Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies
Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
^
This was a ridiculously short segment, but the potential positive was that Biancardi, who very likely communicated w/ his former ESPN colleague Lavin, talked about the program having a strong shot at Sampson, Thorpe, Pelle, and Harris.

« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
^
This was a ridiculously short segment, but the potential positive was that Biancardi, who very likely communicated w/ his former ESPN colleague Lavin, talked about the program having a strong shot at Sampson, Thorpe, Pelle, and Harris.

Was a real quick segment but did look like those guys were ours the way he talked about it. 

« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »
^
Was a real quick segment but did look like those guys were ours the way he talked about it. 
Exactly.
If the staff lands all of those kids, it's a consensus top ten class, it'll help get the ball rolling in 2012, and, over the next couple of years, move this program potentially into the top quadrant of the Big East & top 25 in the country.

Considering we had not landed a top 100 kid in four years, this is a breath of fresh air.

kjd01067

« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »
^

Man I am getting excited!  It is a great time to be a Johnnies fan.  It is not only nice to see our name with all these big name guys but also know that we have a legit chance with Lavin at the helm.  Hopefully the commitment of Harkless really does open the flood gates.

« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »
Just got the news cause I am working the day shift this week!!! Welcome aboard Mo!

sjd8886

« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »
^

Man I am getting excited!  It is a great time to be a Johnnies fan.  It is not only nice to see our name with all these big name guys but also know that we have a legit chance with Lavin at the helm.  Hopefully the commitment of Harkless really does open the flood gates.

it really should...this is basketball after all, and college basketball to boot...5 players on the floor, 8 or so in a rotation...you only need 3 stars and some good role players for a great team at this level...so having harkless in place should be the biggest bargaining chip lavin has had to date to recruit other top talent

« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »
Harkless is a great pick up for the program. But slow down SJU fans. A star he is not. At least not yet. He is a good piece to the puzzle. We always put such expectations on these recruits. Few months ago we were going crazy that Ron Roberts was a pro and we let him go. Come on. Be cautiously optimistic guys and gals. On the upswing, absolutely.

Poison

« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »
A star he is not? How do you know that?

Lavin just added two top 100 kids in his first summer on the job.

Amd for the record, excitement is just what the doctor ordered. We've been invisible for a decade.

« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2010, 03:03:10 AM »
I know that because I've seen him play for the last 3.5 years. He has improved dramatically over the last few years and he will continue to. But he is not an impact freshman. He will be a solid contributor when he come in because he absolutely will play. But Lebryan Nash , Gilchrist he is not. Those dudes are impact freshman. Not downplaying this kid at all, he's good. But we have to be realistic with expectations. which is hard because this is NY. All and all we have every right to be excited about the future.

« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2010, 11:02:26 PM »
I know that because I've seen him play for the last 3.5 years. He has improved dramatically over the last few years and he will continue to. But he is not an impact freshman. He will be a solid contributor when he come in because he absolutely will play. But Lebryan Nash , Gilchrist he is not. Those dudes are impact freshman. Not downplaying this kid at all, he's good. But we have to be realistic with expectations. which is hard because this is NY. All and all we have every right to be excited about the future.

Ive never seen Harless play, but from the videos Ive seen I was kinda expecting more.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »
Honestly, I think he'll be a lot of what the fans expect.  Because the fans aren't expecting Gilchrist, or any of the other guys who can drag their team to the NCAA Tournament as freshmen.  We're expecting the kind of competitive that didn't happen when Norm's last big group of freshmen came on board.  That team was historically bad at scoring, and weren't that great at defending.

« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2010, 12:02:56 AM »
My name is Dan Martin and I'm the co-Sports Director at WSJU, the official radio station of St. John's. I wrote an article after Harkless committed. Check it out.

http://wsjusportsguys.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/harkless-to-become-first-to-step-aboard-lavins-arc/

« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2010, 12:23:50 AM »
lol Dan....we can tell who you are. Post a brief lead into your story in addition to the link to follow over.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2010, 12:57:41 AM »
Hello Mr. Harkless... Yes this boy is homegrown. Check out this video from IS8 courtesy of Ray over at http://gothamhoops.com

Maurice Harkless Power Dunk

« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2010, 12:59:17 AM »
Damn

Marillac

« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2010, 01:30:32 AM »
There is some footage on youtube of the Gauchos playing Arkansas (I think Ky Madden's team).  The court is LOADED with talent (Omar Calhoun, Madden, etc), but #1 stands out to me as the best player on the court.  The comments underneath say that #1 is Maurice Harkless.  Can anyone confirm?

« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2010, 01:34:06 AM »
There is some footage on youtube of the Gauchos playing Arkansas (I think Ky Madden's team).  The court is LOADED with talent (Omar Calhoun, Madden, etc), but #1 stands out to me as the best player on the court.  The comments underneath say that #1 is Maurice Harkless.  Can anyone confirm?

it would help with a link

« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »

it would help with a link

New York Gauchos VS. Arkansas Wings Nike EYBL Houston,Tx 2010

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2010, 12:58:32 AM »
http://www.courtcred.com/section-blog/40-highlights/2185-gill-harkless-and-edwards-shine-at-is8.html

Maurice Harkless, Variety Boys & Girls Club: It's no secret that this Class of 2011 6'8" SF who will be attending South Kent (CT) this upcoming season is one of the best players in NYC. Maurice Harkless, who's committed to St. John's, has showed in numerous tournaments this AAU season how much of an inside-outside threat he his. Harkless hits the outside jumper with ease all the way out to the 3-point line and also is athletically gifted, which he showed at I.S. 8 with a posterizing dunk on a 6'10" Rhode Island defender. His 30 point effort was nothing a usual Maurice Harkless performance.

« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »
Per Alex Kline via Nate Blue.... St. John's commit Maurice Harkless has 14 points & 23 rebounds in an iS8 game today, according to @Nateblueis4real.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/27680779834[/tweet]