges.

There are 3 freshman on the team who have barely seen the light of day. The stable is building. Outside of Kofi who is an attainable high school senior near the talent of Steere? What would be your plan?

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
Ok... so you just compared a guard to a big and a low end CAA team to Big East. These are apples and oranges.

There are 3 freshman on the team who have barely seen the light of day. The stable is building. Outside of Kofi who is an attainable high school senior near the talent of Steere? What would be your plan?

I have not compared the talent of Wright Foreman and Steere. I have compared the type of mentality of Wright Foreman (played very little as freshman and didn´t transfer) with the 3 high schools and 3 colleges of Steere.
My plan is very simple: Cockburn and Achiuwa. Less Golden State Warriors and more high school gyms.

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
I have not compared the talent of Wright Foreman and Steere. I have compared the type of mentality of Wright Foreman (played very little as freshman and didn´t transfer) with the 3 high schools and 3 colleges of Steere.
My plan is very simple: Cockburn and Achiuwa. Less Golden State Warriors and more high school gyms.

So in one breathe you're mentioning a 2 star guard who had low major interest and couldn't play immediately at Hofstra as a target player and in the next you're saying St. John's should go after 4-5 star players who have interest from all high majors.

These guys are completely contrasting.

Marcellus Earlington is a better example of Wright-Foreman. You can recruit those type of guys when your roster is filled out.

Get Steere, forget Kofi, and go all out on Precious.

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 11:11:36 AM »
Steere and Mack visiting SJU this weekend. Double good news perhaps

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »
Paultz what's your opinion of Steere and Mack?  All I can find is their 247 rankings and a few highlight videos.  What happened to Mack at SFA? Should we be concerned at all with Steere bouncing around between schools?  Since we're already low on schollys, if we land these two can we assume we're out on Kofi and Precious?

paultzman

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »
Paultz what's your opinion of Steere and Mack?  All I can find is their 247 rankings and a few highlight videos.  What happened to Mack at SFA? Should we be concerned at all with Steere bouncing around between schools?  Since we're already low on schollys, if we land these two can we assume we're out on Kofi and Precious?
Have only seen clips of both, so no opinion. Of course they present risks re multiple schools. Kofi would be waste of time imo, but hear often that Precious respects Mullin. That said, imo SJU needs to have a solid season & “dance” for him to find Johnnies appealing. Seem to still be very much in it for PA though.

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »
Have only seen clips of both, so no opinion. Of course they present risks re multiple schools. Kofi would be waste of time imo, but hear often that Precious respects Mullin. That said, imo SJU needs to have a solid season & “dance” for him to find Johnnies appealing. Seem to still be very much in it for PA though.
Thanks Paultz.  Great to hear about Precious. Tough to project how good a kid can be from watching highlight clips but I was very entertained watching Steere's mix tapes.  Looks to have the skill set and body of an unrefined Blake Griffin.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:51:32 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

Mike

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 12:14:47 AM »
We have been hoping for a big body for a while and now we have the potential to get one and people aren’t happy. So we push him aside and pray and hope for Kofi?? From the sounds of it the chances are very slim. Even if he came how long will he be here before people are pushing him to the draft.
If Steere wants to come and the staff is ok with it, you take him. Most likely the roster will have spots so I don’t see this hurting us.
Gonzalo, you can hope and pray for the 5* big guys but you should be realistic on our chances for any of them at this point. Which basically means it’s not happening.

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »
We have been hoping for a big body for a while and now we have the potential to get one and people aren’t happy. So we push him aside and pray and hope for Kofi?? From the sounds of it the chances are very slim. Even if he came how long will he be here before people are pushing him to the draft.
If Steere wants to come and the staff is ok with it, you take him. Most likely the roster will have spots so I don’t see this hurting us.
Gonzalo, you can hope and pray for the 5* big guys but you should be realistic on our chances for any of them at this point. Which basically means it’s not happening.
I was excited watching Steere's highlight tape but lets not get it twisted, he's still a 3 star kid ranked in the 140's.  Getting him and maybe Cam Mack on board isn't going to make this a good recruiting class.  If you're saying we need to get realistic and accept that we can't get 5 star players then that's a severe indictment on the coaching staff.  We hired a guy with no coaching experience so we knew he would be awful at x's and o's but he was expected to be able to attract top talent.  So far he has not been able to do that.  If it's "unrealistic" for us to expect this staff to ever land top 30 kids then I don't think this experiment should continue.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:53:22 AM by colelatshaw2010 »

sju89tr

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »
I was excited watching Steere's highlight tape but lets not get it twisted, he's still a 3 star kid ranked in the 140's.  Getting him and maybe Cam Mack on board isn't going to make this a good recruiting class.  If you're saying we need to get realistic and accept that we can't get 5 star players then that's a severe indictment on the coaching staff.  We hired a guy with no coaching experience so we knew he would be awful at x's and o's but he was expected to be able to attract top talent.  So far he has not been able to do that.  If it's "unrealistic" for us to expect this staff to ever land top 30 kids then I don't think this experiment should continue.

We have 3 Top 50 guys on the roster in Ponds, Heron, and Simon
The rest are top 150 guys
The recruiting has been up and down but lets see how the year turns out
Winning will do a lot to get kids in here
Getting a Heron or Ponds to the league will add some cred to the regime     

ras

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »
LJ and Keita were top 100 out of HS, also Ely, the sit out pg . Hopefully Simon will return next year. We can use another big. I’m all for signing Steele.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:23:52 PM by ras »

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
in general, a top 150 big is still good... a lot more guards fill up these rankings.

he was ranked # 18 at the Center position for his class.