Durand Scott - SG - Rice HS - New York, NY - MIAMI U

• 101 replies
Re: Durand Scott - SG - Rice HS - New York, NY
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 01:53:28 PM »
So how about that Durand Scott......

Well if Omari's commitment is imminent then his eliminating SJU, while unfortunate, is not that big a deal.  There's only one more ride left for this class until after the season and any transfers and the guard stock for 09/10 looks fine (Booth, Stith, Edmundson, Horne, Lawrence).  Need a SF first, at this point it's just Kennedy and Roberts.

You are very off base. Omari told me that he is campaigning to have Scott join him at St. John's. So Omari's commitment might increase his interest in St. John's. Scott will also definitely be visiting St. John's soon unlike other reports have indicated. However Scott does not have St. John's high on his list but St. John's is definitely in his schools of interest.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 01:54:46 PM »

Well if Omari's commitment is imminent then his eliminating SJU, while unfortunate, is not that big a deal.  There's only one more ride left for this class until after the season and any transfers and the guard stock for 09/10 looks fine (Booth, Stith, Edmundson, Horne, Lawrence).  Need a SF first, at this point it's just Kennedy and Roberts.

You are very off base. Omari told me that he is campaigning to have Scott join him at St. John's. So Omari's commitment might increase his interest in St. John's. Scott will also definitely be visiting St. John's soon unlike other reports have indicated. However Scott does not have St. John's high on his list but St. John's is definitely in his schools of interest.

How many schollies we have after Omari signs?

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2008, 02:00:49 PM »

I disagree. If Omari comes, 09/10 is very balanced. The 12 would have 2 of each position plus Rob a 3/4 plus 5th guard as above. Go for best player avail.
Molloy '71

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »
We would have 1 left assuming Stith and Omari both sign their letter of intents.

A good way to keep track of all of this is use the Scholarship Distribution Table. I will sticky one of these to each of the recruiting boards as well. However it can be found stickied here in the main section of the chat....

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=928.0

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2008, 02:06:32 PM »
We would have 1 left assuming Stith and Omari both sign their letter of intents.

A good way to keep track of all of this is use the Scholarship Distribution Table. I will sticky one of these to each of the recruiting boards as well. However it can be found stickied here in the main section of the chat....

Im starting to doubt Stith getting a schollie

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2008, 02:09:54 PM »

LoL why because he actually gave a solid verbal much earlier than we are all used to in recent years? Every report I hear about him is very good. He has done very well in AAU ball this summer too.

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 02:11:39 PM »

LoL why because he actually gave a solid verbal much earlier than we are all used to in recent years? Every report I hear about him is very good. He has done very well in AAU ball this summer too.

I was thinking that better players might want to come after Omari verbals leaving Stith odd man out. Wishful thinking I guess

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »

I guess our definitions of off base differ.  I was simply stating an opinion.  Off base is usually considered synonymous with out of place and I don't think my comments were such.

At this point it is also my opinion that the staff's priorities usurp Omari's campaigning.  I would also say that RT hasn't shown any 3 type skills post injury . . . yet.  If he shows them this year then I would change that opinion.  I would also state that if Edmundson shows some PG skills then I would change my opinion of whether we should hope Stith's commitment sticks or not but at this time PG looks like a shallow spot and therefore Stith is important especially since I don't see any other great PG's on the list.  With all that stated I will stick by my opinion that absent any transfers a wing should be the priority right now with what appears to be the one remaining schollie. 

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »

I was thinking that better players might want to come after Omari verbals leaving Stith odd man out. Wishful thinking I guess

totally understand the logic. Perhaps you might prove to be correct however but right now lets not be pushing Stith out the door.

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 02:22:45 PM »

I disagree. If Omari comes, 09/10 is very balanced. The 12 would have 2 of each position plus Rob a 3/4 plus 5th guard as above. Go for best player avail.

Is Roberts really a 3?  That's another question.  If he's not the need for either Baskin, Parrom or Lance becomes far greater.

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 04:13:06 PM »
i agree about not pushing stith out the door.  i'd hate to see a repeat of the time we pushed gary payton out the door for someone named broadnax...

Poison

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2008, 12:24:12 PM »
UConn is away from NY?

Some kids think getting away is better just because it's away.

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2008, 12:26:06 PM »
Many places are saying UConn or Xavier for Scott....

kob24

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
no uconn or Miami not xavier trust me

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »

does this mean st. johns is the clear leader?

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »
R U sayin STJ is the leader for this kid? I have only heard great things about Scott. Great leader and comes thru in the clutch..... so what's the word KOB.

kob24

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2008, 11:05:12 PM »
no I'm sorry I wrote it wrong I meant uconn or Miami for him but not xavier. St.john has a huge shot because of Oswald cross now on the staff but Durand does want to go away. Having Oz on the staff is huge for him. Same as Jordan Williams who is very cool with Oz.

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2008, 11:12:37 PM »
I would love to have Scott join us but if Williams decides to come aboard that would cool. Then the question would be can Norm coach that team to 18 plus victories?

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2008, 07:56:24 AM »

He's saying Uconn and Miami are his leaders...not Xavier.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2008, 08:49:02 AM »

He's saying Uconn and Miami are his leaders...not Xavier.

I think we are better off focusing on the athletes that have us as  favorites.  Right now  Scott is wishfull thinking.  Parrom has a real interest and talent.  It should be easier to sway a kid from the likes of Xavier and South Carolina. Than competing againts perrenial powers for Scott.  We should make the same push for Parrom that we made for lawrence.  One thing is for sure. Lawrence will be on it. I don't care who u r, He has the advantage. He'll be sleeping next to the guy! c'mon Omari, first thing in the morning last thing at night ;D  :-* ;D
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.