Davontay Grace - PG - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY - MANHATTAN

• 157 replies
Re: Davontay Grace - PG - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY - ST. JOHN's
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2010, 03:05:31 PM »
"he'd like to get together to discuss things"

Um, when my schedule clears up, if I don't have anything else to do, I'll be in touch. Yea, this sounds like it isn't happening. Lavin isn't doing any coaching right now, so the most important thing he has to do now is recruit.

Lol way to read into things. Lets the chips fall where they may. Grace is still interested in St. John's thats probably the most important thing. The ball is in our court.

No kidding. Let's give the guy a chance to get going before we start reading problems into how he's operating.

It sounds to me like Lavin already knows how to get the area coaches on board. That's a good sign.

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2010, 03:05:46 PM »
I've heard from guys who have played with him that Harkless isn't that good.  Unfortunately, I've never seen him play so my info isn't worth much.

Poison

« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »

Um, when my schedule clears up, if I don't have anything else to do, I'll be in touch. Yea, this sounds like it isn't happening. Lavin isn't doing any coaching right now, so the most important thing he has to do now is recruit.

Lol way to read into things. Lets the chips fall where they may. Grace is still interested in St. John's thats probably the most important thing. The ball is in our court.

It's been so long since I was confident regarding recruits.
I don't even remember what it feels like.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2010, 03:24:33 PM »
But Harkless signed months ago to U Conn; I think schools would be more worried now than when Norm was in charge.  And why spend a roster spot on a kid they don't think will make an impact?

mkras99

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »
But Harkless signed months ago to U Conn; I think schools would be more worried now than when Norm was in charge.  And why spend a roster spot on a kid they don't think will make an impact?

Harkless is 2011 (or maybe 2012 if he preps a year) so don't believe he's signed anything yet.

« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2010, 01:06:18 AM »
Davontay Grace, a 2011 prospect out of Thomas Jefferson (Brooklyn, New York), spoke with Gotham Hoops’ Jeremy Bauman about his future with the St. John’s Red Storm. View Here
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2010, 01:25:51 AM »
love this kid and i havent even seen him play.

« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2010, 01:49:17 AM »

Poison the thing to remember about Grace is that he's a pass first point guard who's strong enough to play through contact and finish at the Big East level. I also like that he's expressed a willingness to play in the same backcourt with one of the other top points in the class (Mack,Gibbs, Hinds or Johnson)  Also with regard to the "honorable mention" selection he was in my opinion hurt by his own unselfishness and the modest scoring numbers that brought with it. Coupe that with a great senior year from teammate David Coley and it's understandable that he'd be overlooked. Frankly as long as the prospect is physically ready to play at a level I want guys like that. He doesn't make or break the class but he's a good first get. Coach may not be putting him off but might simply want to see him play.

paultzman

« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2010, 11:05:54 AM »
JPM,

Always appreciate your wisdom. Are there actually good prospects who would like to play with Grace, as he has noted. Hearing the big kid at Lincoln, who transferred in last year, is one. Your thoughts?

kjd01067

« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2010, 05:13:32 PM »

Davontay Grace decommits.  Little contact between Lavin and Grace.

Interesting stuff.  I'm a little worried about Lavin burning bridges especially with these nyc kids (omari & grace) but I trust his judgement and hopefully we can get an even better pg to commit.  There are a lot of scholarships to go around next year so hopefully letting Grace go doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »

Davontay Grace decommits.  Little contact between Lavin and Grace.

Interesting stuff.  I'm a little worried about Lavin burning bridges especially with these nyc kids (omari & grace) but I trust his judgement and hopefully we can get an even better pg to commit.  There are a lot of scholarships to go around next year so hopefully letting Grace go doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

Lavin might not have liked this old kid's personality

pmg911

« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »
This is NOT a loss for the program.

Re: Davontay Grace - PG - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »

I will give credit where credit is due. PMG was right about Grace all along.

« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2010, 01:43:40 PM »

right in what way??? that he was never coming or that he isn't a good enough player?

grace wanted to come here, if you read the posts.  he also appeared to be the smartest player at the point we would have had since the barkley, ingram, cook gets.

maybe remi plays the point...maybe lavin has a top 30 player up his sleeve.  that doesn't mean grace all of a sudden isn't a quality player.

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2010, 01:53:04 PM »

right in what way??? that he was never coming or that he isn't a good enough player?

grace wanted to come here, if you read the posts.  he also appeared to be the smartest player at the point we would have had since the barkley, ingram, cook gets.

maybe remi plays the point...maybe lavin has a top 30 player up his sleeve.  that doesn't mean grace all of a sudden isn't a quality player.

I saw Grace at the primetime shootout and he wasn't that great. He was a bruiser but nothing to get worked up about. I do see some potential in him however I wouldn't compare him to Barkley, Ingram, or Cook...He was more like Geno Lawrence 2.0. I think Geno was a good player for us in a bad time but ultimately we want our program to be past that with Steve Lavin.

« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2010, 08:55:22 PM »
Guys the kid was honorable mention all brooklyn. Not Big East material.

« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2010, 06:52:55 PM »
Alright...What I want to know is how many people have actually seen this kid play? And how do you think his game translates to big east play? He seems like a thick bodied kid who can take play in such a physical conference. He did have a lot of quality offers from other programs, so this isn't just one of the same ol Norm recruits...
I hope we can pick this kid up. He's a brooklyn kid, who genuinely wants to play for st johns and at the garden. And if he's playing relatively well in his 1st two yrs or so, on the big stage with Lav as coach, at a renewed program, it can lead to bigger recruiting gets from city point guards down the road...

kjd01067

« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »
Alright...What I want to know is how many people have actually seen this kid play? And how do you think his game translates to big east play? He seems like a thick bodied kid who can take play in such a physical conference. He did have a lot of quality offers from other programs, so this isn't just one of the same ol Norm recruits...
I hope we can pick this kid up. He's a brooklyn kid, who genuinely wants to play for st johns and at the garden. And if he's playing relatively well in his 1st two yrs or so, on the big stage with Lav as coach, at a renewed program, it can lead to bigger recruiting gets from city point guards down the road...

Scroll back through the pages a few posters have seen him play and have raised comparisons of geno lawrence.

« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
That wouldn't be to bad though. If we had better talent around geno, he would've looked way better in his time at st johns. The problem that some people may make is think we're gonna just make a crazy jump as a program and want one and done recruits or suddenly get the top level guys. I want guys who are going to help us win and build as a program over time. Not a Donte Greene type from Syracuse, who did nothing for them besides jack up 3's and play no D. I think Davontay will be a good piece for us, I hope Lav doesn't just let him loose, since he really wasn't one of his guys...