My Reaction From Media Day, Today

• 24 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: My Reaction From Media Day, Today
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 10:27:43 AM »
The top teams take the best available player.
The 12 scholarship players as of now for 09/10 are:

1  Boothe Stith
        1/2  Ty
2  Horne  Omari

3  Kennedy  Quincy
            3/4  Rob T
4  Burrell   Evans(4/5?)

5  Coker  Wait

That's quite balanced to me, although some could argue that
DJ, Horne, Omari & Quincy are all 2/3's

Yea- we could use 1 more 4/5, but we're balanced enough,
take the 1 who will help most 09/10 & 10/11

If he's that good, take him, & pick up a big in 10 if any current leave.
These are the best available players?  The best teams take the best available impact players, but at this point, the guys the staff is looking at are not stars.

I see a number of three-guard lineups there; and where would a three-point shooter get time?  Someone among Q, Paris, Omari, and Ty will get squeezed, assuming Kennedy is playing the wing and Boothe/ Stith split at the point.

And of course - roster balance.  If the staff is here in 2011, are they going to being in 8 freshmen/ JUCOs instead of 7?  The remaining players of the verbals and already signed would be Ty/ Q/ Wait/ Omari/ Stith.  It'd be nice to have another returning forward there, at least, instead of fielding another incredibly young team.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 01:00:11 PM »
Men's Basketball Quotes

Quotes from the Red Storm Men's Basketball Media Day.

Nov. 5, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. -

Head Coach Norm Roberts

Opening Statement:

"We are excited about this season. We have talented young guys who are a year older and are excited to get started. They have been working extremely hard to improve their games from a shooting standpoint, their bodies and their strength, which is important and we all look forward to getting into this year."

On the progression of the sophomore class:

"They know where to go on the floor and when we get into situations they now know what they should be doing better than they did last year. What makes it tough was that we had nine guys that would make the same mistakes over and over because they were all learning at the same time. No we only have three freshman and guys that can help them learn the system. It helps the maturity process and the learning go a little bit faster."

On being harder on the players:

"The expectation level is a little bit higher for them because they know what to expect. They know how hard they have to fight, how hard they have to play. They know the execution has to be right because if you don't execute you won't score, and get the defensive stop when you need it. A lot of times you have to really go through the experience to really understand it. They now realize that in the BIG EAST you need a much higher level of play than in high school.

On the greatest concern entering this season:

"The greatest concern all season will be our backup point guard. We are going to have to put two freshmen in that spot behind Malik [Boothe] who has been terrific. There will be times when foul trouble and things like that force those guys to step up. We need Quincy Roberts and TyShwan Edmondson to step up, and they understand that."

On St. John's possibly being the surprise team in the BIG EAST:

"We can be that team. If we play to the roles that we have and the players know their roles and stay within them without asking other guys to step up, we can be that team. We have to shoot the ball well and play with toughness. We have to compete all the time."

Senior Center Tomas Jasiulionis

On his expectations during his senior season:

"My expectations are high, being my last year. We have a good team with more talent that is explosive and athletic and we have a lot of toughness, which should help us do well this season."

On being a leader on and off the court:

"It is a young team even though we have a lot of sophomores, they still need guidance to prepare for the games and win the games. Anthony [Mason Jr.] and I have been here for three years and we know what it takes to win. We need to serve as the role models and leaders for the young players on the team."

On the progression of sophomore Dele Coker:

"Dele has improved a lot over the offseason. He lost over 20 pounds, he is quicker, he is faster and has more consistency in his game which will affect us in a positive way because he is more confident being around the basket."

Sophomore guard Paris Horne

On his focus during the summer:

"I really focused on my shooting and my strength. It comes down to having a lot of strength when you are in the BIG EAST. I really worked on my shooting because we need shooters in this league. I think my shot will really help to free up Justin [Burrell], Mase and D.J. [Kennedy] and allow them to be successful."

On his expectations in his sophomore year:

"Our want make a run in the tournament and it might sound like a big step, but our goal is to win the BIG EAST Tournament. I think we can do it this year. I think we have the team to make the NCAA Tournament this year and just by coming together after last year and the chemistry we have this year is going to help us a lot."

On being an energy player:

"Being an energy guy is about picking up my teammates, diving for loose balls, getting into passing lanes, anything that will create energy on and off the court. That is what I'm going to do."

Freshman guard TyShwan Edmondson

On what to expect in his rookie year:

"I am going to come in, be productive, help the team out and take care of the ball. I am going to go out and do whatever coach needs me to do. My role is to be ready to come off the bench whenever he needs me. I also need to be a defensive threat."

On his transition into college basketball:

"It was tough at first but I am getting used to it now. It is a little faster and everyone is stronger, but I've been in the weight room, running and working on a lot of individual stuff to get myself ready."

On going up against sophomore Malik Boothe everyday:

"I think Malik is one of the strongest and fastest guards in the BIG EAST. Playing against him in practice is going to help me learn to create shots for my teammates when I am on the court as well as help me defensively."

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »
deja vu

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »
just once, i'd like to coach tell us what HE has to do to make the team a winner.

LJSA

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 05:10:21 AM »
I'm going with Rasheem King or Lamont Samuels.

Actually, scratch those guys. I've changed my prediction to the recently-back-in-the-news Tyrone Hanson.