LANCE VS FELIPE

• 42 replies
LANCE VS FELIPE
« on: September 20, 2008, 12:01:25 AM »
Who is the better High School player? Who is more high profile? When all is said and done, which will have the better College career? Lets compare the 2 in every way possible, Im interested to see what shakes out here
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:03:11 AM by Marco Baldi »

pmg911

Re: LANCE VS FELIPE
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:21:37 AM »
Felipe was concensus #1 player in his class...   Lance is not... 

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 08:41:47 AM »
Felipe was concensus #1 player in his class...   Lance is not... 

way to avoid every every question posed and way to go by not going out on a limb inflicting your personal opinion on the matter. Lets hear what you think not what scouting service ranks
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 08:52:32 AM »
Caught you there, pmg.  I do think this is a hard question in part because of what pmg brought up, actually.  Felipe came up in a time when "consensus #1" didn't mean the same thing.  What, were you reading Tom Konchanski?  Was there a Rivals?  I barely knew about the internet, so if SI tells me that a high school player is the next Jordan among men, I'm going to lean to believe it.

There's a lot more information about a player and his flaws, his entourage; a lot more extended hype and reaction to that hype.  And consensus #1 has to do with the players around a guy as well - John Wall or whoever is considered #1 isn't as good, and doesn't have the pro potential of LeBron or Greg Oden.

Back to the question - Felipe will have the better college career because Lance will only stay a year, from what I hear and see.  Dude has a movie about him.  Got to maximize that celebrity.  As far as a better freshman year - I can't see how Lance won't just be given the ball and kill it.  He can handle, drive, and score, as well as dish.  His usage rates are going to be astronomical, even if he's not always smart or team-centered about it.

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:53:14 AM »

way to avoid every every question posed and way to go by not going out on a limb inflicting your personal opinion on the matter. Lets hear what you think not what scouting service ranks

thanks for jumping down my throat...

"Compare in everyway possible..."    and I compared them in one way...    what was wrong with that...

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed...

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »

"Compare in everyway possible..."    and I compared them in one way...    what was wrong with that...

I'm having a lovely morning filled with some Ryder Cup action but really just want to hear what you think not what major scouting services think he ranks.

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:07:17 AM »

I'm having a lovely morning filled with some Ryder Cup action but really just want to hear what you think not what major scouting services think he ranks.

If you really wanted to break down their games its a very tough call but Stephenson is probably better at this point...

Their games are very similiar. . they are about the same size..  play the same position... 

Lance is stronger and a better shooter...  that is the biggest difference.. 

At the same age they are both excellent defenders, when they choose to play defense....

Would be tough for most on this board to actually compare these two players...    since most of the posters here are young they can't really speak to Felipe as a high school player...  some can but not most...

It would be like me trying to compare Felipe Lopez to Albert King..    for those who don't know..  Albert King was also the #1 ranked high school player in America coming out of Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn..

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »
Caught you there, pmg.  I do think this is a hard question in part because of what pmg brought up, actually.  Felipe came up in a time when "consensus #1" didn't mean the same thing.  What, were you reading Tom Konchanski?  Was there a Rivals?  I barely knew about the internet, so if SI tells me that a high school player is the next Jordan among men, I'm going to lean to believe it.

There's a lot more information about a player and his flaws, his entourage; a lot more extended hype and reaction to that hype.  And consensus #1 has to do with the players around a guy as well - John Wall or whoever is considered #1 isn't as good, and doesn't have the pro potential of LeBron or Greg Oden.

Back to the question - Felipe will have the better college career because Lance will only stay a year, from what I hear and see.  Dude has a movie about him.  Got to maximize that celebrity.  As far as a better freshman year - I can't see how Lance won't just be given the ball and kill it.  He can handle, drive, and score, as well as dish.  His usage rates are going to be astronomical, even if he's not always smart or team-centered about it.

Yea times are different which definitely plays a huge factor. There are a ton of guys who prep now, more people seeing these kids, more write-ups. The recruiting process has its own media coverage now and its become a legitimate business. If Felipe had write-ups online each week/month do you think he would have still been gracing the cover of SI?

