Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies
Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »
Blue said via text the following schools were in play for Harkless: Arizona, Memphis, St. John’s, Georgetown, Miami, South Florida, Rutgers, Xavier, Virginia, Maryland, Syracuse, Temple, Pitt, Providence, UConn and Cincinnati.

All have offered except Syracuse and Georgetown.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/17/uconn-back-in-harkless-race-pumps-charity-off-limits-to-coaches-caracter-ebanks-excel-for-lakers/
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2010, 06:18:16 PM »
Maurice Harkless, SF, New York Panthers- Now, this is the Harkless that we were told about by our New York area contacts. Looking the part of a high level prospect, the 6-foot-7 wing did a little bit of everything. He handled the ball, got others involved, made some shots and got to the rim. His mentor/adviser Nate Blue listed Maryland, Florida, St. John's, Arizona, Miami, Memphis, Cincinnati, Seton Hall, Virginia, Florida State and Connecticut as schools that are involved.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1105871

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/24/harkless-blowing-up-in-vegas/

“Harkless is really special,” one D-1 coach said. “He will add strength as he goes but has all the attributes for greatness. Trevor Ariza meets Ray Allen. If he projects, he will be a 10-year pro.”

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2010, 11:56:37 PM »
LAS VEGAS - Maurice Harkless has left Queens (N.Y.) Forest Hills for South Kent Prep this school year but college coaches won't lose track of him. The 6-foot-6 small forward, a former UConn commit, is one of the hottest prospects at the Las Vegas Fab 48 and he's playing like it.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1105943

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2010, 02:59:36 PM »
Maurice Harkless (New York Panthers, 2011)- Harkless was impressive Saturday night. He played with an energy and a focus that was missing during the early part of the travel circuit. His stroke from behind the arc is on point and he can make plays off the dribble. His length and athleticism give him a chance to be a high level wing defender and rebounder.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1106018

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2010, 11:13:04 PM »
Zagoria's latest hype scored a whopping seven in a double-digit whipping against the Iowa Barnstormers, who have one high-major kid.
Chiles showed up.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2010, 11:25:16 PM »
You don't think Harkless is that good?

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
I don't think he warrants any references to "Trevor Ariza meets Ray Allen." I realize that the well is pretty dry in his area, but he doesn't need to hype up another kid. It's Nate Blue's job to promote the kid. Zagoria should ask Mr. Konchalski, who, like Harkless, lives in Forrest Hills and is a 35 year veteran, what his take is on Harkless. Harkless was getting schooled by kids that looked like they were extras in Hoosiers yesterday. It was embarrassing.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »
I don't think he warrants any references to "Trevor Ariza meets Ray Allen." I realize that the well is pretty dry in his area, but he doesn't need to hype up another kid. It's Nate Blue's job to promote the kid. Zagoria should ask Mr. Konchalski, who, like Harkless, lives in Forrest Hills and is a 35 year veteran, what his take is on Harkless. Harkless was getting schooled by kids that looked like they were extras in Hoosiers yesterday. It was embarrassing.

It's funny, I don't take those comparisons seriously.  Zags doesn't do this, but often people compare players' to guys of similar height, weight, and race as the guy they're looking at, and it feels inaccurate.  Also, using Trevor Ariza's name as comparison is one thing - that guy was all potential in his year at UCLA, while Ray Allen - ain't nobody like Ray Allen, he was inhuman in college.  Put those two together, and I agree, that's some bull.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »
FWIW, Nate Blue is feeling the love from Lavin.  There's more on his Twitter page, he's writing an essay.  (But his page is locked to non-followers. My God, I'm a follower. I feel dirty.)

Its a sea of shirts, and sju has been there 100% of the summer. RT @seedeez27: So your saying Coach Lavin is showing your guy alot of love?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:18:26 AM by peter »

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2010, 12:14:48 AM »

It's funny, I don't take those comparisons seriously.  Zags doesn't do this, but often people compare players' to guys of similar height, weight, and race as the guy they're looking at, and it feels inaccurate.  Also, using Trevor Ariza's name as comparison is one thing - that guy was all potential in his year at UCLA, while Ray Allen - ain't nobody like Ray Allen, he was inhuman in college.  Put those two together, and I agree, that's some bull.
Ray Allen was inhuman in college?  The guy never made it to a Final Four.  He got out of the Sweet 16 once and he played with guys like Donny Marshell, Donyell Marshell, Kevin Ollie, Doren Scheffer, and Travis Knight.  All but Scheffer played in the NBA. 

