Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »
Does anyone know if Garret or Harkless can bring the ball up? Maybe distribute a little.
Neither of them have a tight enough handle that you would want them doing it in anything other than extraordinary circumstances. Frankly, even in the half-court, they need to tighten their respective handles this year in preparation for the BE.

kjd01067

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
Does anyone know if Garret or Harkless can bring the ball up? Maybe distribute a little.
Neither of them have a tight enough handle that you would want them doing it in anything other than extraordinary circumstances. Frankly, even in the half-court, they need to tighten their respective handles this year in preparation for the BE.

It has been reported that D'Angelo Harrison can play the point so if we land him that leaves open the SG spot for guys like Garrett and Harkless.  I think with these SF's Lavin can entice them to play together because they can effectively play 3 positions: SG, SF, and PF.  Also he can entice guys like Harrison by telling him that he can play both the PG and SG.  If we are planning on being an uptempo team like Lavin had at ucla there will be plenty of minutes to go around

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »

It has been reported that D'Angelo Harrison can play the point so if we land him that leaves open the SG spot for guys like Garrett and Harkless.  I think with these SF's Lavin can entice them to play together because they can effectively play 3 positions: SG, SF, and PF.  Also he can entice guys like Harrison by telling him that he can play both the PG and SG.  If we are planning on being an uptempo team like Lavin had at ucla there will be plenty of minutes to go around
Between minutes and shots, we'll see.

As you know, it's one thing in recruiting to tell the kids what they want to hear to secure a commitment, but, in reality, coaches always talk about playing to and maximizing a player's strength. In the case of Harrison, he's a scorer, one of the better ones in this particular class and rarely played the point on the national AAU level. My hope is that they can land Harrison and a quality pg.

This is actually a fairly good representation of his strengths and weaknesses.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/98922/dangelo-harrison
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:06:55 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »
As you know, it's one thing in recruiting to tell the kids what they want to hear to secure a commitment, but, in reality, coaches always talk about playing to and maximizing a player's strength. In the case of Harrison, he's a scorer, one of the better ones in this particular class and rarely played the point on the national AAU level. My hope is that they can land Harrison and a quality pg.

This is actually a fairly good representation of his strengths and weaknesses.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/98922/dangelo-harrison

It's ironic you posted that link, Sleaveless One.  I read it prior to leaving work.  Quite frankly, I had a feeling this was Harrison's strengths and weaknesses by reading about his play throughout the spring and summer.

He's capable of playing point guard, but it wouldn't be ideal for the long-term.  Grab a quality PG and allow Harrison to log most of his minutes at the 2.  Allow him to play some combo, but have moreso of a true PG setting things up for Harrison and others.

As, far as Garrett....  I'm hoping his official goes very well over the weekend and we soon garner a commitment.

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »
UPDATE: Amir Garrett was originally supposed to visit St. John’s this weekend, but the visit has been put off. He and D’Angelo Harrison are both supposed to visit St. John’s, perhaps for Midnight Madness Oct. 15, but will come at some point next month.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/22/garrett-to-visit-st-johns/
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Wods317

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »
This sounds like good news if Harrison and Garrett visit together during Midnight Madness.

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
Per NYC Hoops....  Don't be surprised if Amir Garrett commits to St. John's on or before Midnight madness (Oct 15. ).

[tweet]http://twitter.com/NYCHoops/status/25286602282[/tweet]

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/2010/09/amir-garrett-not-visiting-the-johnnies/

I just talked to 6-foot-6 2011 Amir Garrett (Findlay Prep Findlay, NV)  via text and he told me that he will not be visiting St Johns this weekend or like reported by some the 15th of October for Johnnies Midnight Madness run. I also asked him if he will be visiting them on another date and he responded with “Nope, Im not." When I asked if it was still St Johns and Oregon or if he added anybody else to the list he replied with “Im focusing on school right now.” Last month it was reported Garrett had a list of Oregon and St Johns at the top with Kansas, Miami and Boston College still in the mix.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:20:10 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

Moose

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »
http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/2010/09/amir-garrett-not-visiting-the-johnnies/

I just talked to 6-foot-6 2011 Amir Garrett (Findlay Prep Findlay, NV)  via text and he told me that he will not be visiting St Johns this weekend or like reported by some the 15th of October for Johnnies Midnight Madness run. I also asked him if he will be visiting them on another date and he responded with “Nope, Im not.

Well that was fun while it lasted.
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
Could just mean that's he's pretty much decided.  Or he's waiting until spring.

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 05:28:26 PM »

I just talked to 6-foot-6 2011 Amir Garrett (Findlay Prep Findlay, NV)  via text and he told me that he will not be visiting St Johns this weekend or like reported by some the 15th of October for Johnnies Midnight Madness run. I also asked him if he will be visiting them on another date and he responded with “Nope, Im not." When I asked if it was still St Johns and Oregon or if he added anybody else to the list he replied with “Im focusing on school right now.” Last month it was reported Garrett had a list of Oregon and St Johns at the top with Kansas, Miami and Boston College still in the mix.

Yikes.  Thats certainly a sudden turn of events.  Doesn't sound good.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Don't think negatively people. This could just mean good news is coming sooner rather than later. Hopefully I have something to deliver soon.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2010, 01:25:58 AM »
Don't think negatively people. This could just mean good news is coming sooner rather than later. Hopefully I have something to deliver soon.

Nope.

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2010, 03:03:22 AM »

Nope.

???

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 03:03:37 PM »

Nope.

???

You won't have any positive to deliver about Garrett and STJ. 

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »

Nope.

???

You won't have any positive to deliver about Garrett and STJ.

manbearpig asks to clarify that your saying theres only gonna be bad news regarding garrett?

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »
As much as we would like to have Garret  & Pointer come here,
at this point with Polee, Harkless & Sampson already on board,
I think the most important recruits the next month are
the guards- Brown, Tharpe, Harrison & Sledge
Molloy '71

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »
As much as we would like to have Garret  & Pointer come here,
at this point with Polee, Harkless & Sampson already on board,
I think the most important recruits the next month are
the guards- Brown, Tharpe, Harrison & Sledge

As, much as I'd like to nab Garrett due to him favoring us at one point (he still may be favoring the Johnnies) and his versatility....  You're probably right, steve.

Two guys you've mentioned are kids whom I really want in Brown and Harrison.  Grab one or both of those two and you can add Sledge, as his combination of speed and quickness could free those kids up for shots.

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »
theres still a good chance we get amir just because hes not taking an offiial doesnt mean hes not coming, he took an unofficial and remember jakarr commited to st johns without an official visit. Also st. john's is one of his top two at the moment. im not saying st johns will get him but we still got a good shot

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2010, 09:33:34 PM »
theres still a good chance we get amir just because hes not taking an offiial doesnt mean hes not coming, he took an unofficial and remember jakarr commited to st johns without an official visit. Also st. john's is one of his top two at the moment. im not saying st johns will get him but we still got a good shot

I'd have to agree with you Chris. Also welcome to the site look forward to seeing more posts from you.