God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S

• 304 replies

kjd01067

Welcome GG!  Fills a need and helps with scholarship distribution this signing is a thumbs up in my book

Let's ownnnn

Well, looks like I was wrong! Recent posts on a Washington forum, have their fans assuming he'd go to St. John's

Marillac

Welcome aboard, GG.  Hope to see you on campus in a few weeks to start putting in work! 

Great Get God's Gift Is!
Thanks Coach Lavin and staff for another reason to be pumped-up about the Redmen.
Can't wait for midnight madness!

gman

Re: God's Gift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2011, 11:34:46 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/LennRobbins/status/63352782765301760[/tweet]

I'm so torn everytime I see these kinds of posts.  I love hearing he is ours, but I would be pissed as a kid if I set a press conference and it gets leaked on twitter the night before.  Guess that is the current environment.

Welcome aboard.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/hs_and_college/ecc-standout-headed-to-st-johns

Two time JUCO All American God's Gift Achiuwa has made his decision, on where to continue his college basketball career.  He'll announce it Thursday, at an afternoon news conference at ECC.

News 4 Sports has learned that Achiuwa will announce that he'll attend St John's University in New York next year.  He had narrowed his choices down to St John's, Cincinnati, and the University of Washington.

Achiuwa is expected to make it official at a 2pm news conference.  The Nigerian native is a 6-8 forward who averaged 23 points and 12 rebounds per game for the ECC Kats last year.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

I am really happy we landed GG. He really is the final piece and will be a very important part of out team next year. It is my opinion that GG will be our starting C next year and play a key role.

MCNPA

I am really happy we landed GG. He really is the final piece and will be a very important part of out team next year. It is my opinion that GG will be our starting C next year and play a key role.

He probably will start at center and share half the time with Pelle.  Perfect situation for both God's Gift and Pelle.  Now we have a 6'9" 240lb center who can board and run the court as well as a 6'10" gazelle of a shotblocker.  Two things we didn't have last year.  Will be nice to have two real post players.

NYCoffey

Here's Robbins article in the post if it hasn't peen posted yet. It sounds like the press conference is going to be at the school.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/storm_to_land_god_gift_FA3EMzv1nvpqeF5XgOsgAO

NYCoffey

Actually after looikng at it again I believe he meant the press conference would be at Erie.

I guess I will have to learn to navigate JJ better so I can keep up.  I have been waiting for RM.com to come up and my dad actually beat me on recruiting information.  Great job staff pulling a much needed big man.  GG welcome.  It will be nice seeing a big man with some skills working the paint for us.

@recruitscoop on twitter is saying GG not a done deal.  has not committed.

FWIW: //RT @TheRecruitScoop: 2011 PF God's Gift has not committed to #stjbb yet, per a source. Cincinnati no longer in the race.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
That could mean multiple things: he technically hasn't committed, or that he's still open. (Hence the FWIW.)

And we don't know the source. And it could be the coach trying to still generate interest in the press conference - other players have refuted reports that state where they end up going in order to keep their drama high for their presser.

Well of course he hasn't technically committed yet. Duh!

Lenn Robbins said it was down to Cincy and St. John's

Alex Kline says Cincinnati is out

Does anyone need more logic?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

how far in advance does the staff find out?  it can't be during the press conference.... i imagined if it leaked yesterday, via lenn, that it was someone from sju as the source.  and that gg had "committed".

Well of course he hasn't technically committed yet. Duh!

Lenn Robbins said it was down to Cincy and St. John's

Alex Kline says Cincinnati is out

Does anyone need more logic?

Exactly.  Technically he is right, he has not formally announced for anyone yet.

What everyone is doing is saying when he announces at 1 PM it will be for SJU.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Is the press conference on ESPN U or online or something?

Zags tweeted that it is a done deal to SJU.