Ray Allen is a very good player, but he was never some ridiculous ball player that some like to make it seem.  RIP Hamilton won a national championship with one kid that had a cup of coffee in the NBA and gets half the recognition of Ray.

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2010, 01:04:17 AM »

Ray Allen was inhuman in college?  The guy never made it to a Final Four.  He got out of the Sweet 16 once and he played with guys like Donny Marshell, Donyell Marshell, Kevin Ollie, Doren Scheffer, and Travis Knight.  All but Scheffer played in the NBA. 

Ray Allen is a very good player, but he was never some ridiculous ball player that some like to make it seem.  RIP Hamilton won a national championship with one kid that had a cup of coffee in the NBA and gets half the recognition of Ray.

Let's be fair, and I know the premise was talking college and college is great, but where it counts in the NBA Ray Allen has had a better career.  He's a 9 time all star.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:07:33 AM by B-Squared »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »

Lots of guys never make it to the Final Four.  Jarrett Jack and Georgia Tech did.  Does that make him awesome? No. It means he had a really good team that played as a team with him.  NBA talent doesn't necessarily make a Final Four team.

All I know is that when I watched Ray Allen and Allen Iverson in college, my first thought was "aw, s**t".  Those guys were frighteningly talented. I think he was an unbelievable shooter from outside. You may disagree, and that's fine.

Let's talk about Harkless.

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2010, 02:25:18 PM »
PHOENIX, Az.- The New York Panthers traveled across the country into the desert and claimed the championship of the Desert Duel. Leading the way for the Panthers was top gun Maurice Harkless.

The one time UConn commitment's recruitment is wide open, and Harkless has spent the month of July opening up his game. A long and smoothly athletic small forward, Harkless has found a bounce and energy to his game that was missing in the spring.

His greatest asset is his ability to finish in transition where he displays top shelf body control around the basket. With his quick second jump, he is also a dangerous offensive rebounder. Throw in a reliable three-point stroke, and you have a high level wing prospect who has upside to boot.

Certainly a number of other Panthers contributed to the team's successful run through the tournament. A couple guards Charles Oliver and Jeff Short both had impressive moments during the tournament.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1107455

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/31/harkless-to-cut-list-in-august/#more-37625

Harkless previously decommitted from UConn.

Asked if the Huskies would remain on the list, Harkless said, “I’m not sure.”

Blue added: “I’m 100 percent sure they [UConn] will still be on the list.”

Blue said he wasn’t certain if Harkless would take an official to UConn, but said he would at least take unofficials to UConn, St. John’s, Georgetown and Maryland.

Harkless will play with Queens in the “Battle of the Boroughs” Aug. 13-14 at Rucker Park as part of the World Basketball Festival.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

gonzalo

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/month_to_remember_propels_highly_ku5ZMRlS7ASovUcBQzyWVO

Harkless, the 19th-ranked small forward in the Class of 2011 by Scout.com, was already a hot commodity. That only intensified as the month wore on – he played in front of head coaches such as Bill Self (Kansas), Steve Lavin (St. John’s), Mike Rice (Rutgers), Roy Williams (North Carolina), Gary Williams (Maryland), and Billy Donovan (Florida).

His advisor, Nate Blue, said he has 19 scholarships offers. Florida, St. John’s, Rutgers, Arizona, Cincinnati, Maryland, and Memphis are among his many suitors. Kansas and Syracuse have also shown interest, although neither has offered Harkless, who plans to trim his list to between six to eight teams in the next week. He said St. John’s and UConn would “most likely” be in that group.

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/20169431586[/tweet]

No UConn, but some sharks.

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »

Some sharks, but I can deal with bullheaded sharks instead of tiger and great white sharks in UK, Duke, UNC and Kansas.   :up:   

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »

Some sharks, but I can deal with bullheaded sharks instead of tiger and great white sharks in UK, Duke, UNC and Kansas.   :up:   
Be wary.
Pastner, Donovan, and a desperate Lowe (who was able to beat out even Teflon Cal for Leslie) or Cronin can be dangerous

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2010, 08:41:25 PM »

Be wary.
Pastner, Donovan, and a desperate Lowe (who was able to beat out even Teflon Cal for Leslie) or Cronin can be dangerous

Do not get me wrong, as I know Pastner, Donovan and even, Miller (Arizona) can be quite dangerous.  But, I also think Lavin is very dangerous in his own right.

We all know UK, Duke, UNC and Kansas are usually the more dangerious species.  Nevertheless, I feel Lavin and staff can hang with the big dogs.  We're eventually gonna have to win a recruiting battle with some of the nation's elite and why not start with the 2011 class.   ;)