• 18 replies

kjd01067

Marist Post Game
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:25:55 PM »
Well we won ...

Randomhero423

Re: Marist Post Game
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 11:27:33 PM »
malik boothe, sean evans, paris horne, anthony mason jr. all impressed me a lot today

kjd01067

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:31:49 PM »
A couple of thoughts:

-Mase looked good but was trying to do too much at times
-Larry seemed lost out there most of the time
-Burrell made some big shots to start the game but should have dominated the post
-Geno with 0 assists ??
-DJ with a pretty silent game
-TJ had a solid game from the big man and a nice 3
-Boothe good minutes off the bench to spell Geno
-Horne looked good defensively
-Evans is improving every game
-Coker has some decent post moves but needs to stop hacking

Norm looked good on the sidelines !
-Like the 1-3-1
-Decent sub pattern
-We actually ran acouple plays in the half court

We played an ok game for the freshmans first game at MSG.  Tomorrow will be a test and hopefully everyone shows up to play because we will need all of our guns to beat a srong VT team.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 11:32:43 PM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 11:32:33 PM »
malik boothe, sean evans, paris horne, anthony mason jr. all impressed me a lot today

All 4 of those dudes hustled their balls off today, real happy to see that.  

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 11:34:59 PM »
A couple of thoughts:

-Mase looked good but was trying to do too much at times
-Larry seemed lost out there most of the time
-Burrell made some big shots to start the game but should have dominated the post
-Geno with 0 assists ??
-DJ with a pretty silent game
-TJ had a solid game from the big man and a nice 3
-Boothe good minutes off the bench to spell Geno
-Horne looked good defensively
-Evans is improving every game
-Coker has some decent post moves but needs to stop hacking

Norm looked good on the sidelines !
-Like the 1-3-1
-Decent sub pattern
-We actually ran acouple plays in the half court

We played an ok game for the freshmans first game at MSG.  Tomorrow will be a test and hopefully everyone shows up to play because we will need all of our guns to beat a srong VT team.

agree 100%.  norm's 2nd half was much better than his first. (although the beginning of the 2nd half was horrible)

lawrence really was not good at all today and i truely believe boothe should be the starter by the end of the season

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 11:38:29 PM »
I think that are biggest problem is we dont have any guys who can penetrate.  DJ tries to be that guy but is young and isnt quite sure what to do yet down low.  Geno is a disaster when he pentetrates as he either throws up a ridiculous lay up or throws a real crappy pass that our big men cant handle.  I want to see malik start to drive a lil more, which i think will come with time.  I also think Paris can do it well but he seems very stationary right now.  Someone has to drive to keep the D honest and to help the bigs get some easy hoops.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 11:38:52 PM »
Got back in time fo a lil late night talk.

Clear to see that Mase is the best we got.
Nice to see him penetrate. Sometin he aint do his first years.
Had hisself some sweet dimes to Paris, TJ and JB.

DJ wuz aggressive but he wudnt finishin at all.

Look like Coach gonna be swappin Larry out for D and O. Kid gotta get hisself ready to play D cause we need the brotha and his sweeeet touch.

Malik wuz steady confetti. Didnt show in the stats, but the kid ran the team wit aplomb.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 11:42:35 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:40:50 PM »

yeah choz i should have said that when mase was driving and kickin it was when we really started to roll.  just shows how good we can be if we dont settle for jumpers.  anyone know how many assists he had?

Randomhero423

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:41:30 PM »
I think that are biggest problem is we dont have any guys who can penetrate.  DJ tries to be that guy but is young and isnt quite sure what to do yet down low.  Geno is a disaster when he pentetrates as he either throws up a ridiculous lay up or throws a real crappy pass that our big men cant handle.  I want to see malik start to drive a lil more, which i think will come with time.  I also think Paris can do it well but he seems very stationary right now.  Someone has to drive to keep the D honest and to help the bigs get some easy hoops.

i feel nxt year guys like boothe, AMJR, DJ and wright will all be able to do that.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 11:42:17 PM »
this couldnt have been that good of a game  because sju beat marist, a maac team, by 3.  i was at a few HS games today so i only saw the last 18 minutes of the game.  mase looked great he did a little bit of everything and won the game for sju.  malik was also very good tonight and hes the right guy to run the more athletic team when mason is on the floor.  evans was pretty good overall and seems to be a quick learner.

here is 1 thing i didnt like from norm: zone pressing late in the game which gave up the easy lay in.  most (good) coaches go man-to-man soft press there and that was a big mistake that couldve been very costly.

this team is still pretty bad its pretty hard to argue that norm is the right man for the job.  have to take the win and move on, though.  
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 11:43:11 PM »
wat games?

