God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S

• 304 replies

LJSA

Re: God's Gift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
It figures that it was sunny in Washington (rain capital of the country) when GG visited their campus, and it's going to rain all weekend in NYC.  I hope Lavin has some good indoor activities planned for the weekend wooing of GG.  We need this guy.

I'm not worried at all. I don't think it's a coincidence that a devout Christian kid named God's Gift is visiting a Catholic school over Easter weekend. I think he purposely set it up that way, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't commit Sunday.

DFF6

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2011, 02:44:52 PM »
Hopefully LJSA, it's from your mouth to God's hears... ;)

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2011, 03:25:14 PM »
Huskies wooing another big man

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/2014855890_huskies_wooing.html

Several publications are reporting Washington is hosting Jamaican big man Vashil Fernandez on an official visit this weekend.

The 6-foot-11, 225-pound center played last season at Princeton Day Academy in Maryland. He was being recruited by Florida State, Penn State, East Carolina and TCU.

Fernandez is said to be a standout on the defensive end with a limited offensive skill set at this stage of his career.

Last week Washington hosted God's Gift Achiuwa, a 6-9 forward at Erie (N.Y.) Community College.
Fire Mullin.

derk

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »
It figures that it was sunny in Washington (rain capital of the country) when GG visited their campus, and it's going to rain all weekend in NYC.  I hope Lavin has some good indoor activities planned for the weekend wooing of GG.  We need this guy.

I'm not worried at all. I don't think it's a coincidence that a devout Christian kid named God's Gift is visiting a Catholic school over Easter weekend. I think he purposely set it up that way, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't commit Sunday.

Good one

derk

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
Hopefully LJSA, it's from your mouth to God's hears... ;)

Better one :)

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
We need size. GG is the best available player at the big man position and would be a great addition to our team. Let's show the kid some love.

Not sure if this was posted.  He looks like a mack truck.  Don't think he gets pushed around!   

ECC 83, NCCC 74: God's Gift Achiuwa postgame   

« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
seems like a good kid. hope he commits.  He can keep these little frosh in line if they step out of place.

« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »
Not sure if this posted yet but GG was named an All American in NJCAA Division II

http://www.njcaa.org/sports_awards.cfm?category=Award%20Winners&sid=5&divid=2&slid=2

Was looking at the link and noticed the other big on the First Team list.  Figured it had to be Mel Turpin's son and sure enough it is.

« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2011, 06:20:46 PM »
Had a nice talk with God's Gift's Coach. Some insight on G and his recruitment

http://johnnyjungle.com/recruiting/gods-gifts-interest-in-st-johns-rises-on-easter/
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
Had a nice talk with God's Gift's Coach. Some insight on G and his recruitment

http://johnnyjungle.com/recruiting/gods-gifts-interest-in-st-johns-rises-on-easter/

2 things I liked:

1.) “He’s a good leader who leads by example. The first one in the gym and the last one out,”
- This is important, GG would be a junior and having already played at the college level knows what it takes. With such a young team another leader and role model would be great.

2.)He is expected to announce his decision within the week.
-Looks like we won't have to wait long for an answer.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:28:17 PM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »
This is a very important week for us. This could be the final piece to the puzzle. If he shocks us and goes elsewhere where do we turn for a big?

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »
If he shocks us and goes elsewhere where do we turn for a big?

I believe the staff will keep the scholarship towards 2012, if that happens.  I don't think it'll be a problem, as I feel he's gonna make the call for the Johnnies.

MCNPA

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »
If he shocks us and goes elsewhere where do we turn for a big?

I believe the staff will keep the scholarship towards 2012, if that happens.  I don't think it'll be a problem, as I feel he's gonna make the call for the Johnnies.

Agree with MJ here.  I think we either land God's Gift or we keep it for 2012 and play with what we have which is plenty.

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
I think the option is God's Gift or God's Gift

MCNPA

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2011, 11:38:54 PM »
I think the option is God's Gift or God's Gift

I'm sensing maybe a subtle hint there... ;)

« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
just posted on Zags:
Following his weekend visit to St. John’s, God’s Gift Achiuwa plans on announcing his college choice this week.

