Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies
Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »
Harkless takes an unofficial visit to St Johns on Sept 2nd. Maybe the student body will get on this kid?

Will school even be in session?

I have no idea, but at real college basketball programs that wouldnt matter. Where does St Johns fit in? I guess they cant take recruits to ESPN Zone anymore

Well ummm STJ is a commuter school for starters, always has been always will.  For the 3k kids on campus thats a fraction of the population.  I'm willing to bet a kid visiting Kentucky, Duke, UNC or anyplace else with school not in session will have the same impact.  If you want to debate student turnout during school I have no leg to stand on there.  When chanting for Tyler Jones is the best example of student involvement things are bad no question.

Now instead of ESPNZone maybe he can visit Idiots on North Ave and see all the bars down the street.....oh wait.  They closed about a decade ago and there is pretty much one place standing on North Ave all the way across town :)

Cluess isnt having the same trouble landing recruits as Lavin is

Excuse my ignorance as I'm not a grizzled veteran on this board.  Its pretty obvious your an Iona fan.  Grad I'm assuming as well.  So where does the STJ connection come into play?

Yes, went to Iona, grew up a St Johns fan. Went to High School right down the road and played for the same HS Coach as Kevin Fitzpatrick,Steve Shurina and Cavataio.  ;)

Is there an IONA message board or fan site where they are going gaga over Cluess?

Certainly is an Iona Message board and also a MAAC board. Alot of diehards out there, you'd be suprised. I was
http://ionahoops.proboards.com/index.cgi

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
Harkless takes an unofficial visit to St Johns on Sept 2nd. Maybe the student body will get on this kid?

I have no idea, but at real college basketball programs that wouldnt matter. Where does St Johns fit in? I guess they cant take recruits to ESPN Zone anymore

Well ummm STJ is a commuter school for starters, always has been always will.  For the 3k kids on campus thats a fraction of the population.  I'm willing to bet a kid visiting Kentucky, Duke, UNC or anyplace else with school not in session will have the same impact.  If you want to debate student turnout during school I have no leg to stand on there.  When chanting for Tyler Jones is the best example of student involvement things are bad no question.

Now instead of ESPNZone maybe he can visit Idiots on North Ave and see all the bars down the street.....oh wait.  They closed about a decade ago and there is pretty much one place standing on North Ave all the way across town :)

Did the LA Player of the Year just sign with Iona?

Mike Glover might be better than most of St Johns' forwards. Also Scott Macahdo might be the starting PG

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
Harkless takes charge of recruiting: Maurice Harkless’ list of eight (St. John’s, Rutgers, Maryland, North Carolina State, Memphis, Florida, Cincinnati and Arizona) remains the same. One difference is how he is going about the process. The 6-foot-8 small forward from Jamaica, Queens, who initially committed to Connecticut, is organizing his visits, such as the official he will take to Maryland on Sept. 2 and the unofficial to St. John’s on Sept. 18.

Basically, the South Kent-bound Harkless is handling his own recruiting, a decision made jointly by Harkless and advisor Nate Blue. Blue is still there to assist, but felt it was a necessary step so Harkless is sure to be comfortable with the school he selects. Harkless calls coaches and they have now been told to contact him directly, instead of Blue.

“It’s a part of becoming a man -- making your own decisions,” Harkless said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/zach_braziller/braziller_recruiting_roundup_jack_EcLN5CEG5qJpfaB1ZksogP

Poison

« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2010, 09:38:47 AM »

Did the LA Player of the Year just sign with Iona?

Mike Glover might be better than most of St Johns' forwards. Also Scott Macahdo might be the starting PG

Easy to say that Iona has better players than we do. Yet, last year, when it came time for the Gaels to show what they were made of against Siena, they did just that, and the answer was not much.

Put last year's SJU team in the MAAC, and they'd probably win it. After 6 six years of Norm Roberts, that's about the best thing you could say about his progress. Kind of sad.

Additionally, I think it's nuts to compare Cluess' recruiting to Lavin's. Lavin has no room left.
He had one spot open, and he didn't fill it with a 24 year old junior that couldn't get into Seton Hall as a bball player.

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »
HARKLESS SETS UNOFFICIALS

Maurice Harkless, a 6-8 wing from Queens, will visit St. Johns (Sept. 2), Rutgers (Sept. 4) and Maryland (Sept. 5) unofficially.

