Stepping outside the Boothe

• 1 replies

kjd01067

Stepping outside the Boothe
« on: October 04, 2008, 08:39:03 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=858522

Maurice Wingate
RedStormReport.com Editor

When one thinks of basketball and the New York swagger, Malik Boothe is the epitome. At only 5-foot-9, Boothe is a powerful point guard that hangs with the best of them.

He's not afraid to attack the heart of a defense and has the basketball I.Q. to get the job done. A staunch defender and an exceptional passer, Boothe understands the role of a point guard.

The RedStormReport.com caught up with St. John's sophomore guard at the Red Storm Tip-Off, an event designed to re-introduce the Johnnies to the student body.

As a freshman, Boothe mostly played as a back-up while soaking in the knowledge necessary to take the lead. There were flashes of things to come as Boothe tallied 11 points and 10 assists verses USF which was his first double-double. He also had a career high 7 assists and 3 steals against UConn. Boothe has been constantly improving his game in preparation for his opportunity.

This season, that opportunity presents itself as Boothe is expected to assume more of a leadership role for his team. A role which he seems more than willing to accept. "I'm ready to be the leader and run the show," Boothe says confidently.

The knock on Boothe has been that he needs to improve his outside shooting to keep defenders honest, but the sophomore has worked on that weakness all summer and feels confident that he's now more well rounded as a point guard.

Boothe says he's confident in his team this year and is looking for senior leadership as well. "I hope ((Anthony) Mason (Jr.)) is ready to step up and lead," says Boothe.

Now that the Johnnies, who were top heavy with freshman, have a year under their belts, Boothe now sees the upside. "Myself, D.J. (Kennedy) and the other freshmen, have all matured and play better together," says Boothe.

In addition, Boothe is confident that the Red Storm is even stronger at the point guard position as well, having recruited Tyshwan Edmondson. "Tyshwan is a good point guard. I like him a lot."

Malik Boothe has high expectations but his goals are simple. He expects his team to do well this year and says, "I want to give the seniors a fun ride in their last year."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:39:39 AM by kjd01067 »

sjd8886

Re: Stepping outside the Boothe
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
well, it wouldnt take much for us to be stronger at the point this year lol