God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S

• 304 replies

RedVet

Re: God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2011, 12:00:24 AM »
I think GG is a bandaid with his size and experience ... He is intelligent, a good kid off the court, God-fearing, and is 30 lbs heavier and a world stronger than anyone else we have right now ...

Sounds like Mike Huckabee.

LJSA

Re: God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2011, 12:41:01 AM »
I think GG is a bandaid with his size and experience ... He is intelligent, a good kid off the court, God-fearing, and is 30 lbs heavier and a world stronger than anyone else we have right now ...

GG isn't a self-loathing closet homosexual.

crgreen

« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2011, 12:58:05 AM »
FWIW - Steve's championship experience is that 1995 UCLA natinal championship team.    Folks probably remember that 7'0 255 George Zidek was the big presensce inside for the Bruins.  What many DON'T remember is that big George was asthmatic and played only 23 minutes a game for the Bruins.  Even with a 6'8 200 power forward in Ed O'Bannon, when Zidek was out, the backup (despite two near 7 footers on the bench) was JR Henderson - a 6'8 205 lb FRESHMAN combo forward.

That was a 7 man rotation for the title run - C: Zidek, PF: Ed Obannon, SF: Charles O'Bannon, PG: Tyus Edney and SF: Toby Bailey, with Cameron Dollar and JR as the backups.    Ed, Charles, Zidek and Edney played their respective positions exclusively.  But Dollar filled in at both Guard Spots, Bailey played both guard and backup SF, and JR played C, PF and even some SF.  In the title game vs Arkansas, it was a 6 man rotation, as Tyus tried to play with a broken wrist, but only got the 90 seconds at the start before he had to sit.   

This is Steve Lavin.   Don't be surprised to see anyone from  GG to Norvel to Jakarr to Mo playing minutes at the 5.  In fact, don't be surprised to see any player playing any position (well, Stith anywhere but the backcourt WOULD be  a shock - but any of the other guards playing on the wing, or any of the wings playing in the backcourt or one of the Posts is certainly a possibility)...

LJSA

« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2011, 03:28:00 AM »
In fact, don't be surprised to see any player playing any position (well, Stith anywhere but the backcourt WOULD be  a shock - but any of the other guards playing on the wing, or any of the wings playing in the backcourt or one of the Posts is certainly a possibility)...

I definitely predict a Greene/Lindsey/Harrison/Pointer/Harkless sighting against one of our weaker opponents.

kob24

« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2011, 10:04:23 AM »

GG isn't a self-loathing closet homosexual.
i am at my computer dying with laughter right now. you guys are hilarious.

« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2011, 07:07:18 PM »
I think GG is a bandaid with his size and experience, but a Lavin bandaid is better than what a lot of schools bring in as their top recruit.  He is intelligent, a good kid off the court, God-fearing, and is 30 lbs heavier and a world stronger than anyone else we have right now.  He seems to have some fire too...Coker didn't.

I agree Coker was awful. But who backsup GG, Phil Greene?
Just a guess, but maybe the rivals #1 ranked center Norvel Pelle? :idiot2:

I was thinking both would be on the court at same time, but you might be right

I don't think we'll see both on the court all that much.  We will at times against big teams, but often we'll go "small" and see a guy like Jakarr or Harkless in there at PF with our other wings at the same time.  I think Pelle and GG will most often alternate at center

Pelle better pan out, cause I just heard GG is a beast but not good. Also Harkless and Sampson are taller than GG
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:26:22 PM by Marco Baldi »

I am just happy that Gift is not another Dele Coker or Abe Keita.. that was my fear before seeing him in person.. just watching him during their round robin, I could tell that he is more athletic than Coker and hopefully that could translate to less useless fouls and better offensive putbacks.. he actually did the eastbay funk dunk (ball between the legs in midair)

sju89tr

I am just happy that Gift is not another Dele Coker or Abe Keita.. that was my fear before seeing him in person.. just watching him during their round robin, I could tell that he is more athletic than Coker and hopefully that could translate to less useless fouls and better offensive putbacks.. he actually did the eastbay funk dunk (ball between the legs in midair)

He is a nice athletic big man, probably would be better suited for the 4. I was impressed with his quickness at the tip off

MCNPA

He is a nice athletic big man, probably would be better suited for the 4. I was impressed with his quickness at the tip off

Let's hope we can get Norvel cleared for December.  It would help both guys.

Poison

Let's hope that Norvel can get Norvel cleared.

MCNPA

With the NCAA handing out the decisions haphazardly, its not always just in the kid's hands.  Yes, if all the kids aced all their tests through their career they wouldn't be in that position.  Norvel seems to be getting A's at Phelps now.  I don't know what he needs to make it on board in December though, so I can't say.

Can't resist another opportunity... Quick off the floor, then lays down The Hammer...

With the NCAA handing out the decisions haphazardly, its not always just in the kid's hands.  Yes, if all the kids aced all their tests through their career they wouldn't be in that position.  Norvel seems to be getting A's at Phelps now.  I don't know what he needs to make it on board in December though, so I can't say.
Actually, the 2A is not haphazard - they are nailing everyone this year.  Blackshear's gonna fall next, then Alex Len at Maryland.  The key will be the followup appeals and how good the paperwork is.  The 2A is trying to discourage schools from taking on borderline players.  It won't stop schools, but the 2A's hypocrisy lies out in front for all to see.  No active education program given to HSers and their admins.  Many admins try, but they're not getting through enough to the guys who need it most.

Moose

Actually, the 2A is not haphazard - they are nailing everyone this year.  Blackshear's gonna fall next, then Alex Len at Maryland.  The key will be the followup appeals and how good the paperwork is.  The 2A is trying to discourage schools from taking on borderline players.  It won't stop schools, but the 2A's hypocrisy lies out in front for all to see.  No active education program given to HSers and their admins.  Many admins try, but they're not getting through enough to the guys who need it most.

Blackshear is supposed to get cleared according to some 'experts'.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

They declared 3 of our guys ineligible just because they didn't believe their grades from a previously NCAA approved school. If they weren't going to accept grades from Rise academy, then they should have said so prior.  Making a decision like that at the last minute when the kids had requisite grades is indeed haphazard.  The staff nor the kids had any way of knowing and they did take the classes they needed to. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:14:31 PM by MCNPA »

Moose

A dunk line is a dunk line but to dispel the Coker comparisons Gift was throwing down between the legs windmill dunks on Friday.  I don't think Coker could have ever even attempted anything like that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:16:24 PM by Moose »

A dunk line is a dunk line but to dispel the Coker comparisons Gift was throwing down between the legs windmill dunks on Friday.  I don't think Coker could have ever even attempted anything like that.

From what I had heard from multiple people on this site Coker was the greatest warmup player of all time. Unfortunately during games he turned into Sean Muto.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:19:03 PM by we are sju »

Moose

From what I had heard from multiple people on this site Coker was the greatest warmup player of all time. Unfortunately during games he turned into Sean Muto.

Coker couldnt jump over a phone book.