Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2010, 10:16:17 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/10/26/amir-garrett-may-sign-in-spring/#more-41579

Looks like he will wait until spring to sign. I like his attitude that hes not letting the fact that other very good wings have committed to SJU affect his decision. Seems like he wants to win and will welcome the friendly competition. I hope he visits us and lets Lavin work his magic. Him and Pelle seem like they will be the focus in the spring along with Gods Gift.

Don't always believe what you read. This is no slight to Zags either but don't expect him to wait unless there is something I don't know about his academics.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Wods317

« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »

Looks like he will wait until spring to sign. I like his attitude that hes not letting the fact that other very good wings have committed to SJU affect his decision. Seems like he wants to win and will welcome the friendly competition. I hope he visits us and lets Lavin work his magic. Him and Pelle seem like they will be the focus in the spring along with Gods Gift.

Don't always believe what you read. This is no slight to Zags either but don't expect him to wait unless there is something I don't know about his academics.

Zags is usually on top of things is why I posted it and if he does indeed sign in the early period would that hurt us because he hasn't even visited campus.

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2010, 12:11:45 AM »
it says he MAY wait

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2010, 12:35:58 AM »

Zags is usually on top of things is why I posted it and if he does indeed sign in the early period would that hurt us because he hasn't even visited campus.

He has yet to be on an official visit, but Garrett has visited St. John's unofficially.

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2010, 12:45:16 AM »

No fault to Zags as he's reporting what he's getting from Garrett which is exactly his job. I'm telling you that the only reason he'd SIGN in the spring would be due to some sort of academic issue. I have to look into that deeper though.

Not to compare Garrett to Derwin Kitchen as their situations aren't similar but just to remind people that when Kitchen signed here and was not cleared academically that prevented him from coming here again after he went to JUCO.

« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »
would Lavin let Garrett play baseball for SJU ? Amazing how some people can excel at 2 sports !

« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
would Lavin let Garrett play baseball for SJU ? Amazing how some people can excel at 2 sports !

Not sure if he would but I don't think it matters as Garrett has said he isn't playing baseball in college.

« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »
Saw a guy interview him on Fox and Garrett said he throws 93 MPH !   

« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2010, 10:23:56 PM »
The other players on the team will need a catchers mitt to catch Amirs passes.  :)

« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »
hope his passes have no movement like his fastball :)

« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2010, 10:31:35 PM »
Remember Terry Bross ? He played basketball and baseball at SJU. The mets drafted him. The guy was taller then Randy Johnson.

mkras99

« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
Respond much to yourself?

« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2010, 11:12:04 PM »
Dashingwave2010- I know you're new so but it should be pretty evident by the way everyone conducts themselves here that posting 4 times in a row with 1 sentence spamming a thread is unacceptable. You can simply edit your post if something slipped your mind or you can delete and repost.

You should post in the new members thread, tell everyone about yourself.

« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2010, 09:08:32 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5763252

Considering:
Oregon St. John's UNLV California Kansas

Why they want him: Garrett is a high-flying, high-energy wing who will excel in an up-tempo system. His combination of length and lateral quickness are his big attributes as well as the attitude and toughness to be a great defender. If he continues to improve his shooting and ballhandling skills, he has a good chance to rise up the rankings.

Recruiting update: Garrett, who says Oregon and St John's are the leaders, is leaning toward signing in the late period. He had a great official visit to Oregon, but is being patient as he sorts through the recruiting process. Coach Steve Lavin is tough to beat on the recruiting trail and the fact that Garrett has West Coast ties could make it interesting.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
@TheRecruitScoop - Alex Kline
 Findlay Prep star Amir Garrett will take an official visit to St. John's tomorrow. He will be accompanied by Norvel Pelle on the visit.

« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »
Oh man this is going to be a HUGE weekend. seal the deal with pelle and amir grab one or 2 other juco bigs and we are set up for a great future

« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2010, 09:54:24 PM »
potentially HUUUUUGE weekend ahead!!!
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Wods317

« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »
Wow this is great news for us that they are visiting together this weekend.

« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
what do they say on rivals about this story
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:25:16 AM by stjchris128 »

Marillac

« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2010, 02:04:50 AM »
We'd be like WV on steriods if we landed these two.  Seriously, WV had no great PG and no great center, but they had three long, athletic, and versatile wings--two were only SOPH's!  They made it to the Final Four with that trio, b/c they were just too long and athletic and could play inside and out.

We'd have a MUCH BETTER backcourt in three years with Thomas, Lindsey, and Harrison.  We'd have a much better center to complement the athletic wings in Pelle.  And we'd have five RIDICULOUS forwards that would all be older than Ebanks and Jones were. 

Just think about how athletic and long guys like Pelle, Harkless, Pointer, POLEE, GARRETT, and Sampson are.  I'm guessing Sampson would be the Ebanks-type player for this squad.