The United States in Iraq - from a foreign point of view

• 27 replies

pmg911

The United States in Iraq - from a foreign point of view
« on: October 25, 2008, 07:23:57 PM »
London Times Article On Our Military

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ready for a shock? Below is an article from the London Times about our military. Interesting, it is! Our media coverage is shameful!
Winning Isn't News
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY
Iraq: What would happen if the U.S. won a war but the media didn't tell
the American public? Apparently, we have to rely on a British newspaper
for the news that we've defeated the last remnants of al-Qaida in Iraq .

London's Sunday Times called it "the culmination of one of the most
spectacular victories of the war on terror." A terrorist force that
once numbered more than 12,000, with strongholds in the west and
central regions of Iraq, has over two years been reduced to a mere
1,200 fighters, backed against the wall in the northern city of Mosul.

The destruction of al-Qaida in Iraq (AQI) is one of the most unlikely
and unforeseen events in the l ong history of American warfare. We can
thank President Bush's surge strategy, in which he bucked both
Republican and Democratic leaders in Washington by increasing our
forces there instead of surrendering.
We can also thank the leadership of the new general he placed in charge
there, David Petraeus, who may be the foremost expert in the world on
counter-insurgency warfare. And we can thank those serving in our
military in Iraq who engaged local Iraqi tribal leaders and
convinced them America was their friend and AQI their enemy.
Al-Qaida's loss of the hearts and minds of ordinary Iraqis began in
Anbar Province, which had been written off as a basket case, and
spread out from there.
Now, in Operation Lion's Roar the Iraqi army and the U.S. 3rd Armored
Cavalry Regiment is destroying the fraction of terrorists who are left.
More than 1,000 AQI operatives have already been apprehended.
Sunday Times reporter Marie Colvin, traveling with Iraqi forces in
Mosul, found little AQI presence even in bullet-ridden residential
areas that were once insurgency strongholds, and reported that the
terrorists have lost control of its Mosul urban base, with what is
left of the organization having fled south into the countryside.
Meanwhile, the State Department reports that Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri
al-Maliki's government has achieved "satisfactory" progress on
15 of the 18 political benchmarks "a big change for the better from a year ago."
Things are going so well that Maliki has even for the first time
floated the idea of a timetable for withdrawal of American forces. He
did so while visiting the United Arab Emirates , which over the weekend
announced that it was forgiving almost $7 billion of debt owed by
Baghdad, an impressive vote of confidence from a fellow Arab state in
the future of a free Iraq.
But where are the headlines and the front-page stories about all this good news? As the Media Research Center pointed out last week, "the
CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News and CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 were silent Tuesday night about the benchmarks "that signaled political progress."
The war in Iraq has been turned around180 degrees both militarily and
politically because the president stuck to his guns. Yet apart from IBD,
Fox News Channel and parts of the foreign press, the media don't seem to consider this historic event a big story.
Copyright 2008 Investor's Business Daily. All Rights Reserved.
Addendum: The reason you haven't seen this on American television or
read about it in the American press is simple--journalism is "dead" in
this country. They are controlled by Liberal Democrats who would rather
see our troops defeated than recognize a successful Republican initiated response to 9/11.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:24:23 PM by pmg911 »

Re: The United States in Iraq - from a foreign point of view
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 08:07:34 PM »
Sweet, we only had to spend over a trillion dollars and lose over 4100 troops to get this done...oh, and there are still millions of misplaced Iraqi's.  That article sure showed both sides of the equation.  Does this mean we can pull the troops out now? Mission accomplished once again, I guess.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 09:25:15 PM »
Sweet, we only had to spend over a trillion dollars and lose over 4100 troops to get this done...oh, and there are still millions of misplaced Iraqi's.  That article sure showed both sides of the equation.  Does this mean we can pull the troops out now? Mission accomplished once again, I guess.

LOL. Exactly meanwhile we're in the shitter over here. Every person I talk to is struggling financially, every business owner says these past few months have been terribly slow, a lot of my friends are getting laid off from their jobs. I think Bin Laden is gloating in his cave right now about how he is doing in this war.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 04:42:13 AM »

Is the world a better place because of this?  I think so. 

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 11:22:14 AM »

if you truly felt this way, you'd be in iraq.  the bottom line is we won the war when bush did his mission accomplished tour.  the bad part is he had no exit plan.  mccain has no exit plan.  the iraqis want an exit plan.

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »

if you truly felt this way, you'd be in iraq. 

how can you say that without more information...    you think because you served you have the right, and balls, to say that to someone..?

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
This argument is absurd on many fronts.

First of all, the war in Iraq is a success because we defeated the 'al-Qaida in Iraq'? There WAS no 'al-Qaida in Iraq' until we got there. Let's see.. we created it and then pretty much beat it down. Mission Accomplished!!