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »
Felipe was a national figure. His celebrity demanded  a cover on SI. He was alone as the best the city had seen since Louis Alcindor. He had far more notarity than Chris Mullin had in his time, as just one example.  Tom Konschalski (sp?) did exist at the time and was equally as renown as he is today.He was part of the opinion makers that crowned Felipe.
As someone stressed, the point is moot because Lance is in an age that predicts one year in college but the probability is that he would be a bigger college star than Lopez if he stays. 
Philipe was the consumate team thinker and player. He didn't seem to look to be the star. He always played under control and within the system.Whereas played within the system, I would expect that Lance would play above the system because goals are different today.
In my recollection, which is shaky these days, his biggest  game was in his freshman year at Syracuse where he took over the game, scored 33, but never reached that plateau thereafter. 
I cannot imagine anyone beating out Lopez in the catagory of being a great young man and a credit to his family. He was the best  and was among the  best ever at StJ. I fairness, I don't know anything  about the other guy as a human being and , I think, that's part of greatness..

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
If Felipe had write-ups online each week/month do you think he would have still been gracing the cover of SI?

Yes. . he was in the media capital of the world and DOMINATED in high school..

Do you think if Lance Stephenson was playing anywhere besides NYC he would have had a documentary made about him...?

Randomhero423

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 09:41:10 AM »
there's actually a possibility of that.

OJ Mayo was hyped like crazy and he played in places like kentucky, ohio and west virginia.

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 09:43:02 AM »
there's actually a possibility of that.

OJ Mayo was hyped like crazy and he played in places like kentucky, ohio and west virginia.

You made my point for me...

Did OJ have a film crew following him around before he even played his senior year of high school..?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »
OJ certainly had the media following him around his senior year.  A lot of it.  Articles and articles about the kid...

The film crew thing... being in NY means that yes, some intrepid filmmakers will want to make a documentary about him, but that's also, perhaps, because Lincoln has been in the media - the book the Last Shot, the movie(s?) about Bassy, He Got Game... There are great schoolboy stars in NY and the NY area... and they don't have film crews on them...?  So if film crews equal hype, then yes, Lance is the most hyped player.

This all reminds me, I have no idea where my replica Felipe St. John's jersey went.  I got to find that thing.

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 11:36:42 AM »
Who is the better High School player? Who is more high profile? When all is said and done, which will have the better College career? Lets compare the 2 in every way possible, Im interested to see what shakes out here

1. Felipe
2. Felipe
3. Felipe, as he played 4 seasons. Lance if all reports are correct will play a maximum of 1 season.

Oldfan - I believe Felipe scored 38 at the Dome, one of the greatest performances ever by a Redmen. He was a freshman at the time who never had the benefit of playing with a decent, never mind good, BE point guard.

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »
Best playa I ever seen in NYC high school: Kenny Anderson.

Second best playa: Felipe Lopez.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Randomhero423

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »
If Felipe had write-ups online each week/month do you think he would have still been gracing the cover of SI?

Yes. . he was in the media capital of the world and DOMINATED in high school..

Do you think if Lance Stephenson was playing anywhere besides NYC he would have had a documentary made about him...?

that seems to be the first time a film crew ever did a doc on a player.  if mayo was in HS now at hunginton i wouldn't be surprised to see a doc on him as well.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 03:11:39 PM »
random hero - high school player documentaries: sebastian telfair.  before that, the two kids from Chicago in Hoop dreams (which you should see if you have not). 

Poison

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »
Over the last 20 years, SJU had their best run immediately following Lopez leaving.
He was pretty good his senior year, but Mahoney was such a bad coach, he rushed him, and ruined him.

I'd hope that Lance has a better college career providing he has one at all.
To me, in this day and age, it's less significant for a guy to stay 4 than it is for them to play one or two if the impact is there.
Carmelo stayed one year, and he had a career to remember.

Lopez stayed 4 because by the time scouts saw how good he really was, his value at the NBA wasn't there.
He was a shooting guard that couldn't shoot.

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »
random hero - high school player documentaries: sebastian telfair.  before that, the two kids from Chicago in Hoop dreams (which you should see if you have not). 
There are a lot of film school grads in desperate need of a subject.  ;)
Jeremy Tyler, the stud center from SD, had a documentary crew following him around during his sophomore season last year. The Gauchos had a documentary crew filming them this year. Fox had a season long one called Preps about Eddy Curry and other big Chicago players in his class.

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 08:37:24 PM »
How many people have actually seen Lance's documentary or any of this film?

Its not like ESPN is covering him all season. I also think Mayo got a ton of coverage when he was in school doesn't anyone remember him on the cover of ESPN the magazine his junior year?