Should we give it another try

• 0 replies
Should we give it another try
« on: January 30, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »
This will probably go down as the most stupid post in Johnny Jungle history but wilth the current state of college athletics, I want to address this topic. The post is SHOULD ST JOHN'S BRING BACK FOOTBALL. When we last had it, it was completely disorganized and a complete disaster. This time, we should have a plan. I am not saying we should bring it back immedietly but have a long term goal that we can bring it back and actually bring some money into the program. First, we create a ten year plan starting in 2009-2010 hypotetically where we can organize funds, build a new stadium say somewhere in Nassau county (there is no space at the university to build one). We find a coach who has experience but has sort of faded away (like Coach Schellenburger when he started over at Florida Atlantic). This time, we actually give scholarships to players rather than make it completely walk-ons like the old team was. When the program actually starts in 2020 (hypotetical start), we go into I-AA (Championship subdivision) and play there for 5-10 years. After this period is up, we then enter I-A (Bowl subdivision) and play a couple of years there as an independent before joining the Big East when we think we are ready (we must enter a real conference where we actually have a shot a real bowl games instead of MAC or Sun Belt where they play in crap bowl games). Now I know you must think that this Virginia boy should get lost and I do not know what I am talking about but with today's state of college athletics, college football is the true moneymaker. I read many St. John's boards and I hear this talk that we should form our own conference but someone brought this up, if we do that, we lose almost 95% of our national TV coverage. Who would actually televise games in the Catholic League conference besides ESPN televising the conference championship. It is possible to create immediate success by immedietly starting a football program. UCONN almost won the Big East this year and they posted good records the past few years. Florida Atlantic made it to the National Semifinals of I-AA in 2003 (I am not sure of the year but they did) and in their third year in the Sun Belt they won the conference championship and killed Memphis (a C-USA team) in the New Orleans Bowl when if you actually have been on Florida Atlantic's campus, it is the same size as St. John's so it is not a big school. College Football is where the money is and we should give it another try, not immedietly (I used the years as examples) but we should start the project within a couple of years down the road. But to play devil's advocate in my own post, this will probably never happen because if we cannot solve the problems with basketball, how do you think we can create a football program. Dave (or JJ) if you want to delete my accout after reading this, I understand but this is the internet so wacky ideas are possible.