Rivals Says Norm is on the hot Seat !

• 12 replies
Rivals Says Norm is on the hot Seat !
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:38:47 AM »
The question was: Which coach is on the hottest seat entering the season?

And 3 out of  4 writers pick Coach Norm Roberts, I will take any publicity we can get at St.Johns , If Norm does a good coaching job he will get even more Pub for turning nothing into something let's hope he can make a lot of people eat there words!

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=873485

Greg Anthony

I have to say that picking which coach is on the hottest seat is sort of like Lay's potato chips. Betcha can't pick just one! For me it comes down to a small list of criteria.

First, is it a basketball school? Second, do you have the things in place to be competitive, i.e. great conference, location, TV exposure, history and tradition? Third, have you had enough time to put your stamp on the program? Fourth, can you recruit?

Well after carefully looking at the list and checking it twice, I come up with Norm Roberts from St. John's.

Now to be fair, the Big East has become a power conference unlike any other. But St. John's doesn't have the facilities to compete with the beasts of the Big East. But the most telling stat about a program that was once a proud representative of this conference and where making it to the Big Dance was an afterthought is this: Since Roberts has been at the helm the Red Storm has made it to the conference tournament only once. I think Roberts is a fine man and a good coach, but his time at St. John's can only be described as unsuccessful.

Mike Huguenin

I think it's Norm Roberts at St. John's.

This once-proud program is foundering and has fallen far out of the national consciousness. League coaches are talking about getting nine or 10 teams into the NCAA tournament – and the Red Storm are not in that picture. St. John's was 11-19 last season, including 5-13 in the Big East.

Given the amount of returning talent in the league, it's hard to see the Red Storm improving on that league record. Roberts, who was hired off Kansas' staff because of his recruiting ties on the East Coast, is 19 games under .500 overall with the Red Storm and 26 games under .500 in Big East play in his four seasons.

St. John's has qualified for the league tourney just once in his tenure. Unless the Red Storm miraculously turns it around this season, we'll be talking about what a new St. John's coach needs to do next year at this time.

Andrew Skwara

No high-major coach has more to worry about than St. John's leader Norm Roberts heading into this season, at least not in terms of job security.

Northwestern's Bill Carmody is certainly on the hot seat. The guy has won only three Big Ten games in the last two seasons. But Carmody can probably save his job by finishing in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten. That's not all that tough. The bottom half of Big Ten is loaded with mediocre teams.

Roberts faces a far more daunting task because St. John's is in the Big East. The 16-team league has never looked so deep or so difficult. There is talk of 10 Big East teams going to the NCAA tournament, and St. John's, which was picked 14th in the league preseason poll, isn't one of them. The chances of the Red Storm even going to the NIT look slim at best, and Roberts will likely need to reach the postseason in order to return next year. Basically, it's the worst possible time for a Big East coach to have his job on the line.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:39:17 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Re: Rivals Says Norm is on the hot Seat !
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:59:30 AM »
Hard to make an arguement against.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

sjd8886

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 10:07:48 AM »
he's been on the hot seat for about 2 years, so this isn't really news...and also doesnt mean anything since we know the admin could care less about pressure from the media

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »
When your the basketball coach at St John's Fr Harrington thinks the hot seat means you must be a hot coach and you et an extension.

Norm's smiling all the way to the bank

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »
When your the basketball coach at St John's Fr Harrington thinks the hot seat means you must be a hot coach and you et an extension.

Congrats you are the winner for the first person to mention Fr. Harrington in this thread. SJD was close but no cigar mentioning the administration but no harry. Next prize goes out to "Year 5" shout out!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 12:42:54 PM »
Do I get a free JJ t-shirt ? :)

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »
Hard to make an arguement against.

its not hard..   its IMPOSSIBLE

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 08:17:32 PM »
if norm didn't lose his job after his dismal performance over the last four years culminated by an eleven win season in 07-08...he won't lose it this year either. 

sjd8886

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 12:59:20 AM »

Congrats you are the winner for the first person to mention Fr. Harrington in this thread. SJD was close but no cigar mentioning the administration but no harry. Next prize goes out to "Year 5" shout out!

if you dont want those shout outs, u should be deleting the norm on the hot seat threads whenever u see them...its unfortunate but the old news is still new news...the comments made 3 years ago are warranted to be repeated if they are still applicable

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:01:01 AM »

if you dont want those shout outs, u should be deleting the norm on the hot seat threads whenever u see them...its unfortunate but the old news is still new news...the comments made 3 years ago are warranted to be repeated if they are still applicable

Thanks for the advice but I was joking. You are always allowed to voice your opinions here no matter what the viewpoint. We'll all never agree but thats part of the fun discussing and debating all the issues. I do find these type of articles pretty off the wall though considering we haven't tipped off the season yet.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 10:06:30 AM »
I think Norm's going to be on the hot seat until he gets over .500 overall.  Only thing is, if he does it this year, next year's Big East might be rougher - with more talent from Seton Hall and Rutgers.  I think Coach Gottfried in Alabama actually has a hotter seat - higher expectations.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 02:32:18 PM »
I wonder if Al Skinner is on the hot seat , if so he would be my choice for a head coach he knows how to do a lot with a little meaning he can taking 3 stars recruits and take them to the NCAA , plus make them NBA ready . Since we are working with limited funds  and above average facilities at St.johns he would be a great choice.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:33:26 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 06:12:05 PM »
I wonder if Al Skinner is on the hot seat , if so he would be my choice for a head coach he knows how to do a lot with a little meaning he can taking 3 stars recruits and take them to the NCAA , plus make them NBA ready . Since we are working with limited funds  and above average facilities at St.johns he would be a great choice.
He's one of those coaches that gets credit for his development, but no criticism for his recruiting. It may finally be catching up to him-and John Beilein. The college coaches get to be GM and head basketball coach. There's no one else to blame for player procurement.

if norm didn't lose his job after his dismal performance over the last four years culminated by an eleven win season in 07-08...he won't lose it this year either. 
That's logical. Realistically, they'll probably pull a Providence and let him be the coach through this sophomore class' junior year. They'll probably be happy with 13-14 wins this year and 17 next year.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:13:23 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »