Dom Pointer -SF- Quality Education Academy - Detroit, MI - ST. JOHN'S

• 207 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
AdamZagoria:  6-4 G Dominique Pointer of Quality Education in N.C. will visit St. John's Sept. 17-19

[tweet]http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/22093909075[/tweet]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:41:38 PM by kjd01067 »

Re: Dominique Pointer - SF - Quality Education Academy, Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »
I wasn't aware he played for 'The Family' AAU team.

6'5" Dominique Pointer is a Freak Athlete (Underrated 2011 SF)

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »
Seems he's from Michigan not NC,  just playing prep or HS in NC.

Scout has him listed as 6'5" their #18 SF
With offer from Michigan (State?)

Rivals has him as 6'4" ranked #81

is it an official or unofficial ?
Either way the more top 100 kids Lavin gets to visit the better
Molloy '71

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »

He is a Michigan native, steve.  I'm gonna assume it's an official by looking at those dates (weekend).

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:13:24 PM »

He has an offer from U Michigan (they've been on them for a while).  And yeah, he's from Michigan, but generally we've been putting the area the player is playing in over the place where he's from in these threads.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »

He has an offer from U Michigan (they've been on them for a while).  And yeah, he's from Michigan, but generally we've been putting the area the player is playing in over the place where he's from in these threads.
Dom Pointer is a big-time athlete, who plays now at Q Miller's old school.
He played well at the LeBron James Skills Academy and the King City Classic, after being a late selection.

Michigan offered him and he played a little with Michigan's top commit Carlton Brundidge, who was The Family's best scorer.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »

Dom can play the 2 or the 3, but I think he'll initially be a short 3 at the high-major level.
His rankings are based more on potential than demonstrated production.

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:00:12 PM »
Per Scout.com (via Moose on Redmen.com)....  ""Dom Pointed Toward Five"

"Dom Pointer was not on the Scout.com Top 100 radar prior to the summer. A month later, the hard playing forward debuted at No. 81 and has five strong suitors."

According to Pitts, the 6-foot-5 small forward rests at five schools. �He�s going to visit West Virginia, Tennessee, St. John�s, Michigan and DePaul.�
Pointer is a Detroit native and the Wolverines want him. Pitts doesn�t see any lean one way or another. �He�s indicated that he�s looking for the perfect fit. Obviously, he�s from Michigan and he�s a Detroit guy but I wouldn�t say that�s the favorite. He told me he wants to see every school and sit down with the staff to see what�s the perfect fit for him.�

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=997937&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2%2f997937.html

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »
Per Zags....  Down to the Johnnies, WVU and Michigan.

Dominique Pointer, a 6-foot-5, 190-pound small forward from Detroit, is down to three schools.

His father, Tony Nolan, said Wednesday by phone Pointer is considering St. John’s, West Virginia and Michigan.

“Yes, we are,” he said.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/08/dominique-pointer-down-to-3/

gonzalo

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 02:22:38 AM »
Very interesting. A local team and two Big East teams.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
Very interesting. A local team and two Big East teams.
Made a call to an independent Michigan writer
He said their scholarship issue is very tight in '11 and need a big, but their staff hopes that the family's proximity (less than an hour) to the campus will win the day. They've felt relatively strong in this recruitment.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
His game looks perfect for our running system.  I can't even imagine having two athletes like him and Polee on the court at once.  I don't know about wins or losses, but we'd be on SportCetnter Top Ten every night.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
His game looks perfect for our running system.  I can't even imagine having two athletes like him and Polee on the court at once.  I don't know about wins or losses, but we'd be on SportCetnter Top Ten every night.
He's slightly ahead of Kennedy at the same stage, but Kennedy came out in a deeper year.

Beilein, for all of the hullaballoo, hasn't exactly put Michigan back on the map and he just lost Mike Jackson (his Detroit connect) to Purdue & a pair of Wooden watch list kids (who he inherited) off of a 17 loss team.

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 07:27:17 PM »
He's slightly ahead of Kennedy at the same stage, but Kennedy came out in a deeper year.

Beilein, for all of the hullaballoo, hasn't exactly put Michigan back on the map and he just lost Mike Jackson (his Detroit connect) to Purdue & a pair of Wooden watch list kids (who he inherited) off of a 17 loss team.

NTSG you've seen all these top kids play. Who do you like better. Garrett or Pointer ?

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »

NTSG you've seen all these top kids play. Who do you like better. Garrett or Pointer ?
That's a relatively close one, MJ, but, considering our additions in the last five months (Harkless and Polee) , I'd opt for Garrett.

Garrett has a slightly better 3-point stroke (which, God knows, we can't take for granted). Pointer can hit it, but he's got to be wide open and have enough time to get his feet set. Both can slash and play well in the open court, but need to work on their handle in the half-court, when defenders get in their grill. They get a little flustered. Dom Pointer is more physical (which may be better suited to physical leagues like the BE or B10) on defense and doesn't mind contact on his slashes or put backs, where he gets a lot of his points.

With a year left in his hs career and concentrating on this sport, I think Garrett will really benefit from Michael Peck at Findlay as well as the facilities and competition, both in practice and w/ their very challenging schedule, that he'll receive there.

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
I dont think this was posted, but I saw this on Rivals as of 9/15...

Dominique Pointer: The 6-5 small forward, Rivals.com's No. 81 player in his class, has Michigan in his final three with St. John's and West Virginia. Some close to him would like him to stay closer to home (which is Roseville, Mich.) … others are pulling him in different directions. However, there's growing confidence that the Wolverines might be able to land this gifted athlete.

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 10:03:20 AM »
I dont think this was posted, but I saw this on Rivals as of 9/15...

Dominique Pointer: The 6-5 small forward, Rivals.com's No. 81 player in his class, has Michigan in his final three with St. John's and West Virginia. Some close to him would like him to stay closer to home (which is Roseville, Mich.) … others are pulling him in different directions. However, there's growing confidence that the Wolverines might be able to land this gifted athlete.

Can you post a link?

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 10:23:25 AM »
Here you go..

http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1126677

Oh, okay.  Thanks!

Michigan is in a good situation being it's his home state and they are receiving the last visit.  Hopefully, he gets "blown away" by the Johnnies staff and NYC over the weekend. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:23:52 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 10:29:33 AM »
Yes, I agree.  They seem to mention staying home with him alot.  Michigan just signed a player for 2012 that I believe plays the same position as him and are going after someone else that should he sign, would take minutes away from him as well.