Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies

kob24

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - Forest Hills HS - Forest Hills, NY
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 11:46:46 AM »
i am a beast a beeeeaaaassssttttt can i get some props people. i know high school ball

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 12:04:04 PM »
Your props, sir, are in the mail.

It'll be interesting seeing how Lavin deals with mercurial guys like Nat Blue, hm?

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »
Harkless said he hasn’t heard from any schools yet, but Blue said his phone was ringing off the hook Monday. Blue said he received 16 scholarship offers from schools in high-major conferences, including St. John’s, Maryland and Memphis.

St. John’s was in Harkless’ final four, but when he committed to UConn, he intimated the Red Storm was never a legitimate suitor. Now that Steve Lavin has taken over, Harkless is open to the possibility of joining the local Big East school.

“If the coach reaches out, I’ll talk to them,” he said. “Right now, everything is open. I have no favorites or anything like that.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/zach_braziller/harkless_opens_up_recruitment_decommits_VtSKFZeFfVPRNmIll3aEEO
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 03:23:37 PM »
St. John’s was in Harkless’ final four, but when he committed to UConn, he intimated the Red Storm was never a legitimate suitor.

Yuck!  Unfortunately, I think those were the thoughts of many highly recruited players during Norm's time at St. John's.  And, it became painfully obvious to many of us the last 2-3 seasons.

Hopefully, Lavin and staff are able to make a viable pitch to Harkless and other highly regarded recruits. 

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2010, 01:57:14 PM »
St. Johns Coach Steve Lavin Offered and said @moe_harkless is a top priority

[tweet]http://twitter.com/Nateblueis4real/status/17096620693[/tweet]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:41:48 PM by Dave »

sjd8886

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2010, 11:29:50 PM »
if we were in his top 4 with norm, you almost feel like this should be a done deal now...i dont see anyone knocking down the doors for him now either (a visit to rutgers coming up)

Moose

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »
if we were in his top 4 with norm, you almost feel like this should be a done deal now...i dont see anyone knocking down the doors for him now either (a visit to rutgers coming up)

But the way I interpreted the quotes was he just had us in his top 4 as a courtesy.  Thats a lot different than legitimately being in his final four.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 11:50:07 AM »

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that noone isknocking on his door. This is a quote from the post article above.

"Harkless said he hasn’t heard from any schools yet, but Blue said his phone was ringing off the hook Monday. Blue said he received 16 scholarship offers from schools in high-major conferences, including St. John’s, Maryland and Memphis. "

gonzalo

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 01:12:50 PM »

But the way I interpreted the quotes was he just had us in his top 4 as a courtesy.  Thats a lot different than legitimately being in his final four.

Seeing the comments of SJU79 in page 2 of this thread, it was more than courtesy.

Moose

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2010, 03:02:59 PM »

Seeing the comments of SJU79 in page 2 of this thread, it was more than courtesy.

I'm going off the article.
I guess it depends who intimated.  Was that Nate Blue or was it Harkless because there is no question the article shows the STJ at the time of Norm never had a shot and was a courtesy mention.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2010, 12:16:07 PM »
Well, if JDubbs thinks he's a player, I'm convinced.

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 08:58:43 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/09/harkless-rules-out-uconn-jack-stars-at-hoop-group/

Maurice Harkless ’11 – South Kent (CT) – The 6-6 Harkless was named Most Outstanding Player at the Camp after a tremendous week in which his mentor said UConn was no longer in the running for his services. “UConn is offically out of Maurice Harkless’ recruitment,” Nate Blue tweeted. ZAGSBLOG  first broke the news of Harkless’ decommitment last month. This week he picked up additional offers from DePaul and South Florida, to go with Memphis, Rutgers, St. John’s, Maryland, Arizona and Xavier. “He’s the best player here and he’s one of the better ones I’ve seen in a [while], he’s got it,” former Syracuse star John Wallace told Blue.

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
Maurice Harkless went from one end of the court to the other, stopped on a dime, hung high in the air, and softly banked in a baby jumper from the right wing. As the shot dropped through the hoop, a group of college coaches nodded their heads in approval.

Moments later, at the other end of the court, Kadeem Jack soared through the lane for a two-handed dunk. The coaches underneath that basket raised their eyebrows almost in unison, impressed by the powerful display.

Kelvin Jefferson, the two high-major forwards’ next coach, smiled broadly.

Entering the week, Harkless, who decommited from the University of Connecticut on June 21, had a list of suitors such as Rutgers, St. John’s, Maryland, Xavier and Memphis. Syracuse and Temple were added to the list. One coach told Nate Blue, Harkless’ advisor, he could be an NBA draft pick after next year if not for the rule prohibiting players from going straight to the league.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/connecticut_connection_jack_harkless_7vynpcyJ0mUobXsE7pNgII#ixzz0tHfkZdof

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 07:35:58 AM »
Check out Nate Blue's Twitter from last night to get some insights into what he thought was wrong with U Conn and their recruitment.  http://twitter.com/Nateblueis4real  He goes into some detail about the roster and the perceived lack of love.  It's interesting.

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 07:54:47 AM »
Sounds like the boneyard is getting on him.

pmg911

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »
Sounds like the boneyard is getting on him.

The Bonewayrd is right, they are NOT Villanova and they will be good next year.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
Look at this s***.  I guess someone just wanted to feel the love.  Yukon is back on Harkless' list.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Nateblueis4real/status/18626865282[/tweet]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:50:38 PM by peter »

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2010, 06:40:37 PM »
Look at this s***.  I guess someone just wanted to feel the love.  Yukon is back on Harkless' list.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Nateblueis4real/status/18626865282[/tweet]

Calhoun has $ome new bagmen