He will then take an official to Oregon Sept. 17.

Harkless opted to switch his first official to Oregon from Maryland.

He is also considering Florida State, Florida, Cincinnati and Arizona.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/08/18/johnson-to-arizona-harkless-sets-unofficials/

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2010, 02:02:12 PM »
From Nate Blue: Baylor and Kansas have formally offered @moe_harkless ... Both project him as a two- and done prospect.

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Per Zach Braziller.... 

"@moe_harkless tells me he plans to visit Kansas and Baylor, who both recently offered, and he has added them to his list."

[tweet]http://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/21939245327[/tweet]

More competition.

Poison

« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »
I hope he waits until the season starts before making a decision. We could really pick up some momentum with a strong start.

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »
I firmly believe that Mo will be St. John's first '11 recruit signed sealed and delivered. I know that I'm not the only person with knowledge of his recruitment that feels that way.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »
I firmly believe that Mo will be St. John's first '11 recruit signed sealed and delivered. I know that I'm not the only person with knowledge of his recruitment that feels that way.

He better land someone soon. A top talent and a local kills 2 birds with 1 scholly

gonzalo

« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2010, 02:51:16 PM »

It would be an excellent beginning.

kjd01067

« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »

Care to elaborate on this more?

« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »

Im not sure how I could elaborate more.

« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »

I think he's asking you what do you know that would allow you to make such a statement.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:58:47 PM by Mparty7441 »

kjd01067

« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »

What knowledge of his recruitment would lead you to believe he is coming to St. John's?  I have read a lot about him and his recruitment since decommitting and I think St. John's has a good chance but have seen nothing that would lead me to believe that St. John's is the favorite.  Just wondering if you had some inside info or knowledge that us common folk don't.

« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »
Maurice Harkless of Queens and Naadir Tharpe of Brewster (N.H.) Academy were both on St. John’s campus Wednesday. Harkless still has an official set for Sept. 2

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/08/25/jabari-brown-considering-maryland-miami-mack-planning-visits-lewis-to-delaware/#more-38760
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Wods317

« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
I just read on John Rothsteins' twitter that Harkless wants to stay close to home so as he said that would seem to make the battle between Rutgers and SJU. I would have to think with how hard the staff has been going after him and how much he plays at and visits our campus that we would have to be heavy favorites if the report is true. He would be a great recruit to start off with because he's everything we couldn't land before, a top 100 local player.

Poison

« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2010, 08:01:01 PM »
I just read on John Rothsteins' twitter that Harkless wants to stay close to home so as he said that would seem to make the battle between Rutgers and SJU. I would have to think with how hard the staff has been going after him and how much he plays at and visits our campus that we would have to be heavy favorites if the report is true. He would be a great recruit to start off with because he's everything we couldn't land before, a top 100 local player.

Rutgers is a 3 hour drive from Queens, and if you're thinking of going during the week for a game,
it could be much longer. If he wants to play in front of his family, Queens is the obvious and only choice.

In South Jersey, he'd be triple teamed, and he'd be putting his family in a car for an eternity.

« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »

Rutgers is a 3 hour drive from Queens, and if you're thinking of going during the week for a game,
it could be much longer. If he wants to play in front of his family, Queens is the obvious and only choice.

In South Jersey, he'd be triple teamed, and he'd be putting his family in a car for an eternity.

3 hours? not even in the worst traffic. Its 45-60 min. I live 45 min south of Rutgers and it takes me 90 min to get to Queens.

« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2010, 09:25:54 PM »

What knowledge of his recruitment would lead you to believe he is coming to St. John's?  I have read a lot about him and his recruitment since decommitting and I think St. John's has a good chance but have seen nothing that would lead me to believe that St. John's is the favorite.  Just wondering if you had some inside info or knowledge that us common folk don't.

That he really likes St. John's and he's leaning here heavily. Every writer off the record I talk to says that before I even ask them, people who are involved in aau circuits say that. It's not some big secret. He likes Lavin a lot and I think (as do others) thats its only a matter of time before he actually commits. I believe he is doing his due diligence by checking out everywhere as he should but deep down I think he knows he wants to come to St. John's.