Dom Pointer -SF- Quality Education Academy - Detroit, MI - ST. JOHN'S

• 207 replies
Re: Dom Pointer -SF- Quality Education Academy - Detroit, MI - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2011, 01:05:04 PM »
Pointer jumped to number 34 on ESPN. He's now the highest rated recruit to SJU, according to them.

gonzalo

« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2011, 03:40:36 AM »
He´ll play in the Jordan Brand Classic (April 16).

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/02/15/jordan-brand-classic-teams-announced/

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »
Pointer was considered one of the "standouts" at The Primetime Shootout during last weekend.

Dominick Pointer (Raleigh, N.C./Quality Education Academy)
2011, SF/SG, 6-5, 210
Pointer fills up the stat sheet. The ultra-athletic wing is a coach's dream because he excels in the areas that win games: defense, rebounding and hustle. He is unique in that he does not need the basketball to impact games nor does he need it to score. Pointer is great in transition and has a strong enough handle to get in the lane and score. He is a lockdown defender on the perimeter, one of the best in the country. He attacks the rim any chance he gets and is a good finisher in the paint. St. Johns has recruited quite a few wings in the 2011 class Pointer should get on the floor next year because of his hustle and ability to contribute without scoring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6124514

« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »
Jordan Brand Classic Preview - ESPN Video - ESPN

Talk about Dom Pointer last 2 min of video
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
He was compared to Andre Iguodala.

« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6304453

Dom Pointer, SF (Roseville, Mich./Quality Education Academy)
June '10: NR | Sept. '10: No. 53 | Nov. '10: No. 55 | Jan '11: No. 34 | April '11: No. 24

From our seat, Pointer has done one heckuva Andre Iguodala impersonation. Like Iguodala, Pointer was passed over by some big programs as a junior. Also like Iguodala, he's a tenacious defender, explosive athlete and ever-improving shooter. St. John's owns an exceptional recruiting class, one that has players and prospects. Our money is on Pointer being tough to beat out for minutes in the Big East, and don't be surprised when he's in the conversation for newcomer of the year in the league. He showed up in our rankings last September and has been a steady riser ever since, cracking the top 25 after an outstanding all-around performance at the All-American Championship in Houston.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kjd01067

« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2011, 02:34:07 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6361723

Jordan Brand matchups to watch

Dom Pointer vs. Michael Gilchrist
Both players are hard workers and good scorers who pride themselves on defending their opponent's best player. Gilchrist has a winner's mentality and is a force inside the arc on both ends of the floor. Pointer just never stops going and prides himself on being an opportunistic. Both also finish well in transition and are determined rebounders.

« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
Remember tonght 8 pm on espn2 Jordan Classic with Sirdom.

« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
Isn't that past your bedtime? After seeing Sir Dom in last weeks all-star game I thought he reminded me of a young Michael Jordan. After seeing him in the Jordan Classic he reminded me of a poor man's Michael Jordan which is still pretty darn good.

« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
Isn't that past your bedtime? After seeing Sir Dom in last weeks all-star game I thought he reminded me of a young Michael Jordan. After seeing him in the Jordan Classic he reminded me of a poor man's Michael Jordan which is still pretty darn good.

I dont think hell ever be the shooter that mj was, (obviously a difficult task) when i look at doms size and athleticism I see jason richardson
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting (Mike LaPlante)....  Pointer being listed amongst the top players in the southeast.

Coach Steve Lavin and the Johnnies cornered the market early and snatched up a good one before his stock soared. Pointer, who began the summer outside the ESPNU 100, rose through the ranks the old fashioned way: he earned it. The blue-collar worker brings it each time he takes the floor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6395045

« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
Hey MJ - looks like solid choices all around - the "Red Swarm" is coming next season - effort will be there, just gotta get some experience under their belt.  I hope Malik and Dwayne help in that area.  The rest is 40 minutes of hustle!

Per ESPN Recruiting (Mike LaPlante)....  Pointer being listed amongst the top players in the southeast.

Coach Steve Lavin and the Johnnies cornered the market early and snatched up a good one before his stock soared. Pointer, who began the summer outside the ESPNU 100, rose through the ranks the old fashioned way: he earned it. The blue-collar worker brings it each time he takes the floor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6395045

« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2011, 09:03:40 PM »
Hey MJ - looks like solid choices all around - the "Red Swarm" is coming next season - effort will be there, just gotta get some experience under their belt.  I hope Malik and Dwayne help in that area.  The rest is 40 minutes of hustle!

The "Red Swarm" is definitely on the horizon, purist.  I believe Polee should be able to aide in the experience department.  Stith could possibly do the same, if he's here.  I think we'll have our rough patches, but could certainly be a formidable group halfway through the season.  Pointer being one of the kids leading the way.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:05:17 PM by mjdinkins »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2011, 12:43:58 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/04/23/2011-04-23_growing_hoops_program_in_north_carolina_raising_ncaa_eyebrows_over_schools_quali.html

On Quality Education as a basketball factory. The NCAA is looking into QEA's academics:

Time spent at Quality, however, will not necessarily ensure clearance to play at a Division I program. Even as college coaches parade across campus to procure talent, the NCAA is scrutinizing Quality's academics in light of red flags being raised about course work and an atypical student body. At stake is the eligibility of players who have committed to Arizona, Wake Forest, DePaul and Wyoming as well as a clarification of a glaring question: Is the school a legitimate educational institution or a basketball factory posing as a safe house.

"We're working with Quality Education Academy on their list of NCAA-approved core courses," NCAA spokesman Chuck Wynne told the Daily News in an email. "In the interim, prospective student-athletes from the school will have their academic records looked at on a case-by-case basis when it comes to initial eligibility."

Pointer has seen a leap in grades, according to the article... FYI. Any thoughts, folks? NTSG?

« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »
Lets hope the NCAA doesnt screw us when they review his grades

MCNPA

« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2011, 02:29:35 PM »
Lets hope the NCAA doesnt screw us when they review his grades

Can only hope.  NCAA can't say or do anything about his grades themselves.  They can just look at the coursework and whether the courses at QEA meet their criteria.  My guess is that it probably will, as these schools that are centered around basketball generally do their due diligence when it comes to this stuff.  That said, QEA isn't the only school out there like this.  Not by a longshot.  Regardless would hate to lose Sir'Dom as an academic casualty and hopefully/likely we will not. 

Moose

« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2011, 06:40:12 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/04/23/2011-04-23_growing_hoops_program_in_north_carolina_raising_ncaa_eyebrows_over_schools_quali.html

On Quality Education as a basketball factory. The NCAA is looking into QEA's academics:

Time spent at Quality, however, will not necessarily ensure clearance to play at a Division I program. Even as college coaches parade across campus to procure talent, the NCAA is scrutinizing Quality's academics in light of red flags being raised about course work and an atypical student body. At stake is the eligibility of players who have committed to Arizona, Wake Forest, DePaul and Wyoming as well as a clarification of a glaring question: Is the school a legitimate educational institution or a basketball factory posing as a safe house.

"We're working with Quality Education Academy on their list of NCAA-approved core courses," NCAA spokesman Chuck Wynne told the Daily News in an email. "In the interim, prospective student-athletes from the school will have their academic records looked at on a case-by-case basis when it comes to initial eligibility."

Pointer has seen a leap in grades, according to the article... FYI. Any thoughts, folks? NTSG?

I remember when we first were mentioned with Pointer there was talk about bad academics back home in Detroit which facilitated the move to QEA.  The article looks like its starting to stir trouble, and I'm not saying that because and STJ player is involved.  I'd say the same thing if there wasn't.  One little quote from the NCAA.  Nice investigative reporting.  How bout digging more there?

My biggest gripe is what is the NCAA doing right now?  Why is this taking so long.  All it does is not only hamper the school if a player is ruled ineligible but also the kid.  It's April.  The school year is almost over.  What is taking the NCAA so long to officially certify them?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2011, 06:47:56 PM »
He scratched the surface with this article. If he kept digging he could have named a dozen schools which are similar if not worse.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. A lot of these academic institutions are filled with misfits who are looking to go to college. At the end of the day they are getting the opportunity to continue their education and play college basketball. I could think of a lot of worse outcomes.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
He scratched the surface with this article. If he kept digging he could have named a dozen schools which are similar if not worse.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. A lot of these academic institutions are filled with misfits who are looking to go to college. At the end of the day they are getting the opportunity to continue their education and play college basketball. I could think of a lot of worse outcomes.

Bingo. Half the prep schools in New England including ND and Brewster are basically basketball factories.

And Michigan and SJU thoroughly checked him out and see no issue with him.