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
the slam dunk games at the county center (see 09 recruiting board).

also,: 14-2 marist run to start the second half.  if this type of thing didnt happen virtually every game, i would say to let it go.  but this is a pattern that symbolizes one thing and thats the opposing coach making better halftime adjustments than norm roberts. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 01:50:00 AM »
Got back in time fo a lil late night talk.

Had hisself some sweet dimes to Paris, TJ and JB.

DJ wuz aggressive but he wudnt finishin at all.

Look like Coach gonna be swappin Larry out for D and O. Kid gotta get hisself ready to play D cause we need the brotha and his sweeeet touch.

Malik wuz steady confetti. Didnt show in the stats, but the kid ran the team wit aplomb.

I agree with all points. Mase is the man on this team. Kennedy just couldn't finish. Freshman have games this this.
Boothe changed everything for us, and to thank him, Roberts put Lawrence back and we almost lost because of it.

The kids need to learn from this, but so does the coach. It's time Roberts learned something about his guys.

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 03:42:04 AM »
i brought my friend to the game tonight, a longtime st. john's fan, and this was the first time he saw them play this year because he goes to school in florida. He was overall impressed with the athleticism we have compared to years past and he brought up a good point that i agree with completely. We played a Marist team tonight who we are clearly more talented then, but Norm finds a way to completely negate that. Our team looks so bad in a half court offense, especially against a zone. So why don't we start running more and pressing the sh*t out of other teams. We got guys like mase and JB with long arms and guys like malik and paris who can be in your face, on the ball defenders. Plus we see what guys like mase, paris, dj can all do in the open court. Me and my friend agreed to get the most out of this team right now we should just play an up tempo game. Yes you can argue that they are freshman and they will get out of control, but i think in the end we will get better scoring opportunities than we do in a half court game. PLUS with the amount of substituting Norm does already, you can't say we would get tired. He plays a 11/12 man rotation right now. That is what hurts this team. If you are playing an exclusive half court offense (which hurts to watch in this team's case) you can't be taking guys in and out like that. There is no way anyone, especially shooters (Wright) can get in anyt sort of rhythm. So i say let this team run and use their athleticism to try and beat less athletic teams. I mean its probably a little too late now because its almost BE time, but its clear we have an athletic, deep team, but Norm is not utilizing what he has the right way.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »
i brought my friend to the game tonight, a longtime st. john's fan, and this was the first time he saw them play this year because he goes to school in florida. He was overall impressed with the athleticism we have compared to years past and he brought up a good point that i agree with completely. We played a Marist team tonight who we are clearly more talented then, but Norm finds a way to completely negate that. Our team looks so bad in a half court offense, especially against a zone. So why don't we start running more and pressing the sh*t out of other teams. We got guys like mase and JB with long arms and guys like malik and paris who can be in your face, on the ball defenders. Plus we see what guys like mase, paris, dj can all do in the open court. Me and my friend agreed to get the most out of this team right now we should just play an up tempo game. Yes you can argue that they are freshman and they will get out of control, but i think in the end we will get better scoring opportunities than we do in a half court game. PLUS with the amount of substituting Norm does already, you can't say we would get tired. He plays a 11/12 man rotation right now. That is what hurts this team. If you are playing an exclusive half court offense (which hurts to watch in this team's case) you can't be taking guys in and out like that. There is no way anyone, especially shooters (Wright) can get in anyt sort of rhythm. So i say let this team run and use their athleticism to try and beat less athletic teams. I mean its probably a little too late now because its almost BE time, but its clear we have an athletic, deep team, but Norm is not utilizing what he has the right way.

He starts Geno and Jasuloines. How can we run with them? Norm is too dumb to do anything that makes sense.
Right now, the best thng he can do for us is resign in March. Obviously, early March.

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »
this game had a lot of ups and downs.

I thought Mason looked a step faster than everyone on the court

Nice to see our big men finally show some midrange game. JB actually was warming up using the glass in warm ups....i really want to see that be developed because it looked good

Geno didn't have any assists surprising but he got to line 10 times which was nice.

Larry and DJ non existent

Sean Evans is continuing to surprise me....he doesn't look half bad but still commits silly fouls but that one block he had was sick!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
would love to see more of Boothe...we're obviously not winning this year might as well let him develop.

Larry continues to disappear...he needs to develop a scorer's mentality on the court...in other words...if you give me half a step I'm gonna let it fly...he also has to demand the ball and take it to the hoop as well...he's got too good of a shot to hide in the corner.

Evans...looks like a different player.  He must have been really nervous at the start of the season.  Definitely some potential.

Mason...WOW!!! Didn't know he could pass like that...single handedly carried the team...I think he earned his starting spot back.

And can Norm stop pulling the air out of the ball against an inferior opponent!!!!!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 01:23:04 PM »
we also made more free throws than they attempted

16-21

to there

9-14

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 01:31:47 PM »
only 8 three point attempts as a team too......hmmmm what a concept i like it