Stock Market

• 15 replies
Stock Market
« on: December 02, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »
I know little about the stock market, but Im looking to put some cash in. Any suggestions on stocks I should keep my eye on? Anything particular I should stay away from?

Re: Stock Market
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »
I'd invest my money in JohnnyJungle.com I hear they are doing big things!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:10:29 PM »
I know little about the stock market, but Im looking to put some cash in. Any suggestions on stocks I should keep my eye on? Anything particular I should stay away from?

check out ETFs (exchange traded funds). but whatever you invest in, scale into the market.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
CDs.  I would not invest in the stock market right now.  IMO there is more fallout to come.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 04:41:38 PM »
you always have the ultrashorts

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »

Personally I see the best return on your investment would be for you to buy the drinks at the next BEB/JJ gathering.
At least you can laugh while your "savings" go to zero!

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:34:46 PM »

Personally I see the best return on your investment would be for you to buy the drinks at the next BEB/JJ gathering.
At least you can laugh while your "savings" go to zero!

Youre probably right, or maybe I should just put my money into some high priced Super Bowl boxes at various bars.
What do you guys think about something like IBM?

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 02:49:48 AM »

Marco, stay away from the stock market.  I invest my money in Tax Lien Certificates.  The laws vary by state, but in Kentucky I get a 12% return.  Ohio is 18% but you have to have a lot of money to invest to be able to purchase.  You'll never see that kind of return in the stock market right now and there is no risk.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:53:31 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »
Coffee can.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 10:50:36 AM »

Marco, stay away from the stock market.  I invest my money in Tax Lien Certificates.  The laws vary by state, but in Kentucky I get a 12% return.  Ohio is 18% but you have to have a lot of money to invest to be able to purchase.  You'll never see that kind of return in the stock market right now and there is no risk.

Marco... I am licensed investment professional. Please do not take Marillac's advice unless you fully understand the product/investment. Any good financial professional would first ask you on what is your time horizon and tolerance for risk (volatility) before recommending anything to you.

Therefore, if your looking to "trade" rather than "invest", the opportunities lie in treasury bonds, muni bonds, preferred stocks and ultra etf's (if you can take the volatility and willing to lose your money). However, in order to trade, you really need to know what your doing.

If your looking to invest (time horizon of 3 plus years in my book) then there are other opportunities.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:51:15 AM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »
jump

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 08:41:46 AM »

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
jump

????

Ya I thought that was some Wall St lingo so I didnt say anything at the risk of looking stupider than I already am. Any idea what is meant by that? "jump"

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »
jump

????

Ya I thought that was some Wall St lingo so I didnt say anything at the risk of looking stupider than I already am. Any idea what is meant by that? "jump"

I am hoping it is not a morbid reference to the unfortunate souls who have jumped out windows due to stock market losses..

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
jump

????

I am hoping it is not a morbid reference to the unfortunate souls who have jumped out windows due to stock market losses..

Hope all you want.   :D

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:25 PM »