The 6-foot-8 power forward from Erie (N.Y.) Community College is down to the Johnnies, Cincinnati and Washington.

“He’s gonna do it this week,” Erie coach Alex Nwora said Monday by phone.

“He said, ‘I don’t want any more visits. I visited enough schools and I’m going to make my decision. I’m getting fed up with all the traveling and all the phone calls.’ He wants to sit down and make a decision.”

Nwora said all three schools have a shot at Gift, who averaged 22.3 points and 11.7 rebounds.

“The kid is tough to read,” he said. “I know he likes the coaches from Washington. He likes the coaches from Cincinnati. He likes the coaches from St. John’s. St. John’s did a good job recruiting him.

“Whichever way he’s swinging I’m going to support him.”

Good to see Calipari got stoned on this one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:18:54 PM by valgoth »

Marillac

« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2011, 03:14:07 PM »
Nurideen Lindsey was also involved with Kentucky ;)

Not according to UK fans.  Getting looked at is very different that beating UK out.  I hope they do take GG, because I don't want him in Queens.  Give me Taylor or Ashoulu or save it for next season.

Marillac why don't you want GG? I'm guessing you haven't seen him play live and he doesn't have a highlight video so what are you basing your claims on? Just wondering because he is a JUCO all american and would seem to fit our needs and help with the scholarship distribution.

Fact:   Norm Roberts once cut a kid that went on to become a JUCO All-American.  That means nothing.  I used to coach JUCO in NY and believe me when I tell you that Erie and all of D-II in NY is a joke. 

D-II JUCO's in NY start talent that you would see as the third scorers on a team like Newburgh or Peekskill.  Some of those teams only have nine players total. 

I've heard the kid is R-A-W.  He's got an NBA body for sure, but he's raw.  I think this team will be firing on all cylinders right as GG is graduating.  I'd rather use the ship on Ashoulu for one year and get a stud like Gathers next season. 

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
Fact:   Norm Roberts once cut a kid that went on to become a JUCO All-American.  That means nothing.  I used to coach JUCO in NY and believe me when I tell you that Erie and all of D-II in NY is a joke. 

D-II JUCO's in NY start talent that you would see as the third scorers on a team like Newburgh or Peekskill.  Some of those teams only have nine players total. 

I've heard the kid is R-A-W.  He's got an NBA body for sure, but he's raw.  I think this team will be firing on all cylinders right as GG is graduating.  I'd rather use the ship on Ashoulu for one year and get a stud like Gathers next season.

There could be an exception to the rule, in this situation.  No one is denying what you're saying, but it's obvious GG can bring something to the table.  I believe Moose and another poster on here has witnessed GG in action.  I'd like for him to come in here with some energy, along with being a bruiser, snagging caroms and getting putbacks.  If, he does that then he's done fine in my book.

I still believe we can and will get Gathers, even with the addition of GG.

Moose

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Nurideen Lindsey was also involved with Kentucky ;)

Not according to UK fans.  Getting looked at is very different that beating UK out.  I hope they do take GG, because I don't want him in Queens.  Give me Taylor or Ashoulu or save it for next season.

Marillac why don't you want GG? I'm guessing you haven't seen him play live and he doesn't have a highlight video so what are you basing your claims on? Just wondering because he is a JUCO all american and would seem to fit our needs and help with the scholarship distribution.

Who did Norm cut?

Ashoulu isn't coming here.  Staff has zero interest in him.  Never was a target.  We have been on GG for awhile.  If he was a freshman I would have reservations.  Its a 2 yr scholarship.  I saw him play a very good D1 team in Monroe and no question his team didnt have much help but he still more than held his own.  He is better than Coker and honestly he does many things better than Evans or JB24 that you 'expect' big men to do.  If Redmen was still up you would be able to look back on my detailed report from that game.  No question he has room to grow, but Calipari doesn't sniff around someone who can't contribute in some way.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
I'm 100% with Moose. He makes sense in a number of ways due to his style of play and helps scholarship balance from the start. If he gave 7 rebounds and 2 blks a game to this team I'm cool with that.