Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

MCNPA

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #720 on: October 28, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »
Amir on twitter says "see you in December". I'm guessing he knows what he needs to qualify.  Once again, congrats to this kid who has be vehement and vocal about playing for SJU.   Apparently he's getting his work done and on the path.  He deserves all good fortune comng his way and can't wait to see hi in red and white.

« Reply #721 on: October 29, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Pelle should take notes on how to get it done instead of whinning and making excuses like a little baby

« Reply #722 on: October 29, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
i think we all need to chill a little.  none of them are guaranteed anything until NCAA clears them.  amir could teach the classes and still may not get cleared.

kjd01067

« Reply #723 on: October 29, 2011, 12:57:33 PM »
Pelle should take notes on how to get it done instead of whinning and making excuses like a little baby

Calm down. Everyone is jumping to conclusions about these recruits with no factual background other than stalking their twitter accounts.  Pelle, Garrett, and Sampson didn't qualify and that sucks but some of you make it seem like that makes them "idiots" or "whining little babies".  I won't make excuses for these three players but all 3 are now in prep school and working on qualifying and that's what is important.  To come on a forum and call a recruit lazy, stupid, or goof-off without any knowledge of the actual situation is lazy and stupid.  Hopefully Amir and Pelle will be here in December.

Marillac

« Reply #724 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »

Wow. Are you kidding?

MCNPA

« Reply #725 on: November 15, 2011, 01:16:29 AM »
Tweet from Amir tonight:

"I really appreciate all the support from e St john's family, they aren't fans to me, we are one big family.  You guys keep me going"

Always want kids like this as part of our program and school.  Wish they were all made this way.  It's not just about bball.  This kid just gets it.  Can't wait for him to take the court and wish this kid the best of luck no matter what type of player he is or becomes.  Kid has heart.

« Reply #726 on: November 15, 2011, 09:35:36 AM »
Now each situation is different but for those who did not think it was really possible to qualify for the second semester this year for any of the 3 who failed to qualify, see Kevin Ware of Louisville.  He is set to enroll and be eligible starting December 14th:

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/11/14/1959719/louisville-basketball-freshman.html

Moose

« Reply #727 on: November 15, 2011, 11:35:58 PM »
Now each situation is different but for those who did not think it was really possible to qualify for the second semester this year for any of the 3 who failed to qualify, see Kevin Ware of Louisville.  He is set to enroll and be eligible starting December 14th:

Day after Marra goes down for the year they get good news like this.

Unreal.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #728 on: November 16, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »

Unreal.

Which makes one wonder how Louisville is able to keep the kids and we are not?? 

Moose

« Reply #729 on: November 16, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »

Unreal.

Its scary when I actually agree with you on something.

« Reply #730 on: November 16, 2011, 06:43:30 PM »
Anyone hear the rumor that Moe Harkless and D Harrison have de-committed from St John's? It seems like we lead the NCAA in de-committments. Wonder if other programs are lying to these kids re coaches health.

« Reply #731 on: November 18, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »

Unreal.

Louisville and Pitino have had their issues as well.  Last year their top recruit Justin Coleman failed to qualify.  Transfer Roburt Sallie failed to clear last year and never played for them.  Recruits Negus Webster-Chen and Rodney Purvis both decommitted when assistant Tim Fuller left Pitino to join Haith at Missouri.  Chen followed Fuller to Missouri and Purvis stayed home with NC St.  Then this year Kevin Ware fails to qualify initially and will enroll for 2nd semester.

Sounds every bit as "bad" if not worse then SJU.  Louisville is surviving.

« Reply #732 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »
It is funny Amir is the 1 guy who probably had the best reason NOT to follow through on his commitment to SJU since he has a baseball contract already in place to fall back on.  I mean it would have been easy for him to simply say, "Hey the NCAA screwed me so sorry SJU fans but I going to pursue baseball with the Reds."

And yet the kid never stops talking about how much he is looking forward to playing for SJU starting in December.  He tweets and re-tweets the same sentiments everyday.  Never ever wavered.

Forget about his pure basketball ability.  Just flat love this kid's attitude.

Moose

« Reply #733 on: November 18, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »

Unreal.

Louisville and Pitino have had their issues as well.  Last year their top recruit Justin Coleman failed to qualify.  Transfer Roburt Sallie failed to clear last year and never played for them.  Recruits Negus Webster-Chen and Rodney Purvis both decommitted when assistant Tim Fuller left Pitino to join Haith at Missouri.  Chen followed Fuller to Missouri and Purvis stayed home with NC St.  Then this year Kevin Ware fails to qualify initially and will enroll for 2nd semester.

Sounds every bit as "bad" if not worse then SJU.  Louisville is surviving.

But he's also sliming it with 3-4 questionable walk on's who should be scholarship players.  He throws out offers like candy and when he has too many and has to adjust he does what he has to.

« Reply #734 on: November 18, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »
It is funny Amir is the 1 guy who probably had the best reason NOT to follow through on his commitment to SJU since he has a baseball contract already in place to fall back on.  I mean it would have been easy for him to simply say, "Hey the NCAA screwed me so sorry SJU fans but I going to pursue baseball with the Reds."

And yet the kid never stops talking about how much he is looking forward to playing for SJU starting in December.  He tweets and re-tweets the same sentiments everyday.  Never ever wavered.

Forget about his pure basketball ability.  Just flat love this kid's attitude.

Absolutely!  Well said, fordham...Amir is going to be a fan favorite and I can't wait to see him in a Johnnies uniform

« Reply #735 on: November 20, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
Again from scout.com at the NPS:

Amir Garrett, SF, Bridgton Academy – Garrett, one of the premier athletes in the country, played quite well against Hargrave, especially in the first session. Garrett attacked the rim, finished in transition and flew in for rebounds. Early in his career he has a chance to make his mark on the defensive end, as his length, lateral speed and athleticism are impressive. Garrett finished 8-for-14 from the field for 20 points.

It appears Amir Garrett is one track to become eligible to play at St. John’s following the first semester. Bridgton Academy coach White Lesure told Scout.com Garrett is in good shape.

“Based on what Amir is doing and based on feedback from St. John’s I’d say yeah it’s going to be done,” Lesure said.

Garrett was ranked as a top 100 prospect in the 2011 recruiting class.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1130724.html

« Reply #736 on: November 20, 2011, 10:55:56 PM »
Great news...he will help a lot.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #737 on: November 21, 2011, 08:55:49 AM »
With NCAA often taking weeks or months to clear a player-
 how do we know how soon after finishing semester  NCAA clears Amir ?
Molloy '71

Moose

« Reply #738 on: November 21, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »

We don't.

Doesn't that make it so much fun?

« Reply #739 on: November 21, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »
We don't.   Doesn't that make it so much fun?

Well. I hope since their workload of this type should be 95% less now, compared to August-
 process should be much quicker.  But thats thinking too logically.

Do we know when Amir finishes finals ?
could he be eligible for the Dec 17 Fordham game ?
Molloy '71