God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S

• 304 replies
Re: God's Gift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
I don't know why St. John's fans are so confident. I would love to see GG come here, but from what I read in that article that was posted above, it sounds like Washington has the inside track. He liked all 3 schools, but really liked UW's head coach. No comment about STJ's or Cincy's head coaches. I say he is going to Washington, Hope I'm wrong, but that is what I get from that article.

He said similar things about SJU to Zags and other reporters as well.  I can't believe you are reading too much into these quotes when a beat writer for one school calls a recruit or coach of a recruit to ask him a few questions.  I mean are you surprised he did not say, "He liked all 3 coaches but he really loved Lavin" to a Seattle Times writer????

Trust me they were probably lead in questions that you don't see and the quotes come off of those questions let alone the fact that Nwora knows who his audience is in this instance.

« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »
I don't know why St. John's fans are so confident. I would love to see GG come here, but from what I read in that article that was posted above, it sounds like Washington has the inside track. He liked all 3 schools, but really liked UW's head coach. No comment about STJ's or Cincy's head coaches. I say he is going to Washington, Hope I'm wrong, but that is what I get from that article.

He said similar things about SJU to Zags and other reporters as well.  I can't believe you are reading too much into these quotes when a beat writer for one school calls a recruit or coach of a recruit to ask him a few questions.  I mean are you surprised he did not say, "He liked all 3 coaches but he really loved Lavin" to a Seattle Times writer????

Trust me they were probably lead in questions that you don't see and the quotes come off of those questions let alone the fact that Nwora knows who his audience is in this instance.

He told me he "really connected" with St. John's coaches.

http://johnnyjungle.com/recruiting/gods-gifts-interest-in-st-johns-rises-on-easter/
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »
]While this is true, somewhat, God's Gift has a solid looking frame and he is wanted by some solid programs - St. John's isn't competing with Niagara and Cal State Fullerton here! It's a hell of a jump, but he'll be pressed into action. And if he can't do something positive on the court (defensively), there are others who will step in.

He might end up just being a body; he might end up being the big forward who allows guys like Jakarr Sampson to play more than 5 feet from the basket.

Exactly Peter.  No one is claiming GG is going to come in here and be the next Patrick Ewing.  We don't even need him to be a starter, we need an athletic big with size that can play on the defensive end and rebound.
I think it was Marillac who expressed worry about his shooting numbers. I would too, to be honest. But he was also taking quite a few shots. If he's a 5-shot/ game guy who can hang on defense for 15, or 20, or even 30 minutes, there's enough scoring pop around to make up for that with Nuri, D'Angelo, Harkless, Sampson... it helps to have a role player on the floor when others are looking for their shot. Provides balance.

How many shots did Burrell/Coker get in this offense? I wouldn't be so hung up on his shooting ability.

« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2011, 05:26:12 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/LennRobbins/status/63352782765301760[/tweet]

DFF6

« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
YES!!!  Adding some meat to the bones of the 2011 class!  God I hope Lenn Robbins' tweet is accurate (pun intended).

« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2011, 05:50:18 PM »
This was fully expected but not confirmed to be official yet. However I'd have 99% optimism to say Lenn is correct in his report.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »

How many shots did Burrell/Coker get in this offense? I wouldn't be so hung up on his shooting ability.
Coker barely played! And by shooting ability, I also mean his ability to score on put backs...

Let's hope Lenny Robbins is correct.

« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:07 PM »
Has anyone seen this kid play in person? Besides Moose who I know saw him play during the winter.

Hard to know what exactly we are getting here, besides the obvious muscle and strength he'll provide to a relatively thin front line.

Poison

« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »
He doesn't need to score that much to be very valuable. Remember Donald Emanuel as a freshman? He was raw, but just pulling down boards and boxing out made him valuable. Right now, we have one guy who plays both the 4/5 positions, and that one guy is a twig. He needs to eat meat and potatoes all summer just fatten up to the size of a stick.

« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2011, 05:59:58 PM »

Coker barely played! And by shooting ability, I also mean his ability to score on put backs...

Let's hope Lenny Robbins is correct.

I should have threw Evans in there too. More or less I was saying that role next to Brownlee (Sampson/Polee) opposed to Burrell/Coker/Evans (Pelle/GG)

JC

« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
Another good get by Lavs.  A big to play the 5 along with Pelle next year and it staggers the ships.  Even if GG only offers modest ppg and boards, I can't see how this is a bad thing. 

Moose

« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
People are mentioning minutes and how long can he hack it on the court.  I will put it this way.  The game I saw him play against Monroe (Chiles was also there) he played the entire game.  Never coming out.  He had 2 fouls.  1 of which was offensive.  So we aren't dealing with a hacker who can't play consecutive minutes without making mistakes.  Now yes JUCO is different than BE D1 ball but I've seen other raw players we've gotten (Coker, Diakite, Keita, CUJO, etc) and he is by far my advanced with more of a feel for the game.  He has a role.  Remember we won't be expecting many points from our 4/5.  They are there for putbacks, cleaning up the miss.  2 or 3 baskets a game from GG, 2 FT's, 7 boards and 1-2 blocks and we are getting everything we can out of the scholarship for 2 yrs.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
Moose where did you see this guy play?

Moose

« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
Moose where did you see this guy play?

Erie played Monroe this season at Mt. St Michael.  I had a detailed writeup about his game but unfortunately I only posted it on Redmen.
Remember who broke the Slice news

God's Gift to St. John's
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Just got a text from a reliable source that this is the case. Also heard it was on a Len Robbins tweet which I don't have access to.

Re: God's Gift to St. John's
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »
 :up:  Great news...He looks like a tank and we could desperately use a big presence down low...I know it's only JUCO but he has some college experience and experience with that type of schedule and fits well with the scholarship situation in only having 2 years left

It's just seems appropriate that God's Gift ends up at St. John's

Lavin the closer does a great job again...He had to be impressed with Coach Dunlap, Hines, Hicks and Chiles as well

Thanks for the heads up QCRed.  Welcome aboard God!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Thank God!!! Welcome aboard!!!

If true this is probably the best commit we could possibly get at this point in time.
Welcome aboard GG. http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/Smileys/alive/cheesy.gif

It's a done deal.  He was an SJU lean for months.

Others are now tweeting it including JUCO Recruiting as well.

9 man class.  Class dismissed on to 2012 and 2013.