Would it be good?

• 15 replies

gonzalo

Would it be good?
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »
Practice in several places, like Pitt.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/11/29/pitt-making-a-home-in-new-jersey/

The Panthers practiced at St. Anthony Saturday during their stay for the Legends Classic.

“It worked out good,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said of the practice. “It was closer to the hotel [in Jersey City]. We always try to do that. We practice at the Gauchos Gym when we’re in New York. We’ve practiced at St. Benedicts [in Newark].”

Re: Would it be good?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:25:06 AM »

The Panthers practiced at St. Anthony Saturday during their stay for the Legends Classic.

“It worked out good,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said of the practice. “It was closer to the hotel [in Jersey City]. We always try to do that. We practice at the Gauchos Gym when we’re in New York. We’ve practiced at St. Benedicts [in Newark].”

this can't hurt recruiting either. Good exposure. Is this legal?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »
georgetown practices at xavier when they are playing at MSG

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »

this can't hurt recruiting either. Good exposure. Is this legal?

It's a legal way to funnel some money into a good program.  It could really help foster a relationship between a hs coach and players and the program/head coach.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 04:27:51 PM »
I went to Christ The King from 92-96 when Lamar Odom and Erick Barkley and Craig Claxton were all on the team. During my last 2 years there, Syracuse had practiced there. Obviously it didn't help with any of the 3 mentioned. However, I am sure they at least considered them as an option.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:01:11 PM by Johnny4Life »

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »
I went to Christ The King from 92-96 when Lamar Odom and Erick Barkley and Craig Claxton were all on the team. During my last 2 years there, Syrause had practiced there. Obviously it didn't help with any of the 3 mentioned. However, I am sure they at least considered them as an option.

I think it is just another creative advantage that a good coach takes advantage of.  There is nothing wrong with it.  In fact, it is almost dumb for a team like St. John's, located just miles from these schools, not to take advantage of it.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 05:58:41 PM »
Why would St Johns go practice at a local High School gym?

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »

I dont think any one was referring to a local high school gym... but a high school that is out of the local area where they are trying to recruit talent from.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »

To develop relationships with top programs.  How hard would it be for St. John's to hold a few practices a year at CTK, Rice, Xaverian, and/or St. Rays? 

sjd8886

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 06:20:01 PM »
i think theres no reason why we shouldnt have a local TOURNAMENT every year...forget about a single game with a few local schools...play it around christmas time, and have an 8 team tournament with the top 8 schools from the ny area in that year...then you can pick the best teams in ny in a given year from a pool of:

St Johns
Fordham
Syracuse
Hofstra
Columbia
Niagra
Iona
Manhattan
Buffalo
LIU
St Francis

am i forgetting someone?

Randomhero423

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:34:42 PM »
can't have syracuse.  it'd be too complicated with the in conference schedule.

Siena, amd Marist

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 07:07:48 PM »
i think theres no reason why we shouldnt have a local TOURNAMENT every year...forget about a single game with a few local schools...play it around christmas time, and have an 8 team tournament with the top 8 schools from the ny area in that year...then you can pick the best teams in ny in a given year from a pool of:

St Johns
Fordham
Syracuse
Hofstra
Columbia
Niagra
Iona
Manhattan
Buffalo
LIU
St Francis

am i forgetting someone?

It should just be NYC teams.  You forgot Wagner.

STJ
Fordham
Columbia
St. Francis
LIU
Wagner
Manhattan

There are too many teams in the NY area:  West Point, Canisius, Niagara, St. Bonaventure, Colgate, Cornell, Albany, Siena, and Marist are schools you forgot in NY. 

Maybe to make it an even eight team playoff, they can invite the D-2 CUNY champ from the year before.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 07:33:50 PM »
Maybe to make it an even eight team playoff, they can invite the D-2 CUNY champ from the year before.

or nyu for tradition sake

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »

Duke practiced at the Nets facility last week.

Pitt is an out-of-town program coming in for a day or two. If Norm Roberts was recruiting players from out of the NYC area or attempting to strengthen the St. John's brand outside of the local NY area, it would be more of a comparable situation.

gonzalo

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 09:25:16 AM »

To develop relationships with top programs.  How hard would it be for St. John's to hold a few practices a year at CTK, Rice, Xaverian, and/or St. Rays? 

I agree to Marillac about this.

And, is not Alumni Hall a High School gym?  ;)

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »

I agree to Marillac about this.

And, is not Alumni Hall a High School gym?  ;)

Can a high school team practice at College gym? If so, than by all means, St Johns University should host a ton of local HS teams