Importance of next 5 games

• 36 replies
Importance of next 5 games
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:57:36 AM »
We all know the last 4 games were murder.
4 Games in a row against top 20 teams without our
ONLY Point guard, we're lucky we went 1-3.

But the next 5 games with hopefully Boothe back are huge.

WVA away I will wrote off. But the other 4 are all winnable, and 3 of 4 are home.

If we go 3-2 the next 5, it will take most of the sting of the last 7 games (1-6)(1-5 without Boothe ) away.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:18:55 PM by Dave »
Molloy '71

Re: Importance of next 5 games
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »
No offense yo. But evrybdy should be lookin at the impotance of the next 5 year, not the next 5 game.

That the tru cycle we in.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:29:25 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

sjd8886

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
we got embarrassed every big east game minus ND, which, its seems, was a fluke

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
No offense yo. But evrybdy should be lookin at the impotance of the next 5 year, not the next 5 game.

I believe it was you saying high school kids don't remember more than 4 years ago in terms of college basketball. So I think its pretty important to win now rather than forget about right now. I'd rather win and lure better and more recruits here a la Lance Stephenson.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »

I believe it was you saying high school kids don't remember more than 4 years ago in terms of college basketball. So I think its pretty important to win now rather than forget about right now. I'd rather win and lure better and more recruits here a la Lance Stephenson.

The program need to be completely rebuilt.

Its another three to five year cycle that gotta start after March.

This last cycle has not worked and show no sign of workin.

One playa aint gonna make no diffrence.

Need to lay the groundwork fo a successful 'gram.

'Cause right now this here is a buildin witout no foundation. Its teeterin'. Y'all best believe.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:50:00 PM by Choz4Life »

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:53:40 PM »

'Cause right now this here is a buildin witout no foundation. Its teeterin'. Y'all best believe.

Could you further explain by what you mean by "cause right now this here is buildin without no foundation"

I think we have a foundation but I don't think we have walls or a roof yet. We have some roots/ties in a lot of local AAU programs with kids who are coming out in the next 2-3 seasons. Cross and Young help with that a great deal. I think we have a good base of players but are missing the stud(Lance).

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »

Could you further explain by what you mean by "cause right now this here is buildin without no foundation"

I think we have a foundation but I don't think we have walls or a roof yet. We have some roots/ties in a lot of local AAU programs with kids who are coming out in the next 2-3 seasons. Cross and Young help with that a great deal. I think we have a good base of players but are missing the stud(Lance).

The foundation of any 'gram is the coach. And Coach show he just aint ready fo prime time. He had five year and he just aint got it done in any facets.

Gotta say this in a nice way.... but we dont got the talent to compete today or tomorrow. And aint nuthin suggest the playaz got the guidance to form a less-talented but cohesive unit like a lot of the top mid-major team do.

Plus the recruitin is all mess up. Y'all got this crazy bubble wit like eight or nine playaz in the soph class. Y'all really dont know how much that mess evrytin up. Or how Coach gonna pressue some peeps to transfer like he do before. And trust me, he straight up do. No way to run a 'gram.

Luv Oz and K, but it the coach who seal the deal. Cant stake yo future on grad assistant and video coordinator.

'Cause when y'all mention St. John around the high hoops scene when Jarvis was king, y'all got anger comin out. Now when y'all mention St. John, y'all get nuthin but sadness and snickers.

Tear it down. And build it back up.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:06:22 PM by Choz4Life »

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »
Plus it straight up sad when yo best playaz is from Delware and Pittsburgh.

St. John is the city. But right now, the city aint St. John.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 05:12:26 PM »

I don't find that sad in the least bit. If you would like us to be of higher interest of kids in the city that is fair but to call it sad that DJ and Paris are here isn't right.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »

I don't find that sad in the least bit. If you would like us to be of higher interest of kids in the city that is fair but to call it sad that DJ and Paris are here isn't right.

Who said this yo?

"It pains me to see guys from New York City wearing other uniforms."

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
I believe in histry.

I believe it show what work and what dont.

And I believe that St. John has showed through its 100 year that it is good when it got some hardcore NYC playaz.

The fact that we got only one starter from NY. The fact that we only got three playaz from NYC. And the fact that we got just as manay playaz from Pennsylvania as playaz from NYC is straight up sad.

And if y'all dont believe that is a problem, then y'all best hit them histry books.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:42:04 PM by Choz4Life »

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »

i think the foundation is set, but this should have been done in year 1-2. norm is on the right track in recruiting, but fans have run out of patience in year 5. sure, hes been bitten with horrible luck, but you can only pin injury on maybe 1 season at most!

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »

I'm not sure why you are challenging Choz so much in this thread.  He is right on the money. 

We may have a foundation, but it's not a great one and it should have been in place in the first year or two.  To talk about just starting a foundation in year FIVE is just disappointing.

