new radio lineup

• 2 replies
new radio lineup
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »
from redstormsports.com:

Bloomberg Radio To Carry All Red Storm Basketball Games Live In 2008-09

Veteran announcer John Minko joins Tarik Turner on 1130-AM WBBR for all broadcasts.

Nov. 11, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's Athletics unveiled a new radio broadcast partnership on Tuesday, announcing Bloomberg Radio (WBBR 1130-AM) as the exclusive flagship station for Red Storm men's basketball. Each St. John's basketball game will air live on Bloomberg during the 2008-09 season, while fans throughout the country and the world will also be able to listen live on the Internet via www.redstormsports.com.

"We are extremely pleased for St. John's to have a true `flagship' for the first time in more than 20 years, where each Red Storm basketball game can be heard live on one radio station," said STJ Director of Athletics Chris Monasch. "To continue our agreement with Bloomberg is exciting for St. John's Athletics, and the University as a whole. The 50,000-watt strength of its signal will carry the broadcast to many of our fans, and to be affiliated with the leading business radio station in the nation is outstanding. We also welcome John Minko, a long time New York radio talent to our broadcast booth."

Veteran radio broadcaster Minko begins his first season taking over play-by-play duties, bringing fans all the action from courtside. "The Mink" has served as a sports anchor at WFAN 660-AM since the station's inception in 1987, providing up-to-the-minute sports news and updates for some of WFAN's most popular radio programs. He has been the play-by-play announcer for Army football since 2000.

"I am very happy to be on board, and to be a part of one of the storied programs in all of college basketball," said Minko.

Color analyst Tarik Turner returns to the radio team for his sixth-consecutive season. A former Red Storm standout on the hardwood and a 1998 University grad, Turner adds perspective from the standpoint of a former St. John's basketball player in the BIG EAST Conference.

"I am excited to begin another promising season at St. John's, and I look forward to an improved group under Coach Roberts' leadership," said Turner. "I am looking forward to working all the games with `The Mink' as well."

As always, game broadcasts will feature interviews, scouting reports, keys to the game and an overview of the day's matchup in the pregame show, which airs 25 minutes before tip. The 15-minute postgame show will feature interviews, stats and analysis.

Re: new radio lineup
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
The Mink Man!

Re: new radio lineup
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Newsie.
This will undoubtedly cause Francesa to discuss his alma mater's basketball program more often than he has in recent years.
In this case, scrutiny can only be a good thing.