Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S

• 129 replies
Re: Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
Surprise Dave thinks it’s a reach. A reach would be offering a cross dressing thief to be your big man, a kid with offers from hall cincy few others is just a solid local player that may help build cma name in nyc.

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 09:59:42 PM »
I disagree with Dave’s overall negative tone with respect to Mike Anderson’s regime, but I don’t think he’s totally wrong.  The kid isn’t a stud but I think he should be viewed as more of a complimentary local player who can give us time at multiple spot. 

Dave isn’t wrong that overall the kids we signed are not exactly blue-chippers.  I just differ a little bit in that I think these kids offer more toughness and depth entering next season.  as we rebuild our program under Anderson in a different style. 

These are late pickups to fill needs.  McGriff likely to be a backup pg.  Sears a tough rebounder.  Champagnie a versatile local kid who can play multiple spots for a coach who goes greater than 10 deep.

Overall though, our roster is underwhelming With respect to underclass talent.  That will have to change for the 2020 class as we rebuild the roster.  I expect some transfers next year coupled with the graduation of our better players will likely clear the way a bit.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 10:15:29 PM »
Just so I’m understanding which perspective this is coming from Dave, would you consider yourself a scout or media?

He's mainly media.  This site has been somewhat of a morgue, and I believe he's been trolling to create dialogue on his forum. 

As, long as this isn't our way of going about business long-term, then I'm okay with roster-fillers at this junction.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:19:29 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 10:16:27 PM »
Just so I’m understanding which perspective this is coming from Dave, would you consider yourself a scout or media?

I wouldn't consider myself either. I have worked in grassroots basketball for over a decade and have seen Julian play since he's 13. I think I have a fair assessment for him and his peers.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 10:17:34 PM »
Surprise Dave thinks it’s a reach. A reach would be offering a cross dressing thief to be your big man, a kid with offers from hall cincy few others is just a solid local player that may help build cma name in nyc.

That would be a risk not a reach.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 10:18:53 PM »
He's mainly media.  This site has been somewhat of a morgue, and I believe he's been trolling to create dialogue on his forum. 

You got me. Big conspiracy to drive posts.

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 10:21:17 PM »

You got me. Big conspiracy to drive posts.

:up:

Poison

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 10:34:28 PM »
He is the lesser of the two brothers. I thought he was gonna wind up at A-10 level but thought if he went lower he'd be real impact. So definitely feel it's a reach for us.

If he learns and improves over his time here his overall play may not mimic his star ranking.

We have had so many 4 star kids come here without getting better, why not give this new coach a chance to show us his system?

So it’s a 3 not a 4 star kid. What matters is whether or not Mike Anderson and Julian Champagnie are willing to put the work in to make Julian Champagnie a better player.

Also, I think it’s funny the way the A10 is tossed around like a lesser conference. The BE won one NCAA game last year. This is a prototypical BE project. Let’s see how he turns out.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 10:36:35 PM »
I always encourage everyone to share their opinions, knowledge, and thoughts. I'm simply sharing mine.

I think he'd be better suited to play for say a school like Fordham than St. John's. This isn't to say he couldn't develop to become an impact player but I don't like the immediate fit. It's simply a reach at this point to fill out roster. It's like when I didn't like Duval to Duke or Briscoe to Kentucky or Washington to Minnesota etc. It's not an anti coach or program thing but sometimes guys are better off going somewhere else.

I'm not comparing this to recruits of past coaches like many of you want to believe for whatever reason but recruits of other schools in conference right now. Outside of Creighton and Marquette we might have worst class.

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 10:43:46 PM »
If he learns and improves over his time here his overall play may not mimic his star ranking.

We have had so many 4 star kids come here without getting better, why not give this new coach a chance to show us his system?

So it’s a 3 not a 4 star kid. What matters is whether or not Mike Anderson and Julian Champagnie are willing to put the work in to make Julian Champagnie a better player.

Also, I think it’s funny the way the A10 is tossed around like a lesser conference. The BE won one NCAA game last year. This is a prototypical BE project. Let’s see how he turns out.

