Milk

• 20 replies

LJSA

Milk
« on: December 20, 2008, 08:22:52 PM »
I know some of you probably hate/are creeped out by homosexuals, but I would urge everyone to see "Milk." I saw it last night, and it's the best movie I've seen in a while. Great performances all around. Whatever awards it wins it deserves.

Re: Milk
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:24:33 PM »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »
I know some of you probably hate/are creeped out by homosexuals.

You say that like there's not something wrong with that.

LJSA

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:52:23 PM »

Sounds like a Seinfeld reference, but if it isn't, I didn't want to attack anyone for their ignorance or adherence to twisted interpretations of the Bible. Just wanted to let everyone know it was a good movie.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »
Whats Milk about? Never heard of it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

LJSA

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 09:00:03 PM »

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 01:01:19 AM »
if i had to recommend a movie...it would be slumdog millionaire.  best picture of the year.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »
if i had to recommend a movie...it would be slumdog millionaire.  best picture of the year.

We just saw a commercial for that on TV. Had never heard of it before but the trailer looked real good.

The best thing about award season now for me is my girlfriend gets all these free dvd's in the mail from the studios because they try to get all the SAG members to vote for their movies etc for the sag awards.

I'm hoping slumdog comes in the mail in the next week because it's not playing anywhere near me

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »
writers guild members also got plenty of free dvd's.  now we just get free movie admission as do sag members.

i was hoping aftra would have merged with sag...for the benefits alone.  unfortunately, sag voted it down.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »
writers guild members also got plenty of free dvd's.  now we just get free movie admission as do sag members.

i was hoping aftra would have merged with sag...for the benefits alone.  unfortunately, sag voted it down.

She gets the screening invites also. Some are pretty good because they have the stars of the movie there afterward for Q&A and some mingling.

My gf is a member of aftra I think also but I dont think she gets any of the free stuff from being a member. Also I think she gets paid less of Aftra stuff as opposed to sag.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
i get nothing from aftra.  that's why i wanted the merger.

i also go to some of the screenings.   

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »

Sounds like a Seinfeld reference, but if it isn't, I didn't want to attack anyone for their ignorance or adherence to twisted interpretations of the Bible. Just wanted to let everyone know it was a good movie.

MILK was excellent movie...

Sidenote - Do you really believe that someone who is creeped out by homosexuality is ignorant or that some who follows their faith's believe is ignorant too..?

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »

Sidenote - Do you really believe that someone who is creeped out by homosexuality is ignorant or that some who follows their faith's believe is ignorant too..?

Great question.  I think that if someone is creeped out by homosexuality WITHOUT using religion as an excuse just really hasn't been or hasn't allowed themselves to be around homosexuals.

Those that are creeped out by homosexuality because of religious beliefs just need to use common sense instead of simply pointing to scripture.  Treat people the way that you want to be treated.  We are all human beings.

What I REALLY don't understand are people who say that homosexuality is a choice.

Who would CHOOSE to be homosexual?  Why would anyone want to put themselves through all the BS that homosexuals face and why would anyone want to be subjected to only having 10% of the population attracted to them?  It doesn't make any sense...
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 01:52:15 PM »

Great question.  I think that if someone is creeped out by homosexuality WITHOUT using religion as an excuse just really hasn't been or hasn't allowed themselves to be around homosexuals.

Those that are creeped out by homosexuality because of religious beliefs just need to use common sense instead of simply pointing to scripture.  Treat people the way that you want to be treated.  We are all human beings.

What I REALLY don't understand are people who say that homosexuality is a choice.

Who would CHOOSE to be homosexual?  Why would anyone want to put themselves through all the BS that homosexuals face and why would anyone want to be subjected to only having 10% of the population attracted to them?  It doesn't make any sense...

So by saying its not a choice are you saying that people who are homosexual have something genetically different than people who are heterosexual..?

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 03:30:23 PM »
I believe so.  It certainly doesn't make any sense that homosexuality is a conscious choice, in my opinion. 

Why would anyone choose to put themselves in a classification of people who 10% of human-kind are attracted to and who face so many hardships?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

pmg911

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »
I believe so.  It certainly doesn't make any sense that homosexuality is a conscious choice, in my opinion. 

Why would anyone choose to put themselves in a classification of people who 10% of human-kind are attracted to and who face so many hardships?

This is obviously just my opinion but I do think its a choice..

I just think that if it were genetic with todays science they could figure where the difference is...

Please let me be clear about this...  I have ZERO iussue with anyone who homosexual. Its not my cup of tea but to each their own...

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »
sean penn did his usual great job.

i can't weigh in on whether it's a choice.  maybe a predisposition.  i mean, some people are attracted to shoes.

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
This might deserve it's own thread but...Frank Langella deserves the Oscar for his portrayal of Nixon in Frost/Nixon.

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »
langella was great...then there's heath ledger.  he was great as the joker.

i haven't seen "the wrestler"...but there's also oscar buzz over mickey rourke. 

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 12:29:47 PM »
MILK won the NY Film Critics Award for Best Film and Sean Penn won for Best Sctor and Josh Broling won for Best Supporting Actor