And General Petraeus feels that what we have accomplished in Iraq is extremely fragile, and likely would not survive if we withdrew any more troops. Mission Accomplished!!

It's a lot easier to find and claim success when every time you miss the bar you lower it. Have things stabilized. Yes. Is what we've 'accomplished' worth the cost in lives? Or even if no lives were lost, was it even worth the financial cost?

PMG, please repeat your mantra after me.. 'There are none so blind as those that will not see'.

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »

First of all, the war in Iraq is a success because we defeated the 'al-Qaida in Iraq'? There WAS no 'al-Qaida in Iraq' until we got there. Let's see.. we created it and then pretty much beat it down. Mission Accomplished!!

And General Petraeus feels that what we have accomplished in Iraq is extremely fragile, and likely would not survive if we withdrew any more troops. Mission Accomplished!!

It's a lot easier to find and claim success when every time you miss the bar you lower it. Have things stabilized. Yes. Is what we've 'accomplished' worth the cost in lives? Or even if no lives were lost, was it even worth the financial cost?

PMG, please repeat your mantra after me.. 'There are none so blind as those that will not see'.

Jacstorm...  repeat after me..   GFY...

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 12:18:49 PM »

Jacstorm...  repeat after me..   GFY...

You are so civilized...

How do you pronounce "GFY"
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 01:50:03 PM »

Jacstorm...  repeat after me..   GFY...

Has OldRed rubbed off on you?

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

Jacstorm...  repeat after me..   GFY...

Has OldRed rubbed off on you?

no because I am not talking about anyone's mother or deceased brother...

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »
Why are we in the shitter here, because idiots that make 50,000 a year tried to buy a house for 500,000 i feel real bad. Try taking some responsolity for once. I'm doing great, why? because i live with in my means. I'm so sick of all this doomsday bullsh#@!. Grow up, if life is so bad here why are people worried about norm and the class coming in, or gee we need a nicer on campus arena. If everyone who thinks things are so bad here you are all free to leave find a better place and let us know where it is. Or better yet spend sometime doing something meaningful, go into the projects in brownsville or east new york and help those kids out. Thats one thing that pisses my off all these people want to go out and help all these poor kids across the world what about the ones who live here and have no chance.

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 07:54:19 PM »
Why are we in the shitter here, because idiots that make 50,000 a year tried to buy a house for 500,000 i feel real bad. Try taking some responsolity for once. I'm doing great, why? because i live with in my means. I'm so sick of all this doomsday bullsh#@!. Grow up, if life is so bad here why are people worried about norm and the class coming in, or gee we need a nicer on campus arena. If everyone who thinks things are so bad here you are all free to leave find a better place and let us know where it is. Or better yet spend sometime doing something meaningful, go into the projects in brownsville or east new york and help those kids out. Thats one thing that pisses my off all these people want to go out and help all these poor kids across the world what about the ones who live here and have no chance.

GREAT POST

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »
Thank You PMG911, i just get sick of hearing the sos.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 12:27:23 PM »
people who make 50-thousand a year are sold a bill of goods by greedy real estate agents and bankers and auto dealers, etc. that they'll find a way to make you pay for the american dream.  then when the dream vanishes, the greedy are bailed out and the hard working american who was sold the bill of goods is castigated.

go figure.

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »

how can you say that without more information...    you think because you served you have the right, and balls, to say that to someone..?

i have no more rights than anyone else. 
don't overblow my service.  i don't.
i'm man enough to tell you if there had been no draft, i probably wouldn't have served. 
i'll also tell you that i would never expect someone else to do my fighting for me.

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 12:33:23 PM »

i have no more rights than anyone else. 
don't overblow my service.  i don't.
i'm man enough to tell you if there had been no draft, i probably wouldn't have served. 
i'll also tell you that i would never expect someone else to do my fighting for me.

Then how can you say to someone, whom you know nothing about , that if he felt that way he would be in Iraq...

How do you know that he hasn't tried to serve. .  or has been disqualified from service...

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »
i've seen marillac.  he looks pretty athletic.  he also seems to have a reasonably high i-q...considering he got a masters degree from columbia.

it's very tough to get disqualified from service these days.

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »
people who make 50-thousand a year are sold a bill of goods by greedy real estate agents and bankers and auto dealers, etc. that they'll find a way to make you pay for the american dream.  then when the dream vanishes, the greedy are bailed out and the hard working american who was sold the bill of goods is castigated.

go figure.

BINGO. the reason most people that make $50g a year have tried to buy houses for $500g's is because they have been lied to...

"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 04:54:37 PM »
i just got an ad for a refinace under five percent....five hundred thousand will "cost me" $2761 per month.  someone making 50-thousand dollars a year makes about four thousand a month.  this is under the absurd assumption that someone gets a starter home for half a million dollars.

i can see how some people are deceived into taking the risk.  capitalists do it every day.  it's the system...and more often than not, it works.