I could care less if a player is 3, 4, or no stars. It's more about potential, production, and how the player has competed against his peers. For instance he wouldn't sniff Gregg Gant at Providence, Dahmir Bishop at Xavier, or Khalif Battle at Butler. He might be on par with Oscar Lopez at DePaul who's also a bit of a reach but Lopez who's nickname is the Lion plays incredibly hard.

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2019, 10:55:01 PM »
I could care less if a player is 3, 4, or no stars. It's more about potential, production, and how the player has competed against his peers. For instance he wouldn't sniff Gregg Gant at Providence, Dahmir Bishop at Xavier, or Khalif Battle at Butler. He might be on par with Oscar Lopez at DePaul who's also a bit of a reach but Lopez who's nickname is the Lion plays incredibly hard.

You said it there though Dave.  We are just trying to fill out a roster.  Mike Anderson barely has a staff in place.  We definitely have to recruit more highly ranked kids in 2020 and beyond.  Matt was definitely good at grabbing transfers last minute and behind the 8-ball.  No denying that.  I think Anderson focused this late recruiting period grabbing needed help in areas of rebounding, quick PG that can defend and grabbing a pretty good NYC wing to fill our roster. 

Moving forward I have no doubt we will target higher level players when we have more of a running start and have a full staff in place.  It’s gonna be a total rebuild and we will need depth.  Agree we also need more studs.

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2019, 11:04:53 PM »
Seen this kid play plenty. Athletic and has flashes but he is just roster depth for now
 I think if Pitt really wanted him he would've been there. Reclassed once SJU offered.

QuanMan

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2019, 11:07:07 PM »
Core intact, above average staff assembled, complimentary pieces rolling in, 2 ships left, WE ARE. 
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2019, 11:23:42 PM »
watching some video of this kid I don't think he will contribute much if anything next season ala Roberts this season but hopefully with hard work and good coaching he can meaningfully contribute down the road. Would love a short term point and big to fill remaining scholarships and give us a better chance to be competitive next season. Most of us any gettin any younger.

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2019, 11:24:27 PM »
watching some video of this kid I don't think he will contribute much if anything next season ala Roberts this season but hopefully with hard work and good coaching he can meaningfully contribute down the road. Would love a short term point and big to fill remaining scholarships and give us a better chance to be competitive next season. Most of us ain't gettin any younger.

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2019, 11:29:17 PM »
Outside of Creighton and Marquette we might have worst class.

We are the only school in the conference that had a coaching change this offseason. Did you expect us not to have one of the worst classes in the conference? Is there another coach we could have gotten that would have immediately brought in a class that would have been one of the best in the conference? And please don't say Mike Brey again.

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 12:48:06 AM »
Mike Brey would of had us in elite 8 at minimum, gotten prince, aiden and few other 5 stars....kidding
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:48:40 AM by erickthered »

SJUFAN

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 03:34:14 AM »
Fellas...CMA’s style runs 10 deep. We struggled going 7 deep last year and last time I looked 5 of those players are gone. We need bodies. These recruits are tough and athletic. They may struggle offensively, but this team will be built on defense first, and we will win because of that.

This is the type of local player that finds their way on a big 10 Team and contributes off the bench as an upper classmen on a tournament team. In time I believe CMA will bring in “higher profile” players, but at a minimum he’s better than what we had at the end of our bench last year.

SJUFAN

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 03:39:21 AM »
I wouldn't consider myself either. I have worked in grassroots basketball for over a decade and have seen Julian play since he's 13. I think I have a fair assessment for him and his peers.

Great! So provide your assessment of him. What are his defensive limitations? What will be his challenges defensively at this level?

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2019, 05:05:05 AM »
I think this is a solid get. Hopefully he will be able to contribute as an upperclassmen. I definitely trust Dave's eyes and opinion since he's been around the game watching kids all the time for the past decade. He is a St. John's fan and definitely wants them to win from what I can tell from his posts.

Can we please stop saying oh this kid is perfect for Mike Anderson's system? No one knows that yet. You guys will say that about anyone who's tall and lanky or short and quick. Is the only players not good for his system fat slobs? Lets wait and see