Davontay Grace - PG - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY - MANHATTAN

• 157 replies
Re: Davontay Grace - PG - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY - ST. JOHN's
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »
i'm almost positive davontay was born in my year (meaning he will be 18). that is not normal, considering the PSAL age limit will not allow him to play next year (that is why joel wright is transferring to a prep school. he's 19)

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 05:38:51 PM »
i'm almost positive davontay was born in my year (meaning he will be 18). that is not normal, considering the PSAL age limit will not allow him to play next year (that is why joel wright is transferring to a prep school. he's 19)

The PSAL has already deemed him ineligible or if your assumptions are correct then he would be unable to play?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 05:47:44 PM »

The PSAL has already deemed him ineligible or if your assumptions are correct then he would be unable to play?

he's going to play this year. but if i'm right about his age he won't play next year. the psal didn't make a judgement yet but it's safe to say that is what will happen.

gonzalo

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 11:33:43 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1022600

On Sunday as the Thomas Jefferson Orange Wave defeated Thomas Edison to go 2-0, one could not but notice Jefferson's svelt point guard Davontay Grace. Only a junior, Grace, who has has prepared himself for the upcoming season.

During the summer, NYCHoops.net spoke with Grace who said he would be working on both his stamina and becoming more toned.

Noticably trrimmed, Grace's high school coach Lawrence "Bud" Pollard confirms the juniors efforts saying, "He's been pushing himself. He's not as trim as I'd like him to be but we don't have access to the proper facilities and supervision."

Pollard thinks that Grace is embracing the point guard and leadership role for the Orange Wave. "We've asked him to set us up. To guard the best guy on the floor. To score and to distribute.," says Pollard.

The goal for Grace, according to Coach Pollard is to fill the void left by Jefferson's previous go-to-guy Keith Spellman, who is now redshirting at Morgan State. "He's actually doing more than Keith because we didn't ask Keith to distribute the ball. Davontay is our do-it-all guy"

During Sunday's game, Grace indeed did it all. He ran the point but also led his team scoring with 29 points and was voted the MVP.

In the front row checking out Grace's performance was St. John's head coach Norm Roberts, fresh off a victory over Temple. While Grace has significat interest from West Virginia, Providence, St. John's and Hofstra, according to Pollard, "Right now, college coaches are busy coaching guys they have right now. For Norm to come to his game and sit courtside, that says a lot. "

As far as where Grace would like to play during college, Pollard says, "I'm sure Davontay would love to stay local. He's a local kid from Brooklyn and people would love to see him play."

Pollard also thinks that college would also offer better opportunities for Grace to reach his full potential. "He would proper meal and be in a controlled environment. Davontay has a ways to go but he has so much potential."

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
it sounds like he could have a shot with this kids would we want him?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kob24

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »
yes he is tuff. reminds me of levance but he isnt levance. i want tevon sledge he is gonna be a problem

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 11:22:04 PM »
Hopefully the staff will realize that entrusting the team to one PG is a mistake... but I wonder how you sell that to a kid?  "Oh we're recruiting your competition too?"

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 03:46:38 PM »
yes he is tuff. reminds me of levance but he isnt levance. i want tevon sledge he is gonna be a problem

Who is Tevon Sledge??

Moose

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
I believe Davontay and several Jefferson teammates were at the game vs. Stony Brook last night.
Remember who broke the Slice news

gonzalo

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:28 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/12/03/harkless-to-announce-wednesday/

ST. JOHN’S LEADS FOR GRACE

Davontay Grace says St. John’s is his leader after visiting the Big East school Wednesday night.

“He’s really liking them,” Thomas Jefferson coach Lawrence Pollard said Thursday. “That’s where he wants to go. He was at the game [Wednesday night against Stony Brook]. That’s the place where he wants to be.”

Pollard said Grace also has an offer from Hofstra and interest from West Virginia, Providence, Marquette, Virginia Tech and Georgetown.

A Levance Fields prototype, Grace is averaging 20 points and 8 assists this year for Jefferson.

He poured in 30 points Sunday as Jefferson posted a 105-86 victory over Edison in the 35th annual Kangaroo Classic.

“I think he can be a Levance Field-type player, a little scoring, a little slashing, a little bit of setting people up. He can do a whole lof of winning for them,” Pollard said.

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:42 PM »
I believe Davontay and several Jefferson teammates were at the game vs. Stony Brook last night.

Davontay was indeed at the game.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/12/03/harkless-to-announce-wednesday/

ST. JOHN’S LEADS FOR GRACE

Davontay Grace says St. John’s is his leader after visiting the Big East school Wednesday night.

“He’s really liking them,” Thomas Jefferson coach Lawrence Pollard said Thursday. “That’s where he wants to go. He was at the game [Wednesday night against Stony Brook]. That’s the place where he wants to be.”

Pollard said Grace also has an offer from Hofstra and interest from West Virginia, Providence, Marquette, Virginia Tech and Georgetown.

A Levance Fields prototype, Grace is averaging 20 points and 8 assists this year for Jefferson.

He poured in 30 points Sunday as Jefferson posted a 105-86 victory over Edison in the 35th annual Kangaroo Classic.

“I think he can be a Levance Field-type player, a little scoring, a little slashing, a little bit of setting people up. He can do a whole lof of winning for them,” Pollard said.

Lock him up early! Get one and others follow

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 04:42:02 PM »
I agree lock him up.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
A no doubter.  They've been on him for a long time. 

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »
Who is Tevon Sledge??
It's Tavon. He was a bench player at St. Benedict's, who is transferring to play with Tobias. He's one of those NY kids that was labeled as one of the top sixth graders, etc. Like Grace, his age is open for discussion.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 10:16:33 AM »
Why can't we lock this kid up?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

pmg911

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 02:24:43 PM »
Who is Tevon Sledge??
It's Tavon. He was a bench player at St. Benedict's, who is transferring to play with Tobias. He's one of those NY kids that was labeled as one of the top sixth graders, etc. Like Grace, his age is open for discussion.

Sledge is transferring again..? Didn't he start @ RICE...?

gonzalo

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 03:06:21 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/12/16/big-apple-basketball-challenge-sunday/

-Davontay Grace
Stocky junior point guard for Thomas Jefferson. Injured his ankle early in the 2nd quarter, but came right back. Told NBE after he sprained it. Makes solid passes. Shows flashes of brilliance, but also can be inconsistent with decision making. Mentioned Marquette and West Virginia, as having shown interest with St. John’s, Providence and Hofstra offering scholarships.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 09:49:51 AM »
"flashes of brilliance, but also can be inconsistent with decision making"... that sounds like Geno!

Moose

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 11:25:51 AM »
"flashes of brilliance, but also can be inconsistent with decision making"... that sounds like Geno!

Geno was a 2 guard to me playing the 1.

Grace seems like a true 1.
Remember who broke the Slice news