In home visits

• 17 replies
In home visits
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »
Even the Norm haters have to admit things are looking up

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/09/19/st-johns-recruiting-update/#more-3810

Having already locked up a recruiting class of Omari Lawrence, Quincy Roberts and Tyshwan Edmondson, St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts has one scholarship remaining for the Class of 2009.

St. John’s is focusing on Lance Stephenson, James Padgett, Marco Baldi and Jordan Williams. If the Johnnies were to land commitments from two of these players, they would need someone to leave the team in order to free up a scholarship.

Coach Roberts had an in-home visit with the 6-foot-8 Williams on Wednesday and Williams had previously said St. John’s had shown the most interest in him. He recently had an in-home visit with Coach Gary Williams of Maryland, and plans to visit there officially.

“I can tell you that I am going to take an official visit there [Maryland],” Williams told TerrapinTimes.com. “I am thinking about coming down for their Maryland Madness, since it sounds like that is also Homecoming Weekend and a lot will be going on. Right now, that is the tentative plan, but it’s possible I could visit before then. This process is just beginning in terms of home and official visits, and I am not ready to say anyone is leading at this point. But Maryland is definitely going to be in the mix.”

As for the 6-7 Padgett, he had an in-home with Coach Roberts on Monday and is also considering West Virginia, Pitt, Maryland, South Carolina and Providence. Some close to the situation say Padgett is looking to get away, though, which could favor a school like Pitt, where he will take an official this weekend, along with Durand Scott of Rice.

As for the 6-5 Stephenson, ZAGSBLOG broke the news earlier this week that Roberts and assistant Fred Quartlebaum had an in-home with the Stephensons last Thursday. He won’t decide until  the spring, but St. John’s appears to have as strong a shot as anybody.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:43:08 AM by Marco Baldi »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: In home visits
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:25:31 AM »
Not a hater, but an in-home visit and sitting on a recruit's couch means a lot less than signing these guys.  When Jordan Williams comes back and says he's canceling his Maryland trip, and some high-end recruit comes out and says he's considering the Storm, then things are looking up.

(I'll think things are looking up when the team beats the teams they should be beating by a solid margin, and bests that weak sauce Boston College to inexplicably get back to the Garden in the preseason NIT.)

Poison

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:40:47 AM »

Having already locked up a recruiting class of Omari Lawrence, Quincy Roberts and Tyshwan Edmondson, St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts has one scholarship remaining for the Class of 2009.

St. John’s is focusing on Lance Stephenson, James Padgett, Marco Baldi and Jordan Williams. If the Johnnies were to land commitments from two of these players, they would need someone to leave the team in order to free up a scholarship.

Coach Roberts had an in-home visit with the 6-foot-8 Williams on Wednesday and Williams had previously said St. John’s had shown the most interest in him. He recently had an in-home visit with Coach Gary Williams of Maryland, and plans to visit there officially.

“I can tell you that I am going to take an official visit there [Maryland],” Williams told TerrapinTimes.com. “I am thinking about coming down for their Maryland Madness, since it sounds like that is also Homecoming Weekend and a lot will be going on. Right now, that is the tentative plan, but it’s possible I could visit before then. This process is just beginning in terms of home and official visits, and I am not ready to say anyone is leading at this point. But Maryland is definitely going to be in the mix.”

As for the 6-7 Padgett, he had an in-home with Coach Roberts on Monday and is also considering West Virginia, Pitt, Maryland, South Carolina and Providence. Some close to the situation say Padgett is looking to get away, though, which could favor a school like Pitt, where he will take an official this weekend, along with Durand Scott of Rice.

As for the 6-5 Stephenson, ZAGSBLOG broke the news earlier this week that Roberts and assistant Fred Quartlebaum had an in-home with the Stephensons last Thursday. He won’t decide until  the spring, but St. John’s appears to have as strong a shot as anybody.

They are, but the idea of telling yet another recruit to take a walk is disheartening.
This "nice guy" perception has slowly turned into a what can you do for me?

Who will be booted next? Norm has already dropped too many guys.

mkras99

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »
Not a hater, but an in-home visit and sitting on a recruit's couch means a lot less than signing these guys.  When Jordan Williams comes back and says he's canceling his Maryland trip, and some high-end recruit comes out and says he's considering the Storm, then things are looking up.

(I'll think things are looking up when the team beats the teams they should be beating by a solid margin, and bests that weak sauce Boston College to inexplicably get back to the Garden in the preseason NIT.)
Very well put.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »
It is a sad statement of how far our program has fallen when we're supposed to be excited that a kid agreed to listen to a pitch.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:26:56 AM »

They are, but the idea of telling yet another recruit to take a walk is disheartening.

Eh, a little churn is good for the team, especially when the roster is heavy on one class.  I used to get pissed about the players leaving the squad, but that's become commonplace; moreover, the talent has get up there to get this team competitive.  Imagine a roster of guys who could defend AND score. 

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »

I completely agree

I think there is a difference between kids leaving and being forced to leave. Transfers happen all the time everywhere go look at the Who's In and Who's out article on the site here and you'll see how many teams also had transfers.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »
I don't think it is unreasonable for fans to get excited about a player of Lance's caliber showing strong interest in coming to St. John's.  He is considered by some to be the best player in the country.  I think most fans of other programs get excited over highly ranked recruits visiting too. 

I've heard Quartelbaum has been on Lance for a LONG time...lets hope it pays off! 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 09:38:13 PM »
You cant have it both ways. There is very little room for "nice guys" in college basketball,Norm  has proven this already. Look at the coaches in the Big East, these guys are killers. Kids are replaced and told they dont fit future plans all the time from even lesser programs in weaker conferences. You mean to tell me you'll be upset that Norm told a player he might be better off elsewhere because Lance is coming in?

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 11:57:48 PM »
there are no norm "haters".

there are those who are concerned that in year five athlon has us 16th in the big east...and lindy's has us 15th.

i'm not buying the smoke and mirrors about in house visits until a legitimate stud signs and we're 16th or 15th in the nation in year six.

if that isn't happening, then norm should be treated the same way he treated the myriad of players he believed weren't good enough and be given a ticket out the door.

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 03:19:39 AM »
there are no norm "haters".

there are those who are concerned that in year five athlon has us 16th in the big east...and lindy's has us 15th.

i'm not buying the smoke and mirrors about in house visits until a legitimate stud signs and we're 16th or 15th in the nation in year six.

if that isn't happening, then norm should be treated the same way he treated the myriad of players he believed weren't good enough and be given a ticket out the door.

In this case I completely agree with you and the fact is people want and expect more out of Norm until he does they won't show him love. I think a lot of people get into arguments on the boards labeling people as either pro-norm or anti-norm and this shouldn't be. Just because you aren't happy doesn't mean you are a Norm hater. Many people have express different emotions in different fashions when it comes to the current state of the program. Also many people look at the glass differently. Some look as where the program has fallen, others to where the program could be. There is no right/wrong feeling.

I think you should be happy we have these in home visits and they are reportedly going well. Its good news. Should you jump for joy, no but take it for what it is worth...good news which hopefully leads to great news.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 09:14:12 AM »
Omari isn't a high end recruit?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »
Point taken, KOB.  I mean another high end recruit to go along with Omari.  Omari and Justin are great, but a number of teams in the league are trotting out a number of game-changers in their lineup, and one top end recruit won't get the team to even the middle of the pack.

kob24

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »
I have to disagree with u the former coach of west Virginia didn't have any high end recruits just a system same with the dame norm has the recruits with all pub he needs the system. He has two top 50 players of mine all he needs is the system

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 01:49:05 PM »
Personally I dont hate Norm and I completely supported him until midway through last year.

Norm's the 1st coach here where I actually not just rooted for the team but really hoped things worked out for the coach.

Do I hate Norm as our coach now ? I'm getting there. The interview last year on wfan when he said it wasnt a disappointment if they didnt get into the post season put me over the edge. That interview was embarrassing for any fan to have to listen to.

Mahoney was a great guy and recruited very well but couldnt coach and I couldnt wait till he was gone.

I feel the same way now. Great guy just in way over his head.

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
Transfers are normal regardless of who the coach is and how good or bad the team is. I follow USC (my alma mater) scrupulously; there have been quite a few transfers since 2002 and every sports fan knows how well they've done over the last few years. It seems that the motivation for transfers comes mostly from a player's understanding (right or wrong) that his best interests lie elsewhere. Sometimes, at USC, it came as a result of a sitdown with Pete Carroll and his honest answers to questions that were raised by the player. What disturbs me most about some posters' characterization of our coach at SJU in regard to the same question is the assumption that he simply told those who transferred to hit the road. To me such an assumption (and that's what it is in the absence of supportive evidence) constitutes demonization rather than a legitimate disagreement about the coach's peformance and the team's progress. The end does not, in my opinion, justify the means.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »
Transfers are normal regardless of who the coach is and how good or bad the team is. I follow USC (my alma mater) scrupulously; there have been quite a few transfers since 2002 and every sports fan knows how well they've done over the last few years. It seems that the motivation for transfers comes mostly from a player's understanding (right or wrong) that his best interests lie elsewhere. Sometimes, at USC, it came as a result of a sitdown with Pete Carroll and his honest answers to questions that were raised by the player. What disturbs me most about some posters' characterization of our coach at SJU in regard to the same question is the assumption that he simply told those who transferred to hit the road. To me such an assumption (and that's what it is in the absence of supportive evidence) constitutes demonization rather than a legitimate disagreement about the coach's peformance and the team's progress. The end does not, in my opinion, justify the means.

If only the NCAA handled us the way USC has been handled after Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo, we may never have sunk this far.
Then again, although they both demonstrate a lack of institutional control, perhaps it's apples and oranges.
One positive about Norm Roberts, unlike Jarvis, is we haven't had the numerous player charges and arrests that Pete Carroll has had to deal with.

Your overall transfer point is valid.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 10:46:51 PM »
we had a couple of suspensions and a spears drug bust under roberts.