I think even in the unlikely event of us landing Stephenson Norm will mess it up, and then we would lose Mason and Stephenson and suck again.  And how bad are we going to be when we lose Hardy, DJ, Paris, Coker, Burrell, and Boothe after that!  No program can lose that many key players and be good. 

Keeping Norm Roberts around will ruin this program.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:53:54 PM »
The foundation of any 'gram is the coach. And Coach show he just aint ready fo prime time. He had five year and he just aint got it done in any facets.

Gotta say this in a nice way.... but we dont got the talent to compete today or tomorrow. And aint nuthin suggest the playaz got the guidance to form a less-talented but cohesive unit like a lot of the top mid-major team do.

Plus the recruitin is all mess up. Y'all got this crazy bubble wit like eight or nine playaz in the soph class. Y'all really dont know how much that mess evrytin up. Or how Coach gonna pressue some peeps to transfer like he do before. And trust me, he straight up do. No way to run a 'gram.

Luv Oz and K, but it the coach who seal the deal. Cant stake yo future on grad assistant and video coordinator.

'Cause when y'all mention St. John around the high hoops scene when Jarvis was king, y'all got anger comin out. Now when y'all mention St. John, y'all get nuthin but sadness and snickers.

Tear it down. And build it back up.

Someone steals your Bounce and you go all "Marillac" on us? ;)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:02:53 PM »

I'm not sure why you are challenging Choz so much in this thread.  He is right on the money. 

We may have a foundation, but it's not a great one and it should have been in place in the first year or two.  To talk about just starting a foundation in year FIVE is just disappointing.

I think even in the unlikely event of us landing Stephenson Norm will mess it up, and then we would lose Mason and Stephenson and suck again.  And how bad are we going to be when we lose Hardy, DJ, Paris, Coker, Burrell, and Boothe after that!  No program can lose that many key players and be good. 

Keeping Norm Roberts around will ruin this program.

Someone else "ruined" this program. Norm is trying to rebuild it

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 11:09:59 PM »
We all know the last 4 games were murder.
4 Games in a row against top 20 teams without our
ONLY Point guard, we're lucky we went 1-3.

But the next 5 games with hopefully Boothe back are huge.

WVA away I will wrote off. But the other 4 are all winnable, and 3 of 4 are home.

If we go 3-2 the next 5, it will take most of the sting of the last 7 games (1-6)(1-5 without Boothe ) away.

The next 2 games are big.  We need to go 3-2 with wins of over Rutgers, Seton Hall, and either USF or Cincy.  We sure could use Boothe back in the lineup.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 11:15:08 PM »
I hope we win Thursday. Not sure if I am going yet. If I am at the game I will make a fool of myself. If I am home I will even be louder watching on TV. I hope we win and I want to win. However it might be in our best interests to lose and lose badly. Norm has to go. The only way he goes in my opinion is this year. .500 he comes back. 1  game under he comes back. If he goes 15 -17 which I think he will. I think he is back. If he is back next year he is here for a while. Norm has built a foundation, those players who may not be great will improve. We will add 3 big east players and lose only tomas. Next year this same team could make the NIt. With Lance maybe we get an 11 seed. That is not good enough in year 6 or 7. Then we start over when all our players graduate, and really suck again. If Norm wasn't fired when the team sucked, he is not going to fired when the team is decent. 18- 13 isn't great but that is what I think our record will be next year with Norm. I hope I am making a little bit of sense, my main point is if he is not fired this year we are stuck with him for atleast 3 more years. Our only hope (I can't believe I am writing this) is to lose and lose badly the rest of the season.   

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »
as usual, choz nails it.  he's a basketball man as is marillac.  listen to them.

Tha Kid

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 07:56:11 AM »
Some of you on this thread are plain NUTS - mainly dave and baldi.  You talk about this team, program, and coach as if its year 2.  Its year FIVE. This team has NO foundation.  What it has are some good role players like we have ALWAYS had.  Guys like paris, dj, and evans are guys we have ALWAYS mixed in w our studs!   They are guys like reggie jessie, sharif fordham, chudney grey, etc - but not as highly touted as those guys coming out of nyc!  The foundation for st johns has been and NEEDS to be a collection of tough TALENTED new yorkers who play for the school as if they are the new york city militia protecting their turf from invaders - pretenders - kids who thought they were too good to stay in nyc.  They play hard, they play together, and they NEVER give up.  Its cool to mix in a tough kid from philly or pitt or de but the HEART of the team has to be nyc - and talented kids at that. Maybe norm's team would work if he was a good coach but he sucks.  Let's get real.  Anyone who doesn't see that either is blind, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded, or has some sort of agenda.  This is st johns. This is the big east. This is nyc.  This is NOT a job you have the luxury to learn on, but if you're learning on the job, you better learn fast.  Norm hasn't. Anyone who opposes his departure at year's end does not have the program's best interests at heart.
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 07:59:39 AM »
Oh and we have ALWAYS been led by a tough as nails highly rated nyc pg.  And had a backup pg. Or two.  Norm has the backup in malik.
"I drink and I know things"