Phillip Greene - G - IMG Academy - Chicago, IL - ST. JOHN'S

• 153 replies

Poison

Re: Phillip Greene - G - IMG Academy - Chicago, IL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
It would be great to dip into Chicago and find a true sleeper.
We've talked about our bread and butter being the top high school kids,
but Chicago's talent destroys ours on NY's best day.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »
Per Rivals....

Phil Greene, PG/SG, IMG- The question is, which Phil Greene is the real Phil Greene? Is he the guy who struggled with his decisions and shot for the better part of two games? Or, is he the guy who put his team on his shoulders and knocked down some tough, contested and deep jumpers while leading his team on a furious comeback that fell just short against Oak Ridge? High majors are watching him closely and he definitely has the athleticism and quickness to play on that level. He also demonstrated that he can make some difficult shots. Now, can he show the feel and consistent decision making of a high major guy?

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1171691

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
i want phil greene to round out the class. hell give us more ball handling shooting and defense.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 12:32:38 PM »
Perhaps he's a JUCO kind of guy. It keeps sounding like teams like him, but not enough to really woo him.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 01:17:05 PM »
Perhaps he's a JUCO kind of guy. It keeps sounding like teams like him, but not enough to really woo him.

He's more than a "JUCO kind of guy."  He has offers from several high majors (St. John's being one of 'em), but his coach at IMG doesn't want his kids to focus on college 'til the spring.  What could happen while he wait 'til the spring is some high majors may rescind their offers, if he has a few more games like he had over the weekend.

He's played fairly well for the most part this season.  He probably didn't fare too well (inconsistent) over the weekend and need to remain focused throughout the remainder of the season.  Considering, we won't need immediate help from him next season....  He's probably worth the offer. 

We'll find out more in the spring.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:19:13 PM by mjdinkins »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »
He's more than a "JUCO kind of guy."  He has offers from several high majors (St. John's being one of 'em), but his coach at IMG doesn't want his kids to focus on college 'til the spring.  What could happen while he wait 'til the spring is some high majors may rescind their offers, if he has a few more games like he had over the weekend.

He's played fairly well for the most part this season.  He probably didn't fare too well (inconsistent) over the weekend and need to remain focused throughout the remainder of the season.  Considering, we won't need immediate help from him next season....  He's probably worth the offer. 

We'll find out more in the spring.
Nothing wrong with a year extra to work out a guy's game, gain some weight as well - if he's not getting the solid offers he thinks he should get.  I think he'll wait til the spring as well; there's a lot of room for players to get to a better school if they play decently and are available at the end of the recruiting year. So many schools have whiffed on top-100 players (like UCLA), they might be handing out offers they wouldn't have in the fall to players who can play a little.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 03:38:22 PM »

I think this is waaaaaaaaay off.  His coach isn't letting him take visits, so there really isn't much that can be done right now.  If he's eligible he'll be playing at a high major. 

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 01:02:38 PM »
Greene to be in NYC to see the Johnnies beat the 'Cuse.   ;)

Greene, a 6-2 point guard, is now attending the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., after transferring from Chicago's Julian High. He has reportedly also received interest from Arizona State, West Virginia, Oklahoma State and Oregon. Kansas reportedly also is expressing interest now.

Greene's great speed would lend itself well to the Johnnies' transition game. He could log minutes at both guard positions, but a high basketball IQ and an ability to involve others well make him an excellent candidate to get most of his minutes at point guard.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/basketcase/2011/01/chicago-area-recruit-phil-greene-expected-to-attend-st-johns-syracuse-at-garden

Poison

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 12:51:17 AM »
Can he shoot?

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »
I hope to God the snow kept him away from last nights game. Dear God, as a catholic school please grant me that one prayer thanks

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 11:14:49 AM »

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »
I hope to God the snow kept him away from last nights game. Dear God, as a catholic school please grant me that one prayer thanks

He'll be there on Sunday.

By the way, read more and post less.

gonzalo

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:08:43 PM by gonzalo »

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »
Espn doesn´t agree to you.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103125/phillip-greene

And?  He's a capable shooter from outside.  Of course, he isn't a JJ Reddick-deadeye shooter.  But, he is quite capable from shooting behind the arc.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:46:45 PM by mjdinkins »

gonzalo

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103125/phillip-greene

And?  He's a capable shooter from outside.  Of course, he isn't a JJ Reddick-deadeye shooter.  But, he is quite capable from shooting behind the arc.

Some of our actual players are quite capable from shooting behind the arc, too.

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 02:05:20 PM »

Some of our actual players are quite capable from shooting behind the arc, too.

He is a kid who can hit shots from behind the arc.  What else you want me to say?  He's a JJ Redick-clone?

Poison

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »
There's was a recruit there last night. I don't know what Greene looks like. Post a photo and I'll tell you if it was him.
Okay, I just looked him up. It wasn't him.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:24:34 PM by Poison »

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 06:42:30 PM »
Can he shoot?

HAHA, and does he get back on D after his shot gets blocked?

Moose

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »
There's was a recruit there last night. I don't know what Greene looks like. Post a photo and I'll tell you if it was him.
Okay, I just looked him up. It wasn't him.

There was talk of Isaiah Lewis going to the game.  Also article I posted on Redmen about how Cuse is his dream school.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 02:10:53 PM »
As per Recruitscoop

Due to the snow, Phil Greene '11 of Chicago will not be attending the St. John's game tonight. He will attend their game on